The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by amyrah
How to go about the essays ? Structure ?

How important is it to include your subject knowledge or can you just write a good essay without it ? How important are essays for Geography admission ?

Thanks

It's stated on the website that the essay-section is an opportunity to show understanding of important issues etc.
But for most questions it would be enough to just have an overview on current affairs, topics that are important for society and especially identifying the context.

It seems that it's really important HOW you say what you know. So if you know a lot about the subject, good for you. But they don't care, as long as you cannot make it relevant to the question. Don't try to include everything that barely relates to the topic just to impress with your knowledge. They'll recognize it and most probably you would have 5-10 minutes less for the actual answer to the question that they consider as important.

Answer the question and include what you know in a original way and you'll be fine.
Reply 321
Could someone explain the best way to go about Q6 in the 2013 paper please?

I managed to eliminate three out of the five options but I am struggling?!

Thank you
Reply 322
Original post by Agap
It's stated on the website that the essay-section is an opportunity to show understanding of important issues etc.
But for most questions it would be enough to just have an overview on current affairs, topics that are important for society and especially identifying the context.

It seems that it's really important HOW you say what you know. So if you know a lot about the subject, good for you. But they don't care, as long as you cannot make it relevant to the question. Don't try to include everything that barely relates to the topic just to impress with your knowledge. They'll recognize it and most probably you would have 5-10 minutes less for the actual answer to the question that they consider as important.

Answer the question and include what you know in a original way and you'll be fine.

Thanks! So just keeping up to date with reliable news sources is better than me trying to get 3 geography books in before the exam ? How are you going about the structure of your answer ?
Reply 323
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked before I just did the 2009 paper and was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions: 2,6,20,31,36,37,44 and 48.

2. So to create the box you have to fold up the sides. When you fold up the sides, each side of the box becomes 40cm as 5cm is lost at each end. Then the work out volumes its width x depth x height. 40x40x5=8000

6. She put 10 litres in as it was 60c a litre and had $6. Therefore she had 15 litres. She drove for 50km so burnt off 4 litres of fuel, leaving her with 11 litres. Her tank is 50 litres meaning that she fills up with 39 litres. 39x50c is $19.50

20.For every rotation that pulley B does, pulley A does 2 as B is twice the diameter of A. Therefore B rotates 4 times every second. The pulley that's attached the B does the same amount of rotations as B. As it is 1m like A, then pulley C is 4 times the diameter, so it rotates once every second.
I hope you can work out what I mean cos I can't really think how best to explain

31. The restaurant opens 10 times a week for 45 weeks of the year. It therefore opens 450 times a year and serves an average of 20 people per opening, so it serves 9000 people a year. Food for each meal costs £5, meaning that food for the year costs £45000. It costs 1200x45 in wages which is £62400. So now work out the yearly cost of running the restaurant by adding all the costs together. 36000+9000+45000+54000 which gives you £144000. Then just divide that by the total number of meals served which is 9000, giving the answer of 16

36. So the table gives you calories burned per 500m in each session he rowed. So the first session he used 50 calories per 500m or 10 calories per 100m. He rowed 400m so used 40 calories. Second session he used 55 calories per 500m or 11 calories per 100m. He rowed 600m so used 66 calories. In the final session he used 60 calories for the first 500m(as it says) and the in the last 300m, he used 40 calories per 500m or 8 calories per 100m. So over 300m, he used 24 calories.
40+66+60+24=190

37. I'm not sure this was the right way to work it out but the flats are 20m high which is pretty much 3 times as high as the bungalow. So you want a plant that is 3 times higher than the shrub. 1.6x3 is 4.8 which is the height of the hornbeam.

I can't think how to explain 48 and I got 44 wrong myself and haven't figured it out yet
Original post by Askaud
2. So to create the box you have to fold up the sides. When you fold up the sides, each side of the box becomes 40cm as 5cm is lost at each end. Then the work out volumes its width x depth x height. 40x40x5=8000

6. She put 10 litres in as it was 60c a litre and had $6. Therefore she had 15 litres. She drove for 50km so burnt off 4 litres of fuel, leaving her with 11 litres. Her tank is 50 litres meaning that she fills up with 39 litres. 39x50c is $19.50

20.For every rotation that pulley B does, pulley A does 2 as B is twice the diameter of A. Therefore B rotates 4 times every second. The pulley that's attached the B does the same amount of rotations as B. As it is 1m like A, then pulley C is 4 times the diameter, so it rotates once every second.
I hope you can work out what I mean cos I can't really think how best to explain

31. The restaurant opens 10 times a week for 45 weeks of the year. It therefore opens 450 times a year and serves an average of 20 people per opening, so it serves 9000 people a year. Food for each meal costs £5, meaning that food for the year costs £45000. It costs 1200x45 in wages which is £62400. So now work out the yearly cost of running the restaurant by adding all the costs together. 36000+9000+45000+54000 which gives you £144000. Then just divide that by the total number of meals served which is 9000, giving the answer of 16

36. So the table gives you calories burned per 500m in each session he rowed. So the first session he used 50 calories per 500m or 10 calories per 100m. He rowed 400m so used 40 calories. Second session he used 55 calories per 500m or 11 calories per 100m. He rowed 600m so used 66 calories. In the final session he used 60 calories for the first 500m(as it says) and the in the last 300m, he used 40 calories per 500m or 8 calories per 100m. So over 300m, he used 24 calories.
40+66+60+24=190

37. I'm not sure this was the right way to work it out but the flats are 20m high which is pretty much 3 times as high as the bungalow. So you want a plant that is 3 times higher than the shrub. 1.6x3 is 4.8 which is the height of the hornbeam.

I can't think how to explain 48 and I got 44 wrong myself and haven't figured it out yet

Hi that actually makes a lot of sense so thanks! My only problem is will question 31 how do you know its open 10 times a week from the information? It's open for lunch monday to friday so that's 5 times, and then open for dinner on Tuesday and saturday so would that not equate to it being open 7 times or am I overlooking something?
Reply 325
Original post by amyrah
Thanks! So just keeping up to date with reliable news sources is better than me trying to get 3 geography books in before the exam ? How are you going about the structure of your answer ?

Look at the questions from previous years, cramming in 3 geography books will be near useless to you. The questions are designed to make you think as they want to see how you come to a conclusion and how well you argue it. Of course it'd be good to put some knowledge in to aid coming to your conclusion but that knowledge will come from reading/watching the news or having a general knowledge of current issues. They probably won't even be too fussed if you get a couple of things slightly wrong, they're keen to see how you think and your processes rather than pure knowledge.
Reply 326
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi that actually makes a lot of sense so thanks! My only problem is will question 31 how do you know its open 10 times a week from the information? It's open for lunch monday to friday so that's 5 times, and then open for dinner on Tuesday and saturday so would that not equate to it being open 7 times or am I overlooking something?

It says it is open for dinner from Tuesday TO Saturday. Basically it opens once on both Monday and Saturday, then opens twice on every other day apart from being closed on Sunday.
Reply 327
Original post by SahilM309
Hey guys, what score do you think will be the cut-off this year (obviously its not definitive, but every year colleges tend to say what the average score of those invited to interviews is).

Will each college have a different cut-off or is just based on the subject?

It depends on your subject. PPE and E&M tend to need higher scores
Original post by SahilM309
Hey guys, what score do you think will be the cut-off this year (obviously its not definitive, but every year colleges tend to say what the average score of those invited to interviews is).

Will each college have a different cut-off or is just based on the subject?

I think the cut of for an interview will probably be around 63, while people with a score of 70 have a better chance of actually receiving an offer (for PPE)

Other subjects might require a lower score though.
Reply 329
Original post by Askaud
Look at the questions from previous years, cramming in 3 geography books will be near useless to you. The questions are designed to make you think as they want to see how you come to a conclusion and how well you argue it. Of course it'd be good to put some knowledge in to aid coming to your conclusion but that knowledge will come from reading/watching the news or having a general knowledge of current issues. They probably won't even be too fussed if you get a couple of things slightly wrong, they're keen to see how you think and your processes rather than pure knowledge.

Thanks! I feel so relieved, well sort of..I've still gotta sit the exam! How are you going about structuring it ?
Original post by uls1295
I'm pretty sure it's just a bunch of paper basically. You'll definitely be given more than two sides of A4

Nope, it's only 2 sides of A4
Quick question about the actual exam. Is it 1 and half hours for the multiple choice and then 30 minutes for the essay, or just 2 hours for both. As in do you stop between the two, or could you run over 90 minutes in the first section and sacrifice some essay writing time or vice versa?

I assume they're two separate things with separate times, but I want to be sure :smile:
Original post by ernstol
I think the cut of for an interview will probably be around 63, while people with a score of 70 have a better chance of actually receiving an offer (for PPE)

Other subjects might require a lower score though.

Ahh damn...my highest score is around 63, so do you think my chances of getting an offer are low?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know exactly how much paper we get for the essay, because there's a limit isn't there?
Can someone please tell me how to do Question 30 2010!???
Also how would you go about approaching question 31 2010, because it seems very time consuming to figure out all the different combinations
Original post by MrBowcat
Can someone please tell me how to do Question 30 2010!???

I answered this by setting up a diagram/flowchart kind of thing (this would be easier with pen and paper, but I'll try my best here):

1)Fred --->£300 Bill
2)Joe---> £200 Bill
3)Fred---> £100 Joe
4)Bill--->£250 Joe
5)Joe--->£150 Fred
6)Bill--->£200 Fred

From this we can see that if Fred owes Bill £100 (£300-£200 from 1 and 6), Joe owes Fred £50 (from 3 and 5) and Bill owes Joe £50 (from 2 and 4).
Fred ----->£100 Bill
< .................-
..- ..............-
...-............<
...£50 ......£50
.........Joe

Hopefully the flowchart depicts this, but if Bill pays Joe £50, then Joe passes this £50 to Fred, Fred now only has to pay Bill £50, hence the answer is B. I sort of set this up like a vector, to show the flow of money and the overall path.

I hope this makes sense! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrBowcat
Also how would you go about approaching question 31 2010, because it seems very time consuming to figure out all the different combinations

This question was quite time consuming, but I just went through stages like this:
You can rule out the body spray double pack with free talc because you only need one body spray.

I then saw you need two shower gels, one body spray, one aftershave and one talc. You can buy two double packs (the shower gel and aftershave, and shower gel with body spray) and one talc separately, giving you a total of £8.47. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by hoollsss
Does anyone know exactly how much paper we get for the essay, because there's a limit isn't there?

Two sides of A4
Hi guys, I have just done the 2012 paper. Which I have found by far, to be the most difficult.

The numerical reasoning questions were my ruin on the paper. I have used the mark schemes and understood where I have gone wrong on some questions.

Nonetheless, I can't do Q's 2, 12 and 49. The paper is here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/136633-tsa-oxford-2012-section-1.pdf

It's a recurring pattern with me. Question 2 I'm stuck due to misapplication of speed,distance time.

Please can I have help on all three, because if I can clear the concept behind them, I will unlock a lot of progress for myself.

Look forward to your reply,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending