The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had people been sending cover letters for jpm? It's not clear whether to attach one or not
Original post by Drossell
Had people been sending cover letters for jpm? It's not clear whether to attach one or not

Whenever there's an option to, do it! :smile:
Rare niced me, I have events at JPM and GS during november, to assist with connects. Hope to get some relevant HR connects.
Original post by welcometoib
have bnpp taken the spring week off their site? started an app 2 weeks ago but now cant find it anywhere

This is what I was wondering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you guys mentioning names of people you've met on all your cover letters?
Reply 1385
Original post by Refrigerator

Only do it if you've been in touch with them and they'll know your name if asked about you.
Original post by CD315
Only do it if you've been in touch with them and they'll know your name if asked about you.

That makes sense, thanks
Original post by Refrigerator

No, despite knowing people, just no.
CS IBD rejection, ofcourse
Original post by Anonynous
No, despite knowing people, just no.

Explain

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
Explain

I felt it was not approriate. As I doubt I know people enough for a vouch.
I felt it was not approriate. As I doubt I know people enough for a vouch.

But are they really going to ask that person for a vouch? Think of how many thousands of applications the bank must get, are they really going to write an email to someone every time that they get someones name mentioned in a cover letter?

If you know someone well enough to get a referral from, then they'll give you a referral for an interview. I don't see a problem with mentioning a name if you actually spoke with them as it shows an interest in the bank/division.
Original post by Bloxorus
But are they really going to ask that person for a vouch? Think of how many thousands of applications the bank must get, are they really going to write an email to someone every time that they get someones name mentioned in a cover letter?

If you know someone well enough to get a referral from, then they'll give you a referral for an interview. I don't see a problem with mentioning a name if you actually spoke with them as it shows an interest in the bank/division.

Regardless, I didn't mention any specific names in cover letters. There was sections on some applications to mention anyone you knew in the bank, which I utilised.
Reply 1393
Original post by Bloxorus

Regardless, I didn't mention any specific names in cover letters. There was sections on some applications to mention anyone you knew in the bank, which I utilised.

Every person from HR I've spoken to within the past few weeks has said they'll ask the analyst in question. If they don't know who you are, it's a pointless task. If they do and can say you're a sound guy, then it'll count for a lot.
Original post by CD315
Every person from HR I've spoken to within the past few weeks has said they'll ask the analyst in question. If they don't know who you are, it's a pointless task. If they do and can say you're a sound guy, then it'll count for a lot.

What if you write something like this in your cover letter:

"(...) During a recent company presentation at our school I met and spoke to XXX, analyst. He made me really excited about the culture of your firm and inspired me to apply." (something like that)

Would that really be disastrous? :s-smilie:
Original post by CD315

what if you spoke to the actual hr recruiter but in an informal environment that didn't really consist of talking about the bank, how would that be perceived in a cover letter/if not banking talk related what the hell would I say we spoke about lol.
RBS logic is not a joke. -.-

in the practice I got above average. But the real one got me ****ed up.
HSBC seems to have a really short process, it's quite unexpected really
Original post by MathsNerd1
HSBC seems to have a really short process, it's quite unexpected really

comp qs, test, interview? Standard of most banks isn't it?
Original post by welcometoib
comp qs, test, interview? Standard of most banks isn't it?

I got told by HR tonight that it is just the app and then interview, no test, however I'm yet to submit my application so can't say if what she said is true or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending