The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What about the fact that they have to ask for the next of kin's permission, even if the person themselves was happy to donate? Should the corpse essentially be inherited along with everything else?
Original post by MangoFreak
Sure it should be the person's choice, but I don't consider a corpse a person. I will not support a culture in which the "rights" of corpses are held above saving people who aren't corpses.

Yes, it does beg the question "Does a corpse have human rights? ". (In my opinion, no.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who else is finding A2 soooo much harder than AS?!:eek:
Original post by O133
What about the fact that they have to ask for the next of kin's permission, even if the person themselves was happy to donate? Should the corpse essentially be inherited along with everything else?

Shouldn't be down to family imo, if the deceased is on the register.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Shouldn't be down to family imo, if the deceased is on the register.

As far as I believe it is though. And because the organs need to be harvested so quickly after death the police essentially have to knock on the next of kin's door and say that the deceased is dead in the same sentence as asking for the organs.
Original post by O133
As far as I believe it is though. And because the organs need to be harvested so quickly after death the police essentially have to knock on the next of kin's door and say that the deceased is dead in the same sentence as asking for the organs.

Yeah that's how it works. My Gran died and she always told me that she wanted to donate. They asked for her eyes and my uncle said no because it made him feel 'uncomfortable' :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's how it works. My Gran died and she always told me that she wanted to donate. They asked for her eyes and my uncle said no because it made him feel 'uncomfortable' :angry:

It's not a great situation to be in and really the NoK should respect the wishes of the deceased (I can see why the eyes might make someone uncomfortable though).

It does however raise the question over whether the human rights are essentially handed over to the NoK at birth, and whether that is how it ought to work.

It's as interesting (and polarising) a debate as whether foetuses should have human rights (I don't believe they should btw).
Original post by O133
It's not a great situation to be in and really the NoK should respect the wishes of the deceased (I can see why the eyes might make someone uncomfortable though).

It does however raise the question over whether the human rights are essentially handed over to the NoK at birth, and whether that is how it ought to work.

It's as interesting (and polarising) a debate as whether foetuses should have human rights (I don't believe they should btw).

I think a foetus should be considered a person by the time it starts kicking etc. and should hence have rights

A corpse should not because of the corpse itself but I sort of believe that the 'memory' of a person should have rights and that someones wishes in life over their own property should be obeyed in death. It's essentially like a will for your corpse.
I think a foetus should be considered a person by the time it starts kicking etc. and should hence have rights

A corpse should not because of the corpse itself but I sort of believe that the 'memory' of a person should have rights and that someones wishes in life over their own property should be obeyed in death. It's essentially like a will for your corpse.

I'm no expert on wills - is it possible to, for example, give up your body for research through your will?
Original post by O133
I'm no expert on wills - is it possible to, for example, give up your body for research through your will?

I'm not entirely sure, but if not you should be able to.
Original post by xxhannahlouisexx
Who else is finding A2 soooo much harder than AS?!:eek:

Anyone else agree the jump from AS to A2 is surprisingly greater than GCSE to AS?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Anyone else agree the jump from AS to A2 is surprisingly greater than GCSE to AS?

I did for biology! I did Business Studies GCSE and I didn't find AS much harder although I only got a C for it :frown:
Original post by H.Ibrahim

I'm not finding that at all (except FP2 which has some horrible stuff in)!
Original post by O133

I agree , fp2 is the only module I'm having massive massive trouble with (in that I don't really get anything we've done so far xD)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
I agree , fp2 is the only module I'm having massive massive trouble with (in that I don't really get anything we've done so far xD)

I had a review of the inequalities and method of differences today and it wasn't too bad. I'm sort of putting off reviewing complex numbers though.
Original post by rachelc142
I can see where you are coming from, in that there really is no need to talk about it to a great extent, but as well even if somebody does choose to talk about it the judgement should not be about said sexual activity that took place

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you agree that there is a spiritual/ psychological connection intrinsic to it?
Original post by O133

A friend of mine did FP2 this year and it was his worst module, he didn't like it
Original post by xxhannahlouisexx
I did for biology! I did Business Studies GCSE and I didn't find AS much harder although I only got a C for it :frown:

Yeah A2 is annoyingly more difficult like chemistry A2, and then there's the essay in unit 5 -_-
Original post by O133
I had a review of the inequalities and method of differences today and it wasn't too bad. I'm sort of putting off reviewing complex numbers though.

Method of differences isn't bad

Transformation in the complex plane is probably hardest topic

All of this is my FP1 :cry2:
Original post by O133

So far I don't mind method of differences and higher derivatives, but all of the trig section (de moivre etc) makes me want to rip my hair out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest