The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rallycross2
I'm thinking of doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry in A2. If anyone has taken this combination of subjects can you tell me how you found it and whether Maths is as difficult later on in the course as people tend to say?

I sorry if I have posted this on the wrong thread. Just that I've only been on for 2 days.

I am currently doing that and I am finding the combination ok.Maths is more difficult but to be honest it will be just like the way you felt after finishing GCSE's and scared about the transition to AS.
If you are good at maths then you wil be fine. If you are not then you wil just have to work harder and know what h course wants from you, which is to solve problems.

The specification helps a lot as there are somethings they will expect and that way you will have no surprises in the exams.

Maths is pretty cool tbh. Physics A2 is exciting and interesting however it is less interesting than the other two subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 601
Original post by im so academic
How did they manage that?

What about people getting A*/A from Cs?

They retook an AS exam or two and performed well at A2.

If you have a C and you want an A*, you can achieve it.

But you will need one fundamental thing

Spoiler

I was so stressed when I got my AS results that I won't get in any decent uni for engineering, got AABD, predicted AAAB after alot of explaining n guilt tripping haha :P got an offer from Manchester! :biggrin:
Original post by 786arslan
I was so stressed when I got my AS results that I won't get in any decent uni for engineering, got AABD, predicted AAAB after alot of explaining n guilt tripping haha :P got an offer from Manchester! :biggrin:

What form of engineering? Mechanical or...?
Original post by mikaela_pascal
What form of engineering? Mechanical or...?

Yeah mechanical, are you applying for engineering or Manchester too?
Yeah, applying for Aerospace at Manchester hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, applying for Aerospace at Manchester hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats cool man, goodluck :smile: have you sent off your ucas?
I'm still in AS lol, my bad I should have mentioned that. (Btw, I should be in A2 but I'm resitting)

What subjects are you doing?
I resat AS too, currently doing maths physics electronics and RS, wbu? Did you underachieve? Doing same subjects?
Underachieved big time. I'm doing maths, physics, geography and DT

How were your AS grades last year then?
Thats an odd combo, I heard geographys solid, shouldve taken one easy one! Haha are they the same as what you did last yr? What did you get?

I didnt know what I wanted to do so didnt really work at all, was studying chemistry biology maths n RS, got DEUC (respectively)
I did maths, computing, IT and law (didn't know what I wanted to do) and got DDEU respectively.

Tbh, geography isn't all that bad.
I did maths, computing, IT and law (didn't know what I wanted to do) and got DDEU respectively.

Tbh, geography isn't all that bad.

good luck man! You need to get at least a high BBC this year to get predicted AAB for engineering!
Thanks man, where else have you applied?
Has anyone ever or do you know of anyone who has gone from a D at AS to an overall A in chemistry? I'm doing A2 chem and also trying to revise for my AS retakes at the same time but I'm feeling so demotivated. Feel as if what I'm trying to achieve is impossible :frown:
Original post by Crystal4
Has anyone ever or do you know of anyone who has gone from a D at AS to an overall A in chemistry? I'm doing A2 chem and also trying to revise for my AS retakes at the same time but I'm feeling so demotivated. Feel as if what I'm trying to achieve is impossible :frown:

I went from a C at AS to an A* overall (retaking some of AS). I just used both course textbooks (OCR) and also used a more 'challenging' textbook. I probably ended up spending the same amount of time on chemistry as I did my other four subjects combined.
In the exact position as you atm, I got D in chemistry too, but have decided to only resit unit 2 as it equals up to more percentage. Reconsidering resitting unit 1? But not sure. I'm basically going over all the A2 stuff we covered so far as it is harder and don't want to fall behind. Try really hard with your A2 stuff as you won't be able to resit it
Original post by Noble.
I went from a C at AS to an A* overall (retaking some of AS). I just used both course textbooks (OCR) and also used a more 'challenging' textbook. I probably ended up spending the same amount of time on chemistry as I did my other four subjects combined.

I'm doing OCR too. Do you have any tips? Currently I make notes on the topics from the textbooks, make sure I understand the concepts and then do past paper questions for that specific topic. Is there anything else I could be doing?
Original post by Crystal4
I'm doing OCR too. Do you have any tips? Currently I make notes on the topics from the textbooks, make sure I understand the concepts and then do past paper questions for that specific topic. Is there anything else I could be doing?

I essentially ended up making notes from these three textbooks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Chemistry-Student-Book-CD-ROM/dp/0435691988

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-CD-ROM-Cambridge-Advanced-Sciences/dp/0521746043/ref=pd_sim_b_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CRRQR1JY30PV5ED6JWY

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Chemistry-Textbook-Mike-Smith/dp/1844894355/ref=pd_sim_b_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=13G7FR7CNMZJGSBTTTNQ

Which, needless to say, was complete overkill - but it did make the exams incredibly straight-forward.

Quick Reply

Latest