The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pbunny

Maths HL/SL: depends on whether you're 100% certain about going into game design. If not, and you're open to things like computer science then higher level maths would be necessary. However, I doubt you are so I'd stick with standard level maths - way way easier than HL. You don't want to be doing HL maths if not necessary as it's the hardest subject offered by the IBO.

Does IGCSE Math (Extended syllabus) do a good job of preparing me for HL? Or should I stick to SL anyway? I do fairly ok in Maths (75-85% ish usually).

Original post by pbunny

English HL
Computer Science HL
Economics/ITGS HL
Maths SL
French ab intio SL
Physics/economics SL

I think I'll be doing some variation of this one. Thanks for your help :smile:
Hi everyone!

I'm in year 11 and these are my IB subjects for next year:

Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL

English Lit SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

I've already received loads of great help here about what to choose, but please now can you tell me about Maths and Physics HL? Not just that they're hard; I know they are. Please could you tell me about the topics you study, and their difficulty, and where they overlap, and (if possible) where they build on stuff like IGCSE and Additional Maths? That would be really useful. Thanks so much Rx
Original post by gkkiller
Does IGCSE Math (Extended syllabus) do a good job of preparing me for HL? Or should I stick to SL anyway? I do fairly ok in Maths (75-85% ish usually).

I think I'll be doing some variation of this one. Thanks for your help :smile:

Frankly, IGCSE Maths isn't sufficient preparation for higher level maths, in fact Additional Maths is the foundation of higher level maths. You really need to get an A*-B in additional maths to have a good chance of doing well in higher level maths (i.e. to get a 5/6/7). It ain't easy. I got 93% in my final IGCSE maths exam (did it in Year 10), did Additional maths in Year 11 (messed around in class all year, so I barely learn't anything) and am currently doing SL maths. It's pretty easy but I know I'm going to find it more difficult when we do more difficult topics (calculus, vectors etc). If I didn't do Additional maths, I'd find maths standard level quite hard but this of course depends on the student. For example, one of my friends got an A/A* in IGCSE maths (didn't do adds maths) and is currently doing higher level maths and is getting 6/7's where as my other friend got an A in IGCSE maths and is struggling with standard level maths. So in all honestly, it's a decision you should make with the guidance of your current maths teacher as she/he knows you're capability.

No problem :smile:
Original post by Romula
Hi everyone!

I'm in year 11 and these are my IB subjects for next year:

Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL

English Lit SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

I've already received loads of great help here about what to choose, but please now can you tell me about Maths and Physics HL? Not just that they're hard; I know they are. Please could you tell me about the topics you study, and their difficulty, and where they overlap, and (if possible) where they build on stuff like IGCSE and Additional Maths? That would be really useful. Thanks so much Rx

I personally don't take HL maths/physics but two of my friends do. Additional maths is the foundation of higher level maths - make sure you understand everything as in IB you'll build up on everything you learn't in adds maths. My friends say that IGCSE physics completely differs to IB physics (HL). Read the subject guides i've linked below if you want to know which topics are covered in physics and maths.

http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Math%20HL.pdf
https://ibphysics2016.wikispaces.com/file/view/Physics_Guide_2016.pdf/487462852/Physics_Guide_2016.pdf
Original post by pbunny
I personally don't take HL maths/physics but two of my friends do. Additional maths is the foundation of higher level maths - make sure you understand everything as in IB you'll build up on everything you learn't in adds maths. My friends say that IGCSE physics completely differs to IB physics (HL). Read the subject guides i've linked below if you want to know which topics are covered in physics and maths.

http://www.ncbis.net/Editor/EditorImages/Math%20HL.pdf
https://ibphysics2016.wikispaces.com/file/view/Physics_Guide_2016.pdf/487462852/Physics_Guide_2016.pdf

Thank you very much, that's very useful!
Are your friends on TSR, or do you know anyone who does Maths and Physics HL on here who I can talk to? Thanks! Rx
Original post by Romula
Thank you very much, that's very useful!
Are your friends on TSR, or do you know anyone who does Maths and Physics HL on here who I can talk to? Thanks! Rx

No problem! Nope my friends aren't on here. I'd advise you to go on ibsurvival.com - I've seen current/former IB students on there that take/have taken both higher level maths and physics.
Original post by pbunny
No problem! Nope my friends aren't on here. I'd advise you to go on ibsurvival.com - I've seen current/former IB students on there that take/have taken both higher level maths and physics.

I've just been on there in the last few days, so useful, thank you so much 😊
Original post by Romula
I've just been on there in the last few days, so useful, thank you so much

No problem! Glad I could help :smile:
Hi all,

As some of you might know, I was going t study A-levels at Truro College. However, a lot of things went wrong (let's not go into details), so I've had to move back home. Meanwhile, I discovered that the IB is much more rigorous and more suitable for me than A-levels. For those of you who don't know, I'm hoping to study English language and literature, ideally at a top university. I'm planning to take the following subjects:

English A: literature HL
German A: language and literature HL
history HL
French ab initio/Italian B SL (I'm undecided)
maths studes SL
computer science SL

My questions are
a) is it possible to study two language As?
b) I have pretty much no knowledge of Italian just yet, I've only just started learning it from scratch. I could take French ab initio, but Italian is just as tempting, and my prospective only offers Italian B, so I've decided to learn some of the language in advance with the help of native speakers online. It's going pretty well because I'm gifted at languages, what level do I need to reach by next September in order to take Italian B?
Original post by dorababy1995
Hi all,

As some of you might know, I was going t study A-levels at Truro College. However, a lot of things went wrong (let's not go into details), so I've had to move back home. Meanwhile, I discovered that the IB is much more rigorous and more suitable for me than A-levels. For those of you who don't know, I'm hoping to study English language and literature, ideally at a top university. I'm planning to take the following subjects:

English A: literature HL
German A: language and literature HL
history HL
French ab initio/Italian B SL (I'm undecided)
maths studes SL
computer science SL

My questions are
a) is it possible to study two language As?
b) I have pretty much no knowledge of Italian just yet, I've only just started learning it from scratch. I could take French ab initio, but Italian is just as tempting, and my prospective only offers Italian B, so I've decided to learn some of the language in advance with the help of native speakers online. It's going pretty well because I'm gifted at languages, what level do I need to reach by next September in order to take Italian B?

I don't think it is possible to do two As- the free option allows for a second choice from groups 2, 3, 4 or 5, and As are group 1- but doing a B language HL will be fine with top unis. And I think Bs are taught from an assumption of GCSE proficiency or equivalent.
Original post by Romula
I don't think it is possible to do two As- the free option allows for a second choice from groups 2, 3, 4 or 5, and As are group 1- but doing a B language HL will be fine with top unis. And I think Bs are taught from an assumption of GCSE proficiency or equivalent.

Hmm... Someone has just told me the opposite about language As.

Can you please read my profile?

I just did... don't see anything there that would change my answer. Just saying what I know 😃

You CAN take two languages A courses. Your group 2 subject will be a language A course. Doing this will allow you to get the billingual diploma!
Whatever you do, don't choose chemistry unless you want to be a doctor or study something directly chemistry related. It will save you loads of hassle.
I have to decide what IB subjects I want to take for my diploma by the end of the week, and I must confess that I'm having a bit of a crisis. My Japanese teacher has told my class that we have to take Japanese B HL, and that in no way will she let us take an easier course as it will be unfair to less experienced Japanese speakers. So because of this, my schedule looks somewhat like this:

English HL
Math SL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Business HL
Japanese B HL

I've had a lot of my friends tell me not to take four HLs, and to drop either chemistry or english. I would like to attend medical school someday, and english is one of my favorite subjects. I personally believe I can handle the load, as heavy as it may be, but what would you advise?
Original post by theaaaa
I have to decide what IB subjects I want to take for my diploma by the end of the week, and I must confess that I'm having a bit of a crisis. My Japanese teacher has told my class that we have to take Japanese B HL, and that in no way will she let us take an easier course as it will be unfair to less experienced Japanese speakers. So because of this, my schedule looks somewhat like this:

English HL
Math SL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Business HL
Japanese B HL

I've had a lot of my friends tell me not to take four HLs, and to drop either chemistry or english. I would like to attend medical school someday, and english is one of my favorite subjects. I personally believe I can handle the load, as heavy as it may be, but what would you advise?

Definitely don't drop higher level chemistry - its required for medicine. Drop business to standard level and I recommend you do the same for English. Look you'll still be doing English but by taking it at standard level, you're reducing your workload and that will give you time to focus on your highers (which are relatively hard) as well as will make getting a 7 easier - in case you weren't aware, getting 7 in English in notoriously difficult, especially at higher level. Plus, if you're doing literature, you'll only be studying 2 less books than higher level students so you won't miss out on much.
Original post by pbunny
You CAN take two languages A courses. Your group 2 subject will be a language A course. Doing this will allow you to get the billingual diploma!

You can technically take 3 language As. 1 from group 1, 1 from group 2, and your free option. A girl I know did HL English LL, HL French Lit and HL German Lang and lit.
Hey guy's, I've got to choose what I want to do for IB soon after I go back to school and I really need help. I want be an Investment Banker and preferably go to LSE(you need 38 minimum). My shortlist so far is:

English literature and performance
Chinese ab initio
B&M Hl
Economics Sl
Chemistry Hl
Maths Hl

Questions
1)I've heard Maths Hl is like death so I'm not sure whether I should risk getting a 5 or do sl and get a 7
2)I'm also not sure about doing B&M and Econ as I've heard unis don't look at them favourably
3)I already speak 2 languages so I'm not sure whether I should go for a 3rd which could look better on my CV or develop 1 of the 2 I already speak

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingCorneliusIII
Hey guy's, I've got to choose what I want to do for IB soon after I go back to school and I really need help. I want be an Investment Banker and preferably go to LSE(you need 38 minimum). My shortlist so far is:

English literature and performance
Chinese ab initio
B&M Hl
Economics Sl
Chemistry Hl
Maths Hl

Questions
1)I've heard Maths Hl is like death so I'm not sure whether I should risk getting a 5 or do sl and get a 7
2)I'm also not sure about doing B&M and Econ as I've heard unis don't look at them favourably
3)I already speak 2 languages so I'm not sure whether I should go for a 3rd which could look better on my CV or develop 1 of the 2 I already speak

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course are you looking to apply for? I'm interested in the same field as you are (finance) so I know about the different courses and what not. Either the maths & economics, economics or accounting and finance degrees will do for banking so choose which one interests you. For the first two courses (maths & econ/economics) you have to take higher level maths (and a 7 in it is required) but for the third degree higher level maths is recommended but you can get away with standard level if you're predicted a 7 in it and have a high predicted overall score. So if you're interested in one of the first courses then you HAVE to higher level maths - there is no way around it, and the same applies for economics at all top unis.

B&M is viewed as a soft subject and unis don't like it at all so taking it as a higher level subject is a big no-no. Plus, taking both econ and B&M is a bad idea as well. Economics is a respected course so I recommend you take it as a higher level subject and that you replace B&M with another standard level subject (another group 2/3/4 subject) that interests you. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by taking a subject that is blacklisted by the uni you're interested in (LSE and Cambridge released a list of acceptable and weak a level subjects a couple of years ago - google it).

Ideal subject combo:

Economics HL
Maths HL
Chemistry HL
English SL
Chinese ab initio SL
Filler subject SL

If you're interested definitely go for the third language. Languages are less work intensive during exam periods as you don't have to memorize big junks of information to cram for your tests/exams - you either know or don't know the material. So if you stay on top of your work throughout the 2 years, taking a third language will relieve your stress during your finals. So, I think the idea of taking up a third language is a great idea! I would have done it myself if I was good enough at a second language to take it as a higher level subject.

Hope I helped :biggrin:
Original post by pbunny
What course are you looking to apply for? I'm interested in the same field as you are (finance) so I know about the different courses and what not. Either the maths & economics, economics or accounting and finance degrees will do for banking so choose which one interests you. For the first two courses (maths & econ/economics) you have to take higher level maths (and a 7 in it is required) but for the third degree higher level maths is recommended but you can get away with standard level if you're predicted a 7 in it and have a high predicted overall score. So if you're interested in one of the first courses then you HAVE to higher level maths - there is no way around it, and the same applies for economics at all top unis.

B&M is viewed as a soft subject and unis don't like it at all so taking it as a higher level subject is a big no-no. Plus, taking both econ and B&M is a bad idea as well. Economics is a respected course so I recommend you take it as a higher level subject and that you replace B&M with another standard level subject (another group 2/3/4 subject) that interests you. You'll be doing yourself a disservice by taking a subject that is blacklisted by the uni you're interested in (LSE and Cambridge released a list of acceptable and weak a level subjects a couple of years ago - google it).

Ideal subject combo:

Economics HL
Maths HL
Chemistry HL
English SL
Chinese ab initio SL
Filler subject SL

If you're interested definitely go for the third language. Languages are less work intensive during exam periods as you don't have to memorize big junks of information to cram for your tests/exams - you either know or don't know the material. So if you stay on top of your work throughout the 2 years, taking a third language will relieve your stress during your finals. So, I think the idea of taking up a third language is a great idea! I would have done it myself if I was good enough at a second language to take it as a higher level subject.

Hope I helped :biggrin:

Yeah that was a massive help thanks. I'm thinking Philosophy because that would help with TOK and possibly could help provide me with a topic for my Extended Essay. However I wouldn't mind History but I would only do history HL so I could do Nazi's.

Additionally do you have any comments regarding my choice of English lit and performance over English lit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending