The Student Room Group

AFC - Harrogate - Year 10/11's

Just thought I'd introduce everyone to the Army Foundation College, it's in Harrogate near Leeds. It is a great route into the Army and I have my interview on the 17th June and further I will have fitness tests.

You have to be between 16 & 17 to join and it is a 42 week course which you are taught at alot slower and gradual pace than the other training areas.

If anyone has any questions, lemme know - I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The title is slight confusing. For anyone reading this and not understanding the title, what is meant that you can apply to go to the Army Foundation College when you are completing your GCSEs. You will go to Harrogate instead of going to a Sixth Form College/doing A-Levels.

I have a few friends that have been through Harrogate, I don't want to in any way put people off, it is a great opportunity for many people. However, the main negative (as with any other Armed Forces training when you are 16) is that outside of the military your options are not great. Think carefully that doing A-Levels may not be in your best interest.

Yet, the reason Harrogate was set up was to take those people who could see that they were unlikely to progress much further passed GCSEs without pushing. Therefore, I have quite a bit of respect for people at Harrogate because they have noticed that they could easily slip into the 'yob culture' that everyone moans about, and then they found a fantastic way of making a career and organising their lives all in one.
Reply 2
Good luck mate. What you joining as?

I have a friend and a cousin who are in the mill
Reply 3
I'm a young lad 15 in year 11 I'm not part of yo b culture I am doing quite well academically I really want to join the army its been an ambition all my life is afc harrogate the right way to go?
Original post by biddy99
I'm a young lad 15 in year 11 I'm not part of yo b culture I am doing quite well academically I really want to join the army its been an ambition all my life is afc harrogate the right way to go?

Different strokes for different folks, but it depends on what you mean by 'doing quite well academically'.

Are you expecting to gain over 5 GCSEs A*-C? Could you go to sixth form to do A-Levels? Maybe uni? If so, I'd hazard a guess that there may be better routes into the army than Harrogate AFC.
Reply 5
I'd say A levels rather than uni I'm predicted to pass all my gcses c and the occasional B I'm not university quality
how - exactly do you get in contact ?
Hi Guys,

Check this page out for information on AFC Harrogate, The next intake is in March 2016 as the cut off date for September 2015 intake has now passed.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3341361

Regards
ArmyJobs
Reply 8
Im 15 and in december i will be 16, can i join the army now instead of going to year 11?
Original post by mp115
Im 15 and in december i will be 16, can i join the army now instead of going to year 11?

Hi,

You must be at least 15 years and 7 months of age before you can apply and must have parental consent. In order to study at AFC Harrogate you would have to complete year 11 at school. If you are looking to join the September 2016 intake, I would apply around January 2016.

Regards
ArmyJobs
Hey I was just wondering what are the qualifications to get in to afc Harrogate and if so what do you do there and thugs like that basically the run down I'm 14 and a cadet and it's being my dream for along time no one can change my mind but what do you need for a combat technician (medic):smile:
And does only one person need to sign and when would I need to start my Process??
Thanks
Stephanie
Reply 11
can i join AFC without any GCSEs
and are the maths english and it qualifications equivalent to GCSEs
Original post by barran
can i join AFC without any GCSEs
and are the maths english and it qualifications equivalent to GCSEs

Hi Barran,

Yes you are welcome to apply for AFC Harrogate without any GCSE's. It will depend on the role that you choose to what qualifications you need to hold. You are welcome to take a look at our role finder here: www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder At the bottom of each page you will find the entry requirements.

There will be a BARB, English and Maths test within your application process which you can practice here: http://www.army.mod.uk/join/Getting-yourself-ready.aspx

Regards
ArmyJobs
Hi, I'm kieran I'm 15 years old and ive always wanted to join the army to follow my dads footsteps, and I want to join next year when I'm 16 and was wondering does this mean I can do my gcse's in the army foundation college.

ThankS
Hi, my name is callum. Im 15, in year 10 and a cadet. Its been my dream to join the army and in a few months time i am going to apply for Harrogate. I was just wondering... what if you have good english GSCEs but do not pass your maths GSCE? Is there any way you can redo it in Harrogate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
I'm almost 15 years and 7 months. As a girl I really wanted to join the infantry but I found out I'm not allowed because i'm a female. Whats the next go to thats similar to the infantry in terms of roles?

Also could you please tell me a little bit about the process of getting into the AFC and how long it will take. Thanks
I have dreamed of joining the army through afc harrogte. But I got into trouble and have to go to court in January will this stop me I am 15 now
Reply 17
What if you want to go in the Army when your 18
Reply 18
I'm 15 and will be 16 in a months time I have always wanted to go in the Army to follow in my dad and cousins footsteps, I did want to go infantry but I can't as I'm a female could you tell me if there is anything similar to the infantry.
Also do I have to pass my maths and english
Reply 19
Original post by Tonixx
I'm 15 and will be 16 in a months time I have always wanted to go in the Army to follow in my dad and cousins footsteps, I did want to go infantry but I can't as I'm a female could you tell me if there is anything similar to the infantry.
Also do I have to pass my maths and english

You always have the Royal Artillery or Armoured corps which are similar but involve tanks and big guns. And it depends on the qualifications you need for that role. Go to Role Finder on the Army Jobs page. It will tell you there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest