The Student Room Group

Do men have a need for control?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tsr's resident tumblr queen everyone.
Reply 21
Original post by caravaggio2
This is irony right?
I have met countless female control freaks compared to men.
How many times do you hear a man say " I thought I would be able to change her?"
Things I have heard girls say just in my circle of friends in the last few weeks-
"He spends spend more time at rugby than with me"
"He thinks more of that car than he does of me"
"He is scared of commitment"
" Do you think it is unreasonable of me to delete somebodies number from his phone and not tell him?"
All from different girls.
I have never seen a man be jealous of an inanimate object.
You do get male control freaks but female outnumber them by miles.

Women know how to be in control, I think men just want control, simply because you're men.

I don't think men see that far ahead. You see a woman who takes your fancy, get to know her, you like her personality, make her your girlfriend. the end.

As for a woman, this guy keeps flirting with her, she allows him to get closer, she sees his potential, she tries to better him. he doesn't take too kindly to that and regresses back to a child like state.

It not about being jealous of an inanimate object, girls know how other girls think. that's why.
Reply 22
Original post by samba
I like control. I don't like arguing. Go figure.

How does that work?
Reply 23
Original post by caravaggio2
Oh I get it now. It is irony.
Very good, you had me going there for a minute.

Sadly, I'm not being ironic. It's very much true, in my life anyway.
Reply 24
Original post by Guru Jason
You dislike whatever they're doing and they're the controlling? Hypocritical much?

If someone tells me or anyone else what to do when they have no right or feels they are entitled when they are not, I will tell them what I think.
Reply 25
Original post by NHM713
How does that work?

Quite easily. You find somebody actually suited to you who isn't going to argue about stupid things.
Reply 26
Original post by Limpopo
Believe me, women can be the most controlling. They have a secret fear that someone will pinch their man or that their man might cheat or look at another woman. God help you if you marry one and have a child because her level of control will increase when she knows she holds the whip hand. Best not to get involved. Who needs it?

It's not a secret fear it's very real. Men are visual creatures, women know this and use this to their advantage, an ego if you will. I know girls like this.
Reply 27
Original post by WeedCanKill
Good troll those reactions are good 8/10

No trolling here I'm afraid.
Reply 28
Women know how to be in control, I think men just want control, simply because you're men.

Erm no? There are different reasons for men wanting control and such. Some women don't know how to be in control due to different circumstances and so you can't just assume that just because men want control does not simply mean they are men. Don't use gender as an explanation for some men's desire for having control; it's like me saying to a transgender "oh you can't be a woman because you're a man and therefore you are too manly to be a woman". I can't choose a person's gender just like how you can't speak for the majority of men.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NHM713
It's not a secret fear it's very real. Men are visual creatures, women know this and use this to their advantage, an ego if you will. I know girls like this.

Don't you think this is a very sexist sweeping statement?
Reply 30
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
The first example with your brother watching rhe kitchen sounds weird. How old are you? Does your kitchen regularly get attacked by Dick and Dom or the Borrowers?

The second example with seconds, the guy sounds greedy and selfish oc, but 'control.issues' I am.not getting this. You have not explained how he rationalised the decision and if it is this bloody obvious that no one else gets any then his argument sounds crap anyway.

Both examples.involve.feeling anxiety in food or places where food is located that you are not fully in control of. Ironically this would suggest YOU have control issues-I have control issues around food too.

throughout this you make a sweeping statement about men being inferior and insufferable to live with, using a rather no-win scenario to counter argue because your very argument is predicated upon the notion that any man who disagrees with you has regressed to a child like attitude.

without further evidence for your rather gross claims yet vague examples, I can only conclude that you are either a sexist troll (possibly male) or a misandrist with controlling tendencies.

Lol, That's my point, it's weird and not rational making me think it's to do with this need for control or to control something especially when they have none.

I don't think it's has anything to do with food, I think it's because it's shared and the easiest target, can't really control who goes to the bathroom.
I would like to challenge the rather Orwellian statement 'women know how to control men'...
Original post by NHM713
Lol, That's my point, it's weird and not rational making me think it's to do with this need for control or to control something especially when they have none.

I don't think it's has anything to do with food, I think it's because it's shared and the easiest target, can't really control who goes to the bathroom.

No, your argument makes no sense. You haven't explained why he watches the kitchen in the first place, or why this should particularly upset you, the second example there has been no explanation of the conflict between you and this overeating with seconds fella and his attempt to justify it..that you should think this is his feeble attempt to control you is rather self absorbed of you if not outright paranoid.

Mostly your argument is still predicated upon this really horrific and misandrist idea that men try and fail to control women (indeed control ANYTHING-you explicitly state 'when they [men] have none')
while women have men wrapped around their fingers-'women know how to be in control'-is this correct? And if yes you are digging yourself a.mighty hole.
Original post by mampfen

Erm no? There are different reasons for men wanting control and such. Some women don't know how to be in control due to different circumstances and so you can't just assume that just because men want control does not simply mean they are men. Don't use gender as an explanation for some men's desire for having control; it's like me saying to a transgender "oh you can't be a woman because you're a man and therefore you are too manly to be a woman". I can't choose a person's gender just like how you can't speak for the majority of men.

More importantly do you agree with OP's shocking statement 'women know how to be in control [i.e. are in control or could be if they so desired], men need to be in control [but fail, because men have no control]'?
Reply 34
Original post by arson_fire
That`s the root problem right there - trying to change men into what you want them to be. If a guy told you how you could behave, or tried to tell you what you could wear when you go out, it would rightly be described as an abusive relationship.

Yeah but it's a relationship/partnership, there has got to be give and take, there has to be compromise and sacrifice. Telling someone what to wear compared to telling someone to wash the dishes more often or clean up after themselves, even though it's not in their nature to isn't the same.
Reply 35
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
More importantly do you agree with OP's shocking statement 'women know how to be in control [i.e. are in control or could be if they so desired], men need to be in control [but fail, because men have no control]'?

Heck no. I don't know what OP is trying to grasp; the idea that women are superior than men and therefore everyone should agree, because they're women or a buttload of angry men (lol).
Original post by arson_fire
That`s the root problem right there - trying to change men into what you want them to be. If a guy told you how you could behave, or tried to tell you what you could wear when you go out, it would rightly be described as an abusive relationship.

I personally think society doesn't think it's abusive if a woman does it because male privilege, high incidence of women victims of DV etc. It's not right but the police won't listen, the only people in authority who will are some.rships counsellors.
Original post by NHM713
On a couple of occasions, I have been in disagreement with a few males a know in my life.

The patterns follows as so: I dislike whatever they are doing, which turns into a little spat; concluding with both sides still disagreeing or them regressing to some child like attitude.

My question is, I'm I just smarter than these guys or it's an innate natural desire for control (if so should I just back off and let them have control), because it only happens with guys.

Hmmmmm......
Interesting

Or perhaps it's that most people think they're right and are unwilling to back down from their viewpoints?
Original post by Reluire
Don't you think this is a very sexist sweeping statement?

It's only sexist if an man says it, after all, women are such perfect creatures and therefore couldn't possibly be discriminatory.
Original post by NHM713
Yeah but it's a relationship/partnership, there has got to be give and take, there has to be compromise and sacrifice. Telling someone what to wear compared to telling someone to wash the dishes more often or clean up after themselves, even though it's not in their nature to isn't the same.

What the ****. No it is still controlling if either sex does it. Are you saying it is in women's nature, some natural prerogative, to tell.men what to wear? Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending