The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Hope the next one is a home game, enjoying going to these.
Original post by cBay
That's bull****. We beat Chelsea and Man City on the way to winning it in 2012.

Pretty sure the guys on bien sports said that too.
But then again...bien sports.

We beat Stoke, chelsea and city in 3 successive away games (then drew to city in the 2nd leg).
No team deserved to win that cup more than us.
Cardiff especially didn't - their route was insanely easy (credit for making it to the final though).

Cardiff's route:
Oxford United, Huddersfield Town, Leicester City, Burnley, Blackburn Rovers, Crystal Palace.

Liverpool's route:
Exeter City, Brighton, Stoke, Chelsea, Man City.

Like are you serious?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4682
omg, what did I just read? That is ****ing brilliant.
Either this is the most painfully pathetic troll attempt ever or we've just witnessed something truly glorious.
Reply 4684
I'm dying right now, this is just too good
Looooooooooooooooooooool RIP Bubzeh
Original post by cBay
That's bull****. We beat Chelsea and Man City on the way to winning it in 2012.

Hmm the commentator said it but he was American so I should have realised he was wrong :facepalm:

I was even at Anfield to watch the semi final against Man City that year :colondollar:
Lol at your win.

Winning at the 94th min. You man are bosses.
Original post by jam277
Lol at your win.

Winning at the 94th min. You man are bosses.

What would you call arsenal then?
Original post by Lúcio
What would you call arsenal then?

Funny.
If rodgers learned anything from last night, he should have discovered that lone strikers aren't the answer.

I'm not a massive fan of Balotelli - he needs to score much more than a single goal to make up for his performances thus far, but I think if Rodgers plays more than one striker in a match, it will make a big difference.

To be frank although we didn't score until late on, our second string team looked far more dangerous than any first XI we've put out in recent weeks.

I'm not sure about the formation we played though.
The guys at bien sports suggested we were playing Lambert up top solo with Markovic and borini wide with coutinho in behind.
Even if that is true, borini ultimately being a striker still tried to do what a striker does, getting shots off and running at defenders.
We may not have played a diamond with a pairing up top like we hoped but merely having another striker on the field means we have another player with a different mindset; a goalscoring mindset and that is what we need.

Borini surely deserves another run at the weekend; I wanna see how the two Italians work together.
Away at Newcastle - I didn't personally bother getting tickets due to financial restrictions but it isn't a bad game to test a new partnership out.
Original post by jam277
Funny.

Almost as funny as chelsea.
I didn't watch you guys last night obviously - were you dominant but just unable to score like us?
Original post by Lúcio
Almost as funny as chelsea.
I didn't watch you guys last night obviously - were you dominant but just unable to score like us?

Yeah pretty much this.

Without Hazard we are very flat in our attacking play. He is our best player make no mistake about it.
Original post by jam277
Yeah pretty much this.

Without Hazard we are very flat in our attacking play. He is our best player make no mistake about it.

I don't doubt that in the slightest - watching Hazard stroll past United players at the weekend was hilarious.
Hoping Sterling aspires to be like him to be honest.

Would very much like a trophy this season - was a real shame o do so well last year and ultimately have nothing to show for it :/
Original post by Lúcio
I don't doubt that in the slightest - watching Hazard stroll past United players at the weekend was hilarious.
Hoping Sterling aspires to be like him to be honest.

Would very much like a trophy this season - was a real shame o do so well last year and ultimately have nothing to show for it :/

Sterling does have that acceleration, he is more direct than Hazard I feel Hazard is integral to our build up play in big games because Fabregas is usually nullified and closed down, so we end up having to rely on our AMs to build up the play in the final third. It's very important to have Hazard in the team. Schurrle simply isn't creative enough and just takes long shots when he can't get in behind defences. Willian's final ball is very poor and Oscar isn't consistently creative enough.

Sterling is integral to your build up as well, but the way in which you build up(or Rodgers plans to build up) is with more pace than Chelsea's build up against weaker sides.

I think you can get a trophy this season, domestic cup probably. Chelsea simply don't have the squad to challenge on 4 fronts so I think we'll give the domestic cups a miss(bar for League cup as majority of the cup is not during business end of the season) but since you'll get to quarters or R16 in the CL you can afford to get into a good FA cup run during business end.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Sterling does have that acceleration, he is more direct than Hazard I feel Hazard is integral to our build up play in big games because Fabregas is usually nullified and closed down, so we end up having to rely on our AMs to build up the play in the final third. It's very important to have Hazard in the team. Schurrle simply isn't creative enough and just takes long shots when he can't get in behind defences. Willian's final ball is very poor and Oscar isn't consistently creative enough.

Sterling is integral to your build up as well, but the way in which you build up(or Rodgers plans to build up) is with more pace than Chelsea's build up against weaker sides.

I think you can get a trophy this season, domestic cup probably. Chelsea simply don't have the squad to challenge on 4 fronts so I think we'll give the domestic cups a miss(bar for League cup as majority of the cup is not during business end of the season) but since you'll get to quarters or R16 in the CL you can afford to get into a good FA cup run during business end.

Sterling can just run at defenders, get past 4 guys but then fluff the shot.
Hazard can just score wonder goals - the difference in shooting ability between the two is immense.

In fairness, schurrle is one of the best substitutes in the premier league.
By the way, how good actually is Willian?
I can't say I've watched him a MASSIVE amount this season but whenever I have he has totally unimpressed me :/

I think we'll go out of the CL in the first knockout round.
League cup might be a good shout if the draw is kind to us in the next round.

I say I'd like a cup but as long as we get 4th place, I don't care if we get nothing else.
Arsenal mentality here...
Original post by Lúcio
Sterling can just run at defenders, get past 4 guys but then fluff the shot.
Hazard can just score wonder goals - the difference in shooting ability between the two is immense.

In fairness, schurrle is one of the best substitutes in the premier league.
By the way, how good actually is Willian?
I can't say I've watched him a MASSIVE amount this season but whenever I have he has totally unimpressed me :/

I think we'll go out of the CL in the first knockout round.
League cup might be a good shout if the draw is kind to us in the next round.

Yeah Hazard is a better shooter from distance, Sterling is 19 so will have to train his muscles to the level that he can shoot from range like Hazard is able to(which he's not Bale or Di Maria level yet in striking the ball)

Schurrle is a good sub when a team is tired yeah, does ok when he starts and has around 15 goals in him a season so his goal tally is impressive.

Willian is frustrating, but if he just had a better end product he'd be better than Hazard. He can't make a final pass, he can't cross and he's an average finisher. It's quite frustrating as he has the qualities to make himself a top player. I've made my feelings clear on this by saying we need a right winger.
"Living life like this is so crazy,
This world is amazing,
One day you're on top and the next she having your baby" - Logic.

RIP Bubzeh.
Original post by jam277
Yeah Hazard is a better shooter from distance, Sterling is 19 so will have to train his muscles to the level that he can shoot from range like Hazard is able to(which he's not Bale or Di Maria level yet in striking the ball)

Schurrle is a good sub when a team is tired yeah, does ok when he starts and has around 15 goals in him a season so his goal tally is impressive.

Willian is frustrating, but if he just had a better end product he'd be better than Hazard. He can't make a final pass, he can't cross and he's an average finisher. It's quite frustrating as he has the qualities to make himself a top player. I've made my feelings clear on this by saying we need a right winger.

yeah, sterling is so young; it's quite astounding how much pressure is on him being still a teenager.
he's a key player for both club and country and he's barely in to his bloody career!
i'm hoping his shooting in general improves because he could score some absolutely world class goals.
if we don't get a champions league finiish in the next few seasons, i can definitely see him poached in a big money deal.

tbh you may have frustration with some of your players but your team in general is bloody amazing.
easily the best in the premier league and i'd be surprised if you didn't get to the CL semi-finals (unless you're drawn against real or bayern).
it's gonna be a good season for chelsea fans, let's hope we can say the same for us.

Quick Reply

Latest