The Student Room Group

Should there be more unisex toilets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TroyAndAbed
Wow, people on this thread are so Victorian. What happened to destroying gender roles? This is why the UK has fallen out of the top 20 most gender equal countries for the first time ever. You're all too old fashioned for the equality needed to survive in the 21st century.

Because of lack of unisex toilets? Please be joking.
Yup.
Reply 22
Original post by Vapor
This. There were unisex toilets at my Uni and I thought they were a brilliant idea.

There were no urinals, just loads of cubicles. I can't see a problem with that at all.

In countries like Sweden, unisex toilets are the norm.

I don't think unisex toilets should get rid of urinals, they're pretty useful if you're a guy.
No thanks.

Is gender a social construct? I don't know, but I also don't care. It's here, and it's here to stay for a whole load longer at the very least, and while it does I do not wish to be using unisex toilets to suit someone else's philosophical or political beliefs.

Incidentally, the unisex toilets at my university are largely used for heterosexual sex. Which I guess sometimes the non-unisex toilets are used for too, but by no means as much :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by Friar Chris

Incidentally, the unisex toilets at my university are largely used for heterosexual sex. Which I guess sometimes the non-unisex toilets are used for too, but by no means as much :rolleyes:

So? People go to the toilet to squeeze rotting food out of their anuses. How is sex more disgusting to you than that? Or are you a coprophile?
Original post by KingBradly
So? People go to the toilet to squeeze rotting food out of their anuses. How is sex more disgusting to you than that? Or are you a coprophile?

Social values and basic decency in our current social context dictate that it's not appropriate to be sharing toilets. Those social values aren't going anywhere, deal with it.

I also suspect that if you asked women if they wanted to share their toilets with men from now on out, they'd probably tell you to **** off, in all likelihood feeling that they would be perved upon, assaulted or even raped and be generally uncomfortable with the concept.
I never use public toilets, they stink and they're off putting. As much as I respect the whole equality thing, I'd flippin freak the hell out if I see a guy in the same 'bathroom' as me. In short, NO!
Reply 27
Social values and basic decency in our current social context dictate that it's not appropriate to be sharing toilets. Those social values aren't going anywhere, deal with it.

In the 1950s, someone could have said: "Social values and basic decency in our current social context dictate that it's not appropriate to have sexual relationships with the same-sex. Those social values aren't going anywhere, deal with it."

It's a totally abhorrent way of thinking that leads to the stagnation of society. If everyone thought like you did, we'd still treating black people as second class citizens, because 'it's not appropriate for them to sit at the front of the bus'.

I also suspect that if you asked women if they wanted to share their toilets with men from now on out, they'd probably tell you to **** off, in all likelihood feeling that they would be perved upon, assaulted or even raped and be generally uncomfortable with the concept.

It would be nice if women could stop thinking of men as animals who are unable to control their impulses.
No theres no point and just stupid. You can have sex in more romantic places than a toilet.
Reply 29
Original post by beautifulxxx
As much as I respect the whole equality thing

Really? I remember seeing you avidly agreeing with a thread (which got deleted) that said that all women who model nude are whores who should be punished (although of course I'm paraphrasing, he did actually use the word 'whores', as well as 'sluts').
Original post by IMBCFC
No theres no point and just stupid. You can have sex in more romantic places than a toilet.

Toilets are good for the quick session before or during an event

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
No. Male and female toilets will suffice, surely?
Original post by KingBradly
Really? I remember seeing you avidly agreeing with a thread (which got deleted) that said that all women who model nude are whores who should be punished (although of course I'm paraphrasing, he did actually use the word 'whores', as well as 'sluts').

Um... I don't remember. Is feminism about nudity now?
trust me girls dont want the **** that goes down in boys bathrooms. And my female friends tell me that girl toilets are always packed with girls hogging the mirrors for some reason.

and how am i supposed to piss in the sink when the dithering bitches are going around doing that? Disgraceful.
Reply 34
Yes.

My secondary school had unisex toilets when they opened a new building a couple of years ago. They weren't cubicles in a room, just single little rooms each on their own, and it worked fine.
Yes, I don't see why not, at least as an option in most places. Much preferred by many trans* people, good for parents with children of an awkward age (where you don't want to leave them alone but it'd look bad taking them into the "wrong" loo), doesn't really cause harm to anyone. And the whole notion of gendered toilets seems pretty outdated nowadays anyway - when people of different genders regularly mix in public, it's not assumed that everyone is going to be heterosexual and gender roles in general are just much more loosely defined.
I'd love to be able to use the womens' bathroom :moon:.
Original post by Green_Pink
Yes, I don't see why not, at least as an option in most places. Much preferred by many trans* people, good for parents with children of an awkward age (where you don't want to leave them alone but it'd look bad taking them into the "wrong" loo), doesn't really cause harm to anyone. And the whole notion of gendered toilets seems pretty outdated nowadays anyway - when people of different genders regularly mix in public, it's not assumed that everyone is going to be heterosexual and gender roles in general are just much more loosely defined.

but trust me, you, as a girl, do not want to use the toilets the men use. Unless you like walking through flaws where you tell yourself it's water from the sink, but deep sown you know it's not, stink of piss, and people laugh at you if they see you're having a crap and take photos.

Nah you wouldn't like it.
Hell to the no
Urinals mean men take a fith or less time to pee than women so you would need a **** load more cubicles and one more thing.They arent unisex
Take out the urinals and they are womens toilets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending