The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

I have to admit I didn't watch with 100% attention but I didn't think we looked that bad?

There was little pressure on the defence and they played the ball out well. Manquillo did well to get forward regularly. Surprised Enrique didn't play on the left..

The midfield pinged the ball around and you could see more of the pass and move that Rodgers started when he first came. I do wonder if it's Gerrard who stops that since he isn't as mobile? His passing (short and long) is obviously top notch.

We just lacked quality in the final third/last ball. Coutinho was the main creative spark. Interesting that Rodgers plays him as part of a midfield trio - most managers would look at his attributes and keep him on the wing imo.

Lambert does well to hold the ball up and link up with the midfield but he didn't look like much of a threat tonight?

Markovic is still struggling to adapt which is a shame. Borini looks like he was trying too hard.

Delighted for Lovren and Balotelli for getting their goals. Should hopefully do their confidence some good.

Focus back to the premier league and on Newcastle for Saturday now!
Original post by Arkasia
You could've scored in the 30 minutes, but then so could Swansea. We will never know now because the ref took off one of the most important Swansea players on the pitch.

That's a fair point, but the win was not undeserved at all.
Original post by samir12
That's a fair point, but the win was not undeserved at all.

The win after 90 minutes was. Extra-time was on the cards had the referee not intervened.
Original post by Arkasia
How is it rubbish, I highly doubt Lovren would've scored had Swansea had an extra defender on the pitch.

Besides, that's why I said "strength and character". It's the same *******s line that Wenger drags out every post-match interview, and the most infuriating excuse that basically says "we were bad but we scummed it in the last few minutes".

lovren scored in to an empty net after their keeper had a superman fail.
you "highly doubt" we would've scored?

meh, when we got a lucky winner in the QPR match i wasn't defending our performance because we didn't deserve it.
i'm not gonna lie; i'm not the manager.
if i say we deserved to win the match, i'm not lying - over the course of the game we were easily superior.
it's just getting a little stale now, arsenal have had more than their fare share of late goals so far this season and other fans have dealt with it like men.

Original post by Eboracum
To be fair I haven't seen it. At uni and no access to football whatsoever.

Ah, I don't mind. We tend to exit all cup competitions very early these days so I don't pay much attention. :colondollar:

Name on the trophy perhaps?

fair enough man - basically the referee sent somebody off for no reason and we scored pretty much as late as you can.
i know it's "only" the league cup but i would love a trophy this season.
we win so few that it would be really good for the club if we got our name on something.
that being said, chelsea are still in it so i wouldn't think so...
Original post by cBay
the American commentators on my stream were two of the dumbest people I've ever heard.

i was watching on bein sports.
wanted to kill myself.
Original post by cBay
Good performance in the first half, not so good in the second half but still better than how we've been playing in recent times. I'm very happy with how Borini played, that cross was beautiful. I want to see him starting this weekend.

Into the quarter finals, along with Bournemouth, Derby and Sheff Utd (and Chelsea). Considering the teams left, we definitely should be taking this competition seriously and trying to win it now.

Oh, and the American commentators on my stream were two of the dumbest people I've ever heard.

I think I was watching the same as you. One was particularly annoying - so much so that I wanted to rip my ears off (too lazy to get the remote to press mute).

"regulation time" - WTF?!?
Original post by Arkasia
The win after 90 minutes was. Extra-time was on the cards had the referee not intervened.

Liverpool would of won anyways imo, momentum shifted in our favour as soon as Balo equalised, would of carried that into the extra 30 minutes. Even if it went to penalties, all our players bar Sterling are boss at penalties :cool:
Borini deserves a start this weekend

Rodger's better not drop Coutinho as well, you can just see it happening though
Original post by Zerforax
I think I was watching the same as you. One was particularly annoying - so much so that I wanted to rip my ears off (too lazy to get the remote to press mute).

"regulation time" - WTF?!?

Glad my stream didn't work now :biggrin:

Think I would have killed someone.

Did my history essay instead :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
lovren scored in to an empty net after their keeper had a superman fail.
you "highly doubt" we would've scored?

meh, when we got a lucky winner in the QPR match i wasn't defending our performance because we didn't deserve it.
i'm not gonna lie; i'm not the manager.
if i say we deserved to win the match, i'm not lying - over the course of the game we were easily superior.
it's just getting a little stale now, arsenal have had more than their fare share of late goals so far this season and other fans have dealt with it like men.

fair enough man - basically the referee sent somebody off for no reason and we scored pretty much as late as you can.
we win so few that it would be really good for the club if we got our name on something.

Yeah, if they had a defender then maybe you wouldn't have had the free kick, or the defender would've been marking Lovren, or would've cleared it. Who knows. I'm not defending Arsenal, I'm pissed off at how badly we have been playing.

Original post by Lúcio
i was watching on bein sports.
wanted to kill myself.

Yeah, I was almost tempted to switch to that Arabic commentator one. I watch bein because its good quality and I can understand what they are saying, I just usually don't agree.
Original post by Lúcio

Yes. I'd love to win the League Cup as well. People only say "it's only the league cup" when they get knocked out. Well, good luck for the rest of the competition. Are Manchester City and Arsenal still in I lose track!
I have to admit I didn't watch with 100% attention but I didn't think we looked that bad?

There was little pressure on the defence and they played the ball out well. Manquillo did well to get forward regularly. Surprised Enrique didn't play on the left..

The midfield pinged the ball around and you could see more of the pass and move that Rodgers started when he first came. I do wonder if it's Gerrard who stops that since he isn't as mobile? His passing (short and long) is obviously top notch.

We just lacked quality in the final third/last ball. Coutinho was the main creative spark. Interesting that Rodgers plays him as part of a midfield trio - most managers would look at his attributes and keep him on the wing imo.

Lambert does well to hold the ball up and link up with the midfield but he didn't look like much of a threat tonight?

Markovic is still struggling to adapt which is a shame. Borini looks like he was trying too hard.

Delighted for Lovren and Balotelli for getting their goals. Should hopefully do their confidence some good.

Focus back to the premier league and on Newcastle for Saturday now!

I thought Borini did well, he wasn't amazing but it was the best I've seen from him in a Liverpool shirt. Markovic put in a shift to be fair on him, he showed some good stuff but still struggling but he'll improve with game time.
Original post by samir12
Liverpool would of won anyways imo, momentum shifted in our favour as soon as Balo equalised, would of carried that into the extra 30 minutes. Even if it went to penalties, all our players bar Sterling are boss at penalties :cool:

Well it's all just guessing now, because it didn't happen.
Original post by Deshi
Borini deserves a start this weekend

Rodger's better not drop Coutinho as well, you can just see it happening though

I didn't think he was that amazing.. who are you dropping to include Borini in the side? You'd imagine Sterling will come back in. Do you then drop Coutinho/Lallana?

Original post by Obiejess
Glad my stream didn't work now :biggrin:

Think I would have killed someone.

Did my history essay instead :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea it's very annoying. Added nothing of value and made even more stupid comments.
Original post by Eboracum
Yes. I'd love to win the League Cup as well. People only say "it's only the league cup" when they get knocked out. Well, good luck for the rest of the competition. Are Manchester City and Arsenal still in I lose track!

City, Spurs and Chelsea are the only top teams in it, Southampton too if you count them.
How pacey were we?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't think he was that amazing.. who are you dropping to include Borini in the side? You'd imagine Sterling will come back in. Do you then drop Coutinho/Lallana?

Yea it's very annoying. Added nothing of value and made even more stupid comments.

Balotelli
Sterling Coutinho Borini
Henderson Gerrard
Moreno Lovren Skrtel Manquilo

Or Coutinho can replace Can and you can put Lallana up there
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
City, Spurs and Chelsea are the only top teams in it, Southampton too if you count them.

Thanks man. Wouldn't want to play Southampton! Out of interest what happened to Manchester City and Arsenal?
Original post by Deshi
Balotelli
Sterling Coutinho Borini
Henderson Gerrard Can
Moreno Lovren Skrtel Manquilo

Or Coutinho can replace Can and you can put Lallana up there

Didn't realise you can have 12 men on the pitch :tongue:
Borini definitely deserves to start on Saturday, I'd take out Lallana since Coutinho has been in good form of late. Borini and Balotelli may be able to cause some damage on Saturday especially as Balo likes playing alongside another striker.

Quick Reply

Latest