The Student Room Group

How to revise for AS Biology?

Currently in year 12 and wondering about methods for revising the sheer amount of content in Biology
Mostly, don't feel daunted about the amount you have to remember. Once you start learning more of it, everything starts to make sense after a little bit.

Take it in chunks, learn little sections at a time.

Doing OCR? Use Memrise as I totally am not self-promoting the courses I make on there :wink:
Original post by loperdoper
Mostly, don't feel daunted about the amount you have to remember. Once you start learning more of it, everything starts to make sense after a little bit.

Take it in chunks, learn little sections at a time.

Doing OCR? Use Memrise as I totally am not self-promoting the courses I make on there :wink:

ok cool cheers
Reply 3
After you learnt a specific content do loads of questions so you can get used to the type of questions they throw at you (especially for AQA).
I've taught Biology A level for 16 years and here's what I tell my students.

1. Be prepared to put the time in. It won't happen overnight but it will happen if you do work at it.

2. Take each topic in turn (eg protein structure) and use the textbook to produce a mindmap of that topic (don't try to do more than one at once, or you'll get bogged down, it's best to do it in small stages).

3. Look through the mindmap and circle things that you simply have to learn in a colour (eg red). Then make a revision card for each bit. A good example would be the definitions of primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures (and there are plenty of others). Use those revision cards until you know them off by heart.

4. On the mindmap, colour in things that you have to understand (eg in blue) and then ask yourself whether you understand them. If not, ask your teacher and if they can't help, ask a different teacher.

5. Keep at it. You will make progress and that will motivate you but don't get disheartened if you find bits hard. Lots of Biology A level is hard but you can do it. Every year I see loads of students get disheartened when they realise that Biology A level is not just Biology GCSE but a bit harder. But the vast majority make the leap and end up loving it.
Reply 5
Understand it completely, (like absorbing it) and then see if you can write it down. It'll help you remember.
Revise. Thats important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending