The Student Room Group

HELP: Will it be AQA GCSE Further Additional Science or GCSE Bio, Chem and phy?

I am applying for colleges and sixth form right now. According to my teacher, I am doing GCSEs in Core science A, Additional science and further additional science. However, when I'm applying in online applications for college and sixth form, the choices for what GCSEs I have done so far is only core science, additional science but not further additional Science. However, there is GCSE in biology, chemistry and physics though. This is really confusing; about a week ago someone was complaining to the teacher that the grade we got in Core science is not important because our B1,C1 and P1 will be added to Biology, chemistry and physics instead however my teacher said that will not be the case as I officially have an A* for core science, and I will get separate certificates for additional and then further additional science.
Can someone help me out and reassure me if my A* in core is actually there or not and what should I put down when applying for college.
Sorry if this is too long, I'm getting stressed out :tongue: Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Selgomez11
I am applying for colleges and sixth form right now. According to my teacher, I am doing GCSEs in Core science A, Additional science and further additional science. However, when I'm applying in online applications for college and sixth form, the choices for what GCSEs I have done so far is only core science, additional science but not further additional Science. However, there is GCSE in biology, chemistry and physics though. This is really confusing; about a week ago someone was complaining to the teacher that the grade we got in Core science is not important because our B1,C1 and P1 will be added to Biology, chemistry and physics instead however my teacher said that will not be the case as I officially have an A* for core science, and I will get separate certificates for additional and then further additional science.
Can someone help me out and reassure me if my A* in core is actually there or not and what should I put down when applying for college

Further Additional Science is a new GCSE that was first available in Summer 2014 and I expect no one has put it in as a possibility yet - is there an option to add another subject not listed? If so you could put it there.

From what you have said I am 99% sure that you will land up with 3 GCSEs in : Science, Additional Scienec and FA Science. You could only get GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics by re-sitting the Core Science exams you have already done as all the exams for a GCSE have to be taken in the same exam season.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Further Additional Science is a new GCSE that was first available in Summer 2014 and I expect no one has put it in as a possibility yet - is there an option to add another subject not listed? If so you could put it there.

From what you have said I am 99% sure that you will land up with 3 GCSEs in : Science, Additional Scienec and FA Science. You could only get GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics by re-sitting the Core Science exams you have already done as all the exams for a GCSE have to be taken in the same exam season.

:colondollar: I feel kind of stupid now haha. Thank you, there still is not option to write a subject which is not on there. I'll just tell the college in the interview. So to get biology gcse do you need to do B1, B2, B3 all in the same year? Because I heard that the yr 10s in my school are doing Biology in year 10 and then physics and chemistry in Yr 11. Now it makes more sense :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Selgomez11
:colondollar: I feel kind of stupid now haha. Thank you, there still is not option to write a subject which is not on there. I'll just tell the college in the interview. So to get biology gcse do you need to do B1, B2, B3 all in the same year? Because I heard that the yr 10s in my school are doing Biology in year 10 and then physics and chemistry in Yr 11. Now it makes more sense :smile:

You've got it. It used to be possible to spread the exams over more than 1 exam season but when the DFE banned this, exam boards introduced Further Additional Science so you could do triple science without having to do all 9 exams at the end of Year 11. This happened for the first time last summer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Moved to Science academic help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending