The Student Room Group

As- levels -Cramming a few days before exam success stories

Poll

AS- levels- Highest possible grade you can achieve by cramming night before exam

Hi, Has anyone crammed learning/ revising a few days before for an AS- level subjects like maths, biology, chemistry and physics and ended up getting a decent grade (B+)

SHARE YOUR SUCCESS STORIES AND SHARE HOW YOU DID IT!

Scroll to see replies

Maths D1 exam i knew nothing 2 days before the exam did 1 past paper got a D, crammed using the CGP revision guide did 3 more past papers, came out the exam with an A 88/100, i wouldnt recommend this to anyone though as im sure i would have done better had i properly revised
Reply 2
Original post by Sal11
Hi, Has anyone crammed learning/ revising a few days before for an AS- level subjects like maths, biology, chemistry and physics and ended up getting a decent grade (B+)

SHARE YOUR SUCCESS STORIES AND SHARE HOW YOU DID IT!

You literally have the whole year ahead to revise in little bits. Cramming is for lazy, unmotivated people and it will both stress you out and make sure you do not reach your full potential.
Original post by suirrel
You literally have the whole year ahead to revise in little bits. Cramming is for lazy, unmotivated people and it will both stress you out and make sure you do not reach your full potential.

Totally have to agree
Reply 4
Original post by suirrel

I agree with you but worst case scenario, what is the best grade one can potentially get of the cram a few days before the exam?
Reply 5
Original post by Davothebigafro
Maths D1 exam i knew nothing 2 days before the exam did 1 past paper got a D, crammed using the CGP revision guide did 3 more past papers, came out the exam with an A 88/100, i wouldnt recommend this to anyone though as im sure i would have done better had i properly revised

Cool👍 it's good you didn't work the whole year round and pulled it off at the end, you must have a great amplitude for maths, if I'm right?
Reply 6
Original post by Sal11
I agree with you but worst case scenario, what is the best grade one can potentially get of the cram a few days before the exam?

Don't accept that as a viable scenario at all. That's my answer. If A levels were easy then everybody who did them would get at least a C and everyone who revised would get A*A*A*. :tongue:
Yeah did it for all mine. Although it wasn't necessarily few days before.

Like my second biology exam I did a few hours the week before and didn't do anything again until day before exam.

But yeah, basically, if you have to, read all your notes. Make sure you understand it.

Then do a past paper, see what you get. See what went wrong. Make sure it doesn't go wrong again.

Do another past paper. See what new mistakes you made. Never make those again.

By time you get to your next ones, you'll be making less and less mistakes and learning something new each time and then exams come and all is well!

I did Bio, chem, Physics and French AS. And Maths a2
Reply 8
Original post by suirrel
Don't accept that as a viable scenario at all. That's my answer. If A levels were easy then everybody who did them would get at least a C and everyone who revised would get A*A*A*. :tongue:

What did you get in a levels and which subjects in?
Original post by Sal11

Full marks.

French oral exam I did nothing and got full UMS

It's all about effective learning

But you have the whole year... So dont waste it and plan on last minute crams
Reply 10
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah did it for all mine. Although it wasn't necessarily few days before.

Like my second biology exam I did a few hours the week before and didn't do anything again until day before exam.

But yeah, basically, if you have to, read all your notes. Make sure you understand it.

Then do a past paper, see what you get. See what went wrong. Make sure it doesn't go wrong again.

Do another past paper. See what new mistakes you made. Never make those again.

By time you get to your next ones, you'll be making less and less mistakes and learning something new each time and then exams come and all is well!

I did Bio, chem, Physics and French AS. And Maths a2

Nice to hear the success story!

What are you doing now and what a level grades have you got?
I was a crammer last year, but I (somehow) got AAAB in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics respectively (and my B was one mark off an A).:colondollar:

Although now, looking back, I would not recommend it to anyone. I spent the entire summer stressing and worrying over my results because I knew my revision habits sucked. No idea how I came out with those grades, but I'm so relieved that my cramming didn't cause me to fail everything. Turning over a new leaf this year though, I'm posting this as I take a break from revising.:h:
Original post by Sal11
Nice to hear the success story!

What are you doing now and what a level grades have you got?

Now doing A2s in Physics, Chem, Further Maths. French as well actually

We'll see how I do this year. Probably will do the same thing
Reply 13
Original post by crozibear96
I was a crammer last year, but I (somehow) got AAAB in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics respectively (and my B was one mark off an A).:colondollar:

Although now, looking back, I would not recommend it to anyone. I spent the entire summer stressing and worrying over my results because I knew my revision habits sucked. No idea how I came out with those grades, but I'm so relieved that my cramming didn't cause me to fail everything. Turning over a new leaf this year though, I'm posting this as I take a break from revising.:h:

Well done!

Can I ask how many hours or revision you did each day before exams, what exam board did you do and how many exams did you have?
Reply 14
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Now doing A2s in Physics, Chem, Further Maths. French as well actually

We'll see how I do this year. Probably will do the same thing

Nice combination of subjects by the way
Original post by Sal11
What did you get in a levels and which subjects in?

I only just started my AS year but I have friends and family who have done A levels before me. I had an unconventional time at GCSEs which taught me the value of hard work and revision. :smile:

I'm hoping to get at least AABB at AS level this year.
Original post by Sal11
Well done!

Can I ask how many hours or revision you did each day before exams, what exam board did you do and how many exams did you have?

Thanks. ^-^

I revised for about 6 or 7 hours the day before for most of them (really bad, I know). Although I probably did two days for one of my Chemistry modules because I was having a bit of trouble with some of the content.
I'm on AQA for Chemistry and CCEA for the other three. There were two Chemistry exams (well, three. there was a practical around March time), three Maths exams, two Biology and three Physics (including a practical).
Reply 17
Original post by suirrel
I only just started my AS year but I have friends and family who have done A levels before me. I had an unconventional time at GCSEs which taught me the value of hard work and revision. :smile:

I'm hoping to get at least AABB at AS level this year.

Same! I'm hoping for Atleast B's, what do you want to do at university?
Reply 18
Original post by crozibear96
Thanks. ^-^

I revised for about 6 or 7 hours the day before for most of them (really bad, I know). Although I probably did two days for one of my Chemistry modules because I was having a bit of trouble with some of the content.
I'm on AQA for Chemistry and CCEA for the other three. There were two Chemistry exams (well, three. there was a practical around March time), three Maths exams, two Biology and three Physics (including a practical).

Sounds good, chemistry is the hardest content wise I think therefore more understanding needed, who agrees?
Original post by Sal11
Same! I'm hoping for Atleast B's, what do you want to do at university?

Veterinary Science! What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending