The Student Room Group

Do men have a need for control?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
For instants, imposing themselves in a situation that has nothing to do with them, yet feel entitled to tell someone what to do. I am going to say something; An example of this is my brother always keeping a eye out on who goes in my kitchen (a little insight into my life there)

Or

I know this person who will takes seconds and leaves nothing for anyone else, considering they didn't make or buy the ingredients (yes food related again)

It's for instance, not for instants.
Reply 41
If someone tells me or anyone else what to do when they have no right or feels they are entitled when they are not, I will tell them what I think.

What right or feels they are entitled are you talking about, woman?
Reply 42
Original post by mampfen
Women know how to be in control, I think men just want control, simply because you're men.

Erm no? There are different reasons for men wanting control and such. Some women don't know how to be in control due to different circumstances and so you can't just assume that just because men want control does not simply mean they are men. Don't use gender as an explanation for some men's desire for having control; it's like me saying to a transgender "oh you can't be a woman because you're a man and therefore you are too manly to be a woman". I can't choose a person's gender just like how you can't speak for the majority of men.

Yes, true I shouldn't make blanket statments, I made a connection and I'm just trying to make sense of it.
One thing that really doesn't help is that I find women are far more likely to back down than men; more frequently the man will argue his views until one or both of you have to stop or the argument stagnates. On the other hand women tend to back down relatively quickly and are generally more willing to submit.
Original post by NHM713
I don't think men are as rational as I used to think they were. Most men I know go on feeling only and can be very childish.

How old are these men in your life? I wouldn't be surprised if they were only teenagers a couple of years ago.
Reply 45
Original post by Reluire
Don't you think this is a very sexist sweeping statement?

This is based on my personal experience, I don't mean to be sexist or to make sweeping statements.
Reply 46
The patterns follows as so: I dislike whatever they are doing, which turns into a little spat; concluding with both sides still disagreeing or them regressing to some child like attitude.

My question is, I'm I just smarter than these guys or it's an innate natural desire for control (if so should I just back off and let them have control), because it only happens with guys.

You have very flawed explanations and I think you should go and sit in that corner and think about what you have said. Honestly, this why many people get misinformed about women and men. You can't just decide that you're smarter than these men just because they act different to you. People have different defence mechanisms and besides, you should not be the one deciding that men are control freaks and women can't possibly be irrational.
Reply 47
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I would like to challenge the rather Orwellian statement 'women know how to control men'...

Challenge accepted.

No, your argument makes no sense. You haven't explained why he watches the kitchen in the first place, or why this should particularly upset you, the second example there has been no explanation of the conflict between you and this overeating with seconds fella and his attempt to justify it..that you should think this is his feeble attempt to control you is rather self absorbed of you if not outright paranoid.

Mostly your argument is still predicated upon this really horrific and misandrist idea that men try and fail to control women (indeed control ANYTHING-you explicitly state 'when they [men] have none')
while women have men wrapped around their fingers-'women know how to be in control'-is this correct? And if yes you are digging yourself a.mighty hole.

I don't know what he watches the kitchen, maybe because he thinks he man of the house, which would make sense for the other example I gave as well.

I'm just trying to make sense of it all; should I just leave it alone because I'm bruising their egos and it's something they just can't help.
or should i continue until they realise how ridiculous they are coming across. if they want control they can have it.

I do think SOME women do have men wrapped around their fingers, I know a particular case where this is happening and I feel sorry for him.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Hmmmmm......
Interesting

Or perhaps it's that most people think they're right and are unwilling to back down from their viewpoints?

Despite their viewpoint coming across rather strange?

I can rational with someone, but, fair enough.

What the ****. No it is still controlling if either sex does it. Are you saying it is in women's nature, some natural prerogative, to tell.men what to wear? Lol

Of course not, but, it depends on where they are coming from. whether they're saying it because they're insecure control freaks or because they want their BF/GF to look better, which is the case in most situations, particularly if it comes from the girl.

Original post by Dr Pesto
It's for instance, not for instants.

I'll go change it right away sir...god so controlling

Original post by mampfen
If someone tells me or anyone else what to do when they have no right or feels they are entitled when they are not, I will tell them what I think.

What right or feels they are entitled are you talking about, woman?

Are you by any chance trying to rip into me because you don't like the subject matter?

Original post by mampfen
The patterns follows as so: I dislike whatever they are doing, which turns into a little spat; concluding with both sides still disagreeing or them regressing to some child like attitude.

My question is, I'm I just smarter than these guys or it's an innate natural desire for control (if so should I just back off and let them have control), because it only happens with guys.

You have very flawed explanations and I think you should go and sit in that corner and think about what you have said. Honestly, this why many people get misinformed about women and men. You can't just decide that you're smarter than these men just because they act different to you. People have different defence mechanisms and besides, you should not be the one deciding that men are control freaks and women can't possibly be irrational.

I don't sit on a throne, thinking I'm smarter than anyone I disagree with.
I am just putting my thoughts out there. I apologise if my thoughts hurt you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NHM713
I'll go change it right away sir...god so controlling

Yep, it actually turns me on to chastise people on the internet over their spelling.
Reply 49
Original post by NHM713
I think I'm on to something, and you just want to disagree.

You sound like a pain in the arse.
Reply 50
Original post by Mackay
You sound like a pain in the arse.

Actually I'm good fun.
Reply 51
Original post by Dr Pesto
Yep, it actually turns me on to chastise people on the internet over their spelling.

Lol
Original post by NHM713

Sounds like you were telling them to stop what they were doing because you didn't like it. That's controlling in my book
Does this apply for all dudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Guru Jason
Sounds like you were telling them to stop what they were doing because you didn't like it. That's controlling in my book

If someone is banging their heads against the wall, aren't you going to tell them to stop, or is that too controlling.
Original post by NHM713
If someone is banging their heads against the wall, aren't you going to tell them to stop, or is that too controlling.

Is that what they were doing? I'd let them do it. Might knock sense into them.
Reply 56
Original post by Yeah dude
Does this apply for all dudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trying to work that out.
Sounds to me like you have an issue with men :smile:
Original post by NHM713
Trying to work that out.

In short no it doesn't it's just the media scheme to brainwash our youth into hating groups of peopl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Yeah dude
In short no it doesn't it's just the media scheme to brainwash our youth into hating groups of peopl

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do NOT hate men , I love men, I need them, I'm attracted to them. I don't dislike them. As I grow up I'm noticing different things about myself and people around me. That's all it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending