The Student Room Group

Referencing

I have to do my 1st essay and have to include refrences.

Some of the stuff is stuff I did in A-level.

In A-level we were given Kerboodle which is an online version of Nelson Thorne book, I downloaded the resources but how would I go about refrencing that?

Since I don't have the link anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to say which kind of referencing you're using
Reply 2
Original post by Qari

In A-level we were given Kerboodle which is an online version of Nelson Thorne book, I downloaded the resources but how would I go about refrencing that?

Reference it as if it were a normal website
Original post by Qari

If you have a smartphone I strongly suggest downloading an app called 'RefMe', you can scan the barcode/ISBN number of the book, and it will compile the reference(s), from its database of books, which can be sent to your email/cloud storage.

More importantly the app has a vast number of referencing styles, and it can easily switch between them by selecting the one you require from a list.

It's available on both Android and iOS:

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.refme&hl=en_GB

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/refme/id553222694?mt=8

If the online resource is an e-textbook, then you reference the book as you would a physical textbook, however if the e-resource has differences from the textbook on which it was based, then you reference the online resource.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by getfunky!
If you have a smartphone I strongly suggest downloading an app called 'RefMe', you can scan the barcode/ISBN number of the book, and it will compile the reference(s), from its database of books, which can be sent to your email/cloud storage.

More importantly the app has a vast number of referencing styles, and it can easily switch between them by selecting the one you require from a list.

It's available on both Android and iOS:

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.refme&hl=en_GB

iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/refme/id553222694?mt=8

If the online resource is an e-textbook, then you reference the book as you would a physical textbook, however if the e-resource has differences from the textbook on which it was based, then you reference the online resource.

I've just started working on my dissertation, and this app will save me countless hours! MASSIVE thanks :biggrin:
Word's built in, little known referencing feature is excellent. But yes, OP, what referencing style?
Original post by askew116
I've just started working on my dissertation, and this app will save me countless hours! MASSIVE thanks :biggrin:

You're welcome!:hat:
Reply 7
Beware that unis can use one of a range of referencing styles and they can all have subtly different formatting. If you use an automated referencing tool, make sure that either it conforms to your uni's referencing style, or that the output can be easily manually edited to meet it. You could find yourself making work rather than saving it.

For example, my undergrad uni used Harvard referencing - but they had an in-house version which tweaked it. Finding software that produced Harvard style referencing was only half of the solution. I'm currently having to use a format which inserts full stops where I was initially taught they should never be. Drives me nuts.

With referencing, attention to detail and following uni instruction, are key.
Reply 8
Original post by Mad Vlad
Word's built in, little known referencing feature is excellent. But yes, OP, what referencing style?

Original post by Juno
You need to say which kind of referencing you're using

Harvard Style refrencing.

My point is the resource I got required a login which was deleted when year ended so how do I upload that?
You need to consult your universities handbook on how they would like you to reference as each university have different ways on how they want you to reference your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by x-Venezia-x
You need to consult your universities handbook on how they would like you to reference as each university have different ways on how they want you to reference your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My question was meant to be when do I refrence. As in for quotations yes but if I've put something in my own words do i still refrence
Reply 11
Original post by Qari
My question was meant to be when do I refrence. As in for quotations yes but if I've put something in my own words do i still refrence

Yes, you absolutely should. Failing to reference would imply that you'd thought of it - that would be plagiarism.
Reply 12
Original post by Klix88
Yes, you absolutely should. Failing to reference would imply that you'd thought of it - that would be plagiarism.

so how would I reference that if I've put it into my own words?
Reply 13
Original post by Qari
so how would I reference that if I've put it into my own words?

Exactly the same as you would a direct quote. In the text, you'd put the short reference at the end of the sentence or passage (Author year). Then a corresponding full entry in the bibliography at the end of the assignment.
Reply 14
Original post by Klix88
Exactly the same as you would a direct quote. In the text, you'd put the short reference at the end of the sentence or passage (Author year). Then a corresponding full entry in the bibliography at the end of the assignment.

how would I reference something from here
Reply 15
Original post by Qari

Sorry, I can't access the document you've linked to. What is it?
Reply 16
Original post by Qari

If your uni has a study support service like mine then contact them by email or in person however they operate and they can help you i'm sure. I had a similar problem with my course reference guide being a bit confusing and unclear in places and they helped me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Qari

OK - I can access it now.

Those look like A Level revision or published course notes. There's no way you should be using those as a source for written work at uni. Referencing them would just draw attention to the fact that you haven't done your own reading/research.
Use a website called Neil's Toolbox if you're Harvard referencing
Reply 19
Original post by Klix88
OK - I can access it now.

Those look like A Level revision or published course notes. There's no way you should be using those as a source for written work at uni. Referencing them would just draw attention to the fact that you haven't done your own reading/research.

They're A-level resources. I wanted to use them for the intro not the main part

Original post by kayleighisonfire
Use a website called Neil's Toolbox if you're Harvard referencing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending