The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotalerReinfall
Everyone's worrying about the BMAT so
The admissions tutors (at Selwyn anyway) said they always find it hard to actually see a correlation between GCSEs, UMS, BMAT and interview scores; on the FOI requests you can see so many people with 98% at AS and 3.0s in the BMAT. Relatively very few people actually get above a 6.0.
(the average applicant for Selwyn med last year had 5.1 S1, 4.7 S2)

Different colleges look at BMAT differently. In Downing last year, the successful average is 7.2, 6.7 ... LMAO :frown:
Anyway, good luck to everyone!
Reply 161
Original post by JackTeh96
Different colleges look at BMAT differently. In Downing last year, the successful average is 7.2, 6.7 ... LMAO :frown:
Anyway, good luck to everyone!

Omg why is the average for S1 always higher?!
Original post by a123a
Omg why is the average for S1 always higher?!

I have no idea!!! What do you mean by always?? Anyone knows the average for other colleges??
Reply 163
I have no idea!!! What do you mean by always?? Anyone knows the average for other colleges??

I have just generally been looking through threads, and by looking at the stats published overall on the BMAT website; S1 is always higher. How did you find out the average for your college? Do you know any others, specifically St John's?

My mock scores for S1 vary too much; from between 4.2 to 8.6. Whereas my S2 mock scores have all been above 6.9. Do you think if I get a really good S2 score, it will compensate for an average or slightly below average S1 score? Surely they look at S2 more than S1?
Original post by a123a
I have just generally been looking through threads, and by looking at the stats published overall on the BMAT website; S1 is always higher. How did you find out the average for your college? Do you know any others, specifically St John's?

My mock scores for S1 vary too much; from between 4.2 to 8.6. Whereas my S2 mock scores have all been above 6.9. Do you think if I get a really good S2 score, it will compensate for an average or slightly below average S1 score? Surely they look at S2 more than S1?

For St John i sent them an email a long time ago and they never reply.. so I have no idea, but you can check on their college website see if they published any stats there
For my college, I email them and they replied me literally within hours! ;D
Reply 165
For St John i sent them an email a long time ago and they never reply.. so I have no idea, but you can check on their college website see if they published any stats there
For my college, I email them and they replied me literally within hours! ;D

Ok thanks!!
Original post by kate1902
Downing! You? I chose it because it has a really strong medical tradition and the word beautiful was invented for that campus

SAMESIES <3 I'm applying to Downing too! maybe I'll see you at interview? haha
Original post by a123a

have you seen this document? it's got all the data on the medicine applicants and shows their BMAT scores! https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/226127/response/560253/attach/2/FOI%202014%20311%20Lawson%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

I swear the BMAT scores are surprisingly low? I mean in S1 and S2 I'm doing OK on average, say an average of 6 for S1 and 7 for S2. But I think the exam situation must really affect people as I don't feel I'm exceptional at all to get these scores
Reply 168
Original post by aprocrastinator
have you seen this document? it's got all the data on the medicine applicants and shows their BMAT scores! https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/226127/response/560253/attach/2/FOI%202014%20311%20Lawson%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

I swear the BMAT scores are surprisingly low? I mean in S1 and S2 I'm doing OK on average, say an average of 6 for S1 and 7 for S2. But I think the exam situation must really affect people as I don't feel I'm exceptional at all to get these scores

Omg! The bmat scores for the St. John's applicant are a bit lower than expected!
Are these all offer holders?
Original post by a123a
Omg! The bmat scores for the St. John's applicant are a bit lower than expected!
Are these all offer holders?

no no! they're not allowed to do that as it's such a small number there would be a high risk of identifying applicants but yeah

there are some surprising ones with people with 98% and 4 and 3 for BMAT scores!
no no! they're not allowed to do that as it's such a small number there would be a high risk of identifying applicants but yeah

there are some surprising ones with people with 98% and 4 and 3 for BMAT scores!

I am bombarded by the fact that most of the Downing applicants have 98 ums above and 7 and above in both sections in BMAT. :frown:
I am bombarded by the fact that most of the Downing applicants have 98 ums above and 7 and above in both sections in BMAT. :frown:

don't worry; if we're right for cambridge we'll get an offer, if not from Downing :wink:

(that's a big IF though)
SAMESIES <3 I'm applying to Downing too! maybe I'll see you at interview? haha

Haha for the sake of both of us, let's hope so!
Reply 173

Oh my bad :redface: I just got happy then
Which college have you applied for?
don't worry; if we're right for cambridge we'll get an offer, if not from Downing :wink:

(that's a big IF though)

Original post by kate1902
Haha for the sake of both of us, let's hope so!

Indeed, Hope we all can get in!!
Hey how are you guys scoring your bmat from raw marks to the bmat scale? Just wondering - got a rough idea of the marks required but would be good if I was following something more concrete (even though boundaries will change every year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
damn smart people, a regular peasant passing by
Reply 177
GCSEs: 6A*s, 4As
AS: AAAAA
Maths: 258/300 (sat in 2013 though)
Biology: 281/300
Chemistry: 291/300
Physics: 278/300
Further Maths: 266/300
UMS Average: 93%
SUMS: 94.4%
Would you say these are strong enough for Cambridge?
I'm applying to Downing too! *hi fellow Downing peeps*

I'm absolutely sh***ing myself for the BMAT tho. I've been getting from 5.4s to 7s in my mocks. I haven't really bothered about the writing section yet because I called up the Downing Admissions tutor and he told me that it wasn't going to be considered by the college (luckily)

JackTeh96 I wouldn't worry too much about UMS because I've got a friend at Downing whose average SUMS was 93%. I guess at the end of the day it all boils down to how much they like you at the interview
Original post by AV97
GCSEs: 6A*s, 4As
AS: AAAAA
Maths: 258/300 (sat in 2013 though)
Biology: 281/300
Chemistry: 291/300
Physics: 278/300
Further Maths: 266/300
UMS Average: 93%
SUMS: 94.4%
Would you say these are strong enough for Cambridge?

Which college are you applying?
It's really impressive, considering you are doing five subjects.

Original post by gum1941
I'm applying to Downing too! *hi fellow Downing peeps*

I'm absolutely sh***ing myself for the BMAT tho. I've been getting from 5.4s to 7s in my mocks. I haven't really bothered about the writing section yet because I called up the Downing Admissions tutor and he told me that it wasn't going to be considered by the college (luckily)

JackTeh96 I wouldn't worry too much about UMS because I've got a friend at Downing whose average SUMS was 93%. I guess at the end of the day it all boils down to how much they like you at the interview

My SUMS is alright, more worried on my BMAT. Downing seems to be really obsessed with high BMAT score, and I don't know if a 6 is a competitive score :frown:
I am also applying to Downing!Love Downing so much!

Original post by knowurstuff
damn smart people, a regular peasant passing by

Passing by to collect some offer letters from Cambridge and send it to us?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending