The Student Room Group

Insurance quotes

So far these are the cheapest quotes I've gotten on these comparison websites..

1. Confused.com = Tesco £1230
2. Compare the market = Tesco £1241
3. Gocompare.com = Tesco £1362
4. Tiger.co.uk = My policy £1165
All black box insurances..

Any other better comparison websites I should check out?
I've already stated in your other thread, try Aviva. I remember when I was getting my insurance for the first time, my lowest on comparison websites was £1300~ and Aviva, fully comp quoted me £600.

Your quotes seem high for a black box. High risk area?
MoneySupermarket :smile:
Original post by ToastyCoke
I've already stated in your other thread, try Aviva. I remember when I was getting my insurance for the first time, my lowest on comparison websites was £1300~ and Aviva, fully comp quoted me £600.

Your quotes seem high for a black box. High risk area?

My aviva quote is £1865 I said in my other thread, whenever I try and get a quote individually it comes up higher than usual, only on comparison websites it comes out cheaper for some reason. And I do not live in a high risk area, I think its because I've had my license for under a month..

And you say you got £600 for fully comp for the first time?? I don't think I've heard that before.. You sure you weren't fronting?:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by daydreamer93
My aviva quote is £1865 I said in my other thread, whenever I try and get a quote individually it comes up higher than usual, only on comparison websites it comes out cheaper for some reason. And I do not live in a high risk area, I think its because I've had my license for under a month..

And you say you got £600 for fully comp for the first time?? I don't think I've heard that before.. You sure you weren't fronting?:biggrin:

Oh I missed your reply. High risk areas are generally large cities; it doesn't really mean somewhere rough.

Yep, £600 fully comp on a 1.4 corsa exclusiv; which while being an 05 plate, is almost a top of the range spec, just below the sri.

Although I think whilst looking for my first car, I was torn between a corsa c and a polo - and the polo was always coming out more expensive to insure. Any other cars in your household for a multi-policy discount?
Oh I missed your reply. High risk areas are generally large cities; it doesn't really mean somewhere rough.

Yep, £600 fully comp on a 1.4 corsa exclusiv; which while being an 05 plate, is almost a top of the range spec, just below the sri.

Although I think whilst looking for my first car, I was torn between a corsa c and a polo - and the polo was always coming out more expensive to insure. Any other cars in your household for a multi-policy discount?

Ahhh I see, I do live in London TW postcode, and the reason why I chose polo was because of its low insurance costs, corsa and the Renault clio were similar prices as well.. I was tempted to front but I'm the main driver on the vehicle v5c form so its too late for that now.. My dad has insurance with admiral hes 72 years old and pays £600 a year:s-smilie: He called them up and they quoted him £2000 with black box? lol

Actually I just found out that my policy thing I got off tiger.co.uk is with Aviva quoted me at £1165, that looks like the one I'm most likely to get.. Do you think I should ring them to try reduce the price a little?
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahhh I see, I do live in London TW postcode, and the reason why I chose polo was because of its low insurance costs, corsa and the Renault clio were similar prices as well.. I was tempted to front but I'm the main driver on the vehicle v5c form so its too late for that now.. My dad has insurance with admiral hes 72 years old and pays £600 a year:s-smilie: He called them up and they quoted him £2000 with black box? lol

Actually I just found out that my policy thing I got off tiger.co.uk is with Aviva quoted me at £1165, that looks like the one I'm most likely to get.. Do you think I should ring them to try reduce the price a little?

Ah that'll be it then. Insurers don't look at things with a real-world view, it's all stats. My quote went DOWN from keeping my car in a secure garage to out on the street.

No point really, get your own policy as the law knows all of the little tricks people try to use and you don't want your insurance to refuse to pay out if something does happen.

£1165 really isn't bad considering. I'd go for it, you have nothing to lose. Just say Direct Line or something quoted you £1025. If they say they can't go lower than £1165, you've lost nothing and you can just buy the policy online.

What's the excess with that policy with Aviva?
Ah that'll be it then. Insurers don't look at things with a real-world view, it's all stats. My quote went DOWN from keeping my car in a secure garage to out on the street.

No point really, get your own policy as the law knows all of the little tricks people try to use and you don't want your insurance to refuse to pay out if something does happen.

£1165 really isn't bad considering. I'd go for it, you have nothing to lose. Just say Direct Line or something quoted you £1025. If they say they can't go lower than £1165, you've lost nothing and you can just buy the policy online.

What's the excess with that policy with Aviva?
250, just got off the phone with Tesco to lower it, but they said they don't change the prices like aviva?
(edited 9 years ago)
I just found out when I change my primary occupation from full time student to receptionist it goes from 1165 to 1050, does it matter if I change my primary occupation to receptionist? because I work as a part time receptionist 2 days a week
So far these are the cheapest quotes I've gotten on these comparison websites..

1. Confused.com = Tesco £1230
2. Compare the market = Tesco £1241
3. Gocompare.com = Tesco £1362
4. Tiger.co.uk = My policy £1165
All black box insurances..

Any other better comparison websites I should check out?

You might find it cheaper to go to the insurance companies directly rather than going through a comparison site.
Original post by Emma:-)
You might find it cheaper to go to the insurance companies directly rather than going through a comparison site.

I've tried directly and for some reason, it costs waay more..
Not to worry now I just purchased an annual quote for £1165 under MyPolicy
I've tried directly and for some reason, it costs waay more..
Not to worry now I just purchased an annual quote for £1165 under MyPolicy

Personally, i wouldnt touch black boxes with a barge pole. But whatever floats your boat i suppose.
Original post by Emma:-)
Personally, i wouldnt touch black boxes with a barge pole. But whatever floats your boat i suppose.

I know, I don't want a black box either, but for first year of driving I want it to be cheap, not 1600+
I know, I don't want a black box either, but for first year of driving I want it to be cheap, not 1600+

For you it may be cheap- but for many others it isnt. Plus the problems people have had with them is unreal.

Quick Reply

Latest