The Student Room Group

Do men have a need for control?

On a couple of occasions, I have been in disagreement with a few males a know in my life.

The patterns follows as so: I dislike whatever they are doing, which turns into a little spat; concluding with both sides still disagreeing or them regressing to some child like attitude.

My question is, I'm I just smarter than these guys or it's an innate natural desire for control (if so should I just back off and let them have control), because it only happens with guys.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by NHM713
On a couple of occasions, I have been in disagreement with a few males a know in my life.

The patterns follows as so: I dislike whatever they are doing, which turns into a little spat; concluding with both sides still disagreeing or them regressing to some child like attitude.

My question is, I'm I just smarter than these guys or it's an innate natural desire for control (if so should I just back off and let them have control), because it only happens with guys.

People disagree with others. It's a way of life. My advice? Stop psychoanalysing them. It's probably very annoying.
Original post by NHM713

Sounds like it is you who is trying to control things, not the men.

What exactly are these men doing that you find so objectionable anyway?
Reply 3
Original post by NHM713

Men are often more rational in discussions than women. I have found myself in stupid arguments arguing against "because it's so" or "because I decided". There is a gender difference in that men can't understand when a discussion is blocked before it gets to a rational conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NHM713

It's hard to know what this is about without knowing what you disagreed with them about.
Original post by Blinka
There is a gender difference in that men can't understand when a discussion is blocked before it gets to a rational conclusion.

Discussion gets blocked?
Reply 6
you

sound aggressive
sound like you belittle men because they are men
sound controlling

I am just a man so none of this matters
This is irony right?
I have met countless female control freaks compared to men.
How many times do you hear a man say " I thought I would be able to change her?"
Things I have heard girls say just in my circle of friends in the last few weeks-
"He spends spend more time at rugby than with me"
"He thinks more of that car than he does of me"
"He is scared of commitment"
" Do you think it is unreasonable of me to delete somebodies number from his phone and not tell him?"
All from different girls.
I have never seen a man be jealous of an inanimate object.
You do get male control freaks but female outnumber them by miles.
Reply 8
Original post by Mackay
People disagree with others. It's a way of life. My advice? Stop psychoanalysing them. It's probably very annoying.

I think I'm on to something, and you just want to disagree.
Reply 9
I like control. I don't like arguing. Go figure.
Reply 10
Original post by Greenlaner
Sounds like it is you who is trying to control things, not the men.

What exactly are these men doing that you find so objectionable anyway?

For instants, imposing themselves in a situation that has nothing to do with them, yet feel entitled to tell someone what to do. I am going to say something; An example of this is my brother always keeping a eye out on who goes in my kitchen (a little insight into my life there)

Or

I know this person who will takes seconds and leaves nothing for anyone else, considering they didn't make or buy the ingredients (yes food related again)
Reply 11
Original post by Blinka
Men are often more rational in discussions than women. I have found myself in stupid arguments arguing against "because it's so" or "because I decided". There is a gender difference in that men can't understand when a discussion is blocked before it gets to a rational conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think men are as rational as I used to think they were. Most men I know go on feeling only and can be very childish.
Oh I get it now. It is irony.
Very good, you had me going there for a minute.
You dislike whatever they're doing and they're the controlling? Hypocritical much?
Reply 14
Original post by DErasmus
you

sound aggressive
sound like you belittle men because they are men
sound controlling

I am just a man so none of this matters

No. I actually do appreciate men, most intellects I admire are male. When it comes to living with males it's different I have found.

I'm very laid-back but, sometimes you have to take authority, especially in a domestic framework.

I don't get how I am belittling men, by saying this...?
Believe me, women can be the most controlling. They have a secret fear that someone will pinch their man or that their man might cheat or look at another woman. God help you if you marry one and have a child because her level of control will increase when she knows she holds the whip hand. Best not to get involved. Who needs it?
Reply 16
Original post by arson_fire
TBH that`s a bit rich coming from someone who wants to control what words we are allowed to use!

Well done, I liked the link. Perfect example of the childish behaviour I witness coming from guys.
Reply 17
Original post by DErasmus

What are you trying to say?
Good troll those reactions are good 8/10
The first example with your brother watching rhe kitchen sounds weird. How old are you? Does your kitchen regularly get attacked by Dick and Dom or the Borrowers?

The second example with seconds, the guy sounds greedy and selfish oc, but 'control.issues' I am.not getting this. You have not explained how he rationalised the decision and if it is this bloody obvious that no one else gets any then his argument sounds crap anyway.

Both examples.involve.feeling anxiety in food or places where food is located that you are not fully in control of. Ironically this would suggest YOU have control issues-I have control issues around food too.

throughout this you make a sweeping statement about men being inferior and insufferable to live with, using a rather no-win scenario to counter argue because your very argument is predicated upon the notion that any man who disagrees with you has regressed to a child like attitude.

without further evidence for your rather gross claims yet vague examples, I can only conclude that you are either a sexist troll (possibly male) or a misandrist with controlling tendencies.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending