The Student Room Group

Scottish Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pennyarcade
Without sounding harsh, do you really think it is wise to apply to medicine with those higher grades?
Even of you do get in (I highly doubt those universities dont look at highers), how do you plan on coping with the work when you cant get As at higher?

I'm sorry, but someone had to say it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. But I know why I didn't get the grades. It was simply a case of me not studying through the year. I lost focus. Believe me, if I didn't have it in me I wouldn't be wasting my time.
As far as unis not considering the highers I have researched every single uni. And I am only applying to the one that looks at a combination of H and AH. English universities don't work like Scottish. They look at two years of work i.e As and A2. Scottish are highers or nothing.

But thanks for your honesty. Like you said someone has got to say it. Lol
Original post by cannotdecide
True. But I know why I didn't get the grades. It was simply a case of me not studying through the year. I lost focus. Believe me, if I didn't have it in me I wouldn't be wasting my time.
As far as unis not considering the highers I have researched every single uni. And I am only applying to the one that looks at a combination of H and AH. English universities don't work like Scottish. They look at two years of work i.e As and A2. Scottish are highers or nothing.

But thanks for your honesty. Like you said someone has got to say it. Lol

You do have a chance with Keele at least (I have a place and have deferred to 2015 entry). However, I can honestly say that you will have your work really cut out for you to get three As this year. I was in a similar-ish position (AAABB, so not bad but certainly not opening the doors to any Scottish Unis) and took a couple of years out of school before taking advanced highers at college. I got AAB in my three advanced highers, but I honestly know that if I had stayed at school and done them immediately after highers then I still wouldn't have been in the right frame of mind to really improve much. Not saying you can't do it- but don't think for a second you can do it and have any form of social life this year. Just power through- it's only really seven months of being a hermit to go. And keep us posted with how you do! I can't help but root for anyone who like me doesn't have the perfect five A highers ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eliza.louise.mc
You do have a chance with Keele at least (I have a place and have deferred to 2015 entry). However, I can honestly say that you will have your work really cut out for you to get three As this year. I was in a similar-ish position (AAABB, so not bad but certainly not opening the doors to any Scottish Unis) and took a couple of years out of school before taking advanced highers at college. I got AAB in my three advanced highers, but I honestly know that if I had stayed at school and done them immediately after highers then I still wouldn't have been in the right frame of mind to really improve much. Not saying you can't do it- but don't think for a second you can do it and have any form of social life this year. Just power through- it's only really seven months of being a hermit to go. And keep us posted with how you do! I can't help but root for anyone who like me doesn't have the perfect five A highers ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Yes I'm a complete hermit already ;-) but like you said it's only 7 months. Lol

Just sent my roles and responsibilities form about 10 minutes ago. Will keep you guys posted so it might be helpful for any future Scottish applicants.
Original post by cannotdecide
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Yes I'm a complete hermit already ;-) but like you said it's only 7 months. Lol

Just sent my roles and responsibilities form about 10 minutes ago. Will keep you guys posted so it might be helpful for any future Scottish applicants.

Just bear in mind that the grades are your priority- there's no shame in not getting anywhere Uni wise, but you want to be able to reapply with achieved grades! Good luck :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending