The Student Room Group

#Catcalling Video Maker Receives "Rape and Death Threats" Online.

CNN

CBS New York

"What started as an expose of the harassment women face in public has turned into fodder for death- and rape threats against the woman in the viral video." -CNN

Here we go again. A woman makes a controversial 'feminist' video and in rolls the "harassment" and empty threats from anonymous internet trashtalkers. A scene is then promptly made. Is this woman new to the internet or is this just being milked for publicity?

Also, where whitey at?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/living/women-catcalling-white-men-race/index.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As for the video, some of the men are very, very, creepy but I don't really think saying 'Smile' or 'Have a nice day' counts as harassment. And what are we going to do about it, ban talking to people on the street?
This video doesn't make an awful lot of sense. 'Have a nice day' Erm what? I don't understand what's going on.

I also don't know why it's news that famous people get death threats.
Reply 3
Original post by Snagprophet
This video doesn't make an awful lot of sense. 'Have a nice day' Erm what? I don't understand what's going on.

I also don't know why it's news that famous people get death threats.

Do men say 'have a nice day' to other men? The problem is the context, if they were in cafe or bar fair enough, but a woman should be able to walk down the street without having comments made about her.
I find it funny how the same people who say harassment isn't happening send death threats to people they disagree with. Are they really that stupid??
Reply 5
Original post by Dunax
Commanding a women to smile has patronizingly sexist undertones. And these niceties are also problematic because this is NYC not Southern or middle America where niceties are exchanged towards both genders, women are the only one receiving them generally so what does that say? That the men are trying to flirt/initiate something and this isn't the right social context to be doing that. Plus there's a general expectation for the women to respond as you can see by this video (one guy says "you should say thank you more" another asked "you don't wanna talk") and if a women responds 90% of the time the men are going to take it as a invitation to start conversing.

As far as action is concerned, increase social stigma and try to educate people more at a young age or whatever. Sure both of these things won't eliminate it and both are currently happening but fewer people the better. Do nothing isn't a good strategy.

So basically make America like London ? What exactly are they meant to teach , "boys , dont talk to random girls , its harrasment" .

Also what if a girl actually wants a guy to approach her ?
Original post by DErasmus
Do men say 'have a nice day' to other men? The problem is the context, if they were in cafe or bar fair enough, but a woman should be able to walk down the street without having comments made about her.

To be fair, no-one says hello to each other, in the UK, in urban areas.
Threads like this make me wonder what it would take to make people like you realise that there just might actually be a problem here.

She films herself getting harassed just going about her daily life and subsequently receives rape threats for releasing the footage and the two problems you identify are that she either:

-Is milking it for publicity, or
-Doesn't know how the internet works

**** off.
(edited 9 years ago)
I believe the video was staged 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw two instances of actual harassment, and a few inappropriate comments. Other than that, nothing else.
Reply 10
Video is bad because they muddled the message of sexual harassment, when the line between trying to get someones attention and harassment is pretty clear. They had a simple job and did not execute it properly, now it is even easier to dismiss femanists. Counter productive.

Also the white people were admittedly edited out the video.

The video is a collaboration between Hollaback!, an anti-street harassment organisation, and the marketing agency Rob Bliss Creative. At the end they claim the woman experienced 100 plus incidents of harassment "involving people of all backgrounds." Since that obviously doesn't show up in the video, Bliss addressed it in a post. He wrote, "we got a fair amount of white guys, but for whatever reason, a lot of what they said was in passing, or off camera" or was ruined by a siren or other noise.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/62799602/The-catcalling-video-They-edited-out-the-white-guys

Take that how you want.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Threads like this make me wonder what it would take to make people like you realise that there just might actually be a problem here.

She films herself getting harassed just going about her daily life and subsequently receives rape threats for releasing the footage and the two problems you identify are that she either:

-Is milking it for publicity, or
-Doesn't know how the internet works

**** off.

Anyone who puts themselves on the spot on the internet and broadcasts what could easily be perceived an accusing, controversial or preachy message will be instant troll bait. For example, YouTube users who make political and social commentaries are subjected to inflammatory comments and threats from anonymous internet scumbags on a daily basis (few , if any, of which are genuinely credible). However, we don't see these figures on the news claiming "people hate us because we're men" or "there's a huge problem with society because some people said mean things to me on Twitter." Yet a certain political demographic of professional victims will take it all very seriously and publicize their experiences to the greatest extent possible.

I've had people nod hello, good morning etc, particularly if i'm out early in the morning.

Original post by Dunax
Commanding a women to smile has patronizingly sexist undertones. And these niceties are also problematic because this is NYC not Southern or middle America where niceties are exchanged towards both genders, women are the only one receiving them generally so what does that say? That the men are trying to flirt/initiate something and this isn't the right social context to be doing that. Plus there's a general expectation for the women to respond as you can see by this video (one guy says "you should say thank you more" another asked "you don't wanna talk") and if a women responds 90% of the time the men are going to take it as a invitation to start conversing.

As far as action is concerned, increase social stigma and try to educate people more at a young age or whatever. Sure both of these things won't eliminate it and both are currently happening but fewer people the better. Do nothing isn't a good strategy.

If she got 108 cat calls in 10 hours in a densely populated city, she would have passed tens of thousands of men putting the figure at fractions of a percent. I'm not being forced to sit through some ****ing seminar on this because of a few morons. People need to learn the world isn't a safe place and to toughen up.
Original post by Atreus
So basically make America like London ? What exactly are they meant to teach , "boys , dont talk to random girls , its harrasment" .

Also what if a girl actually wants a guy to approach her ?

I think a guy at least needs to make eye contact first before he can decide if a woman wants to be approached. Plus walking briskly is a good indication that you're not looking for a conversation full stop. Clearly too many guys do need to be educated on basic social etiquette, including yourself.

It's very clear when a guy approaches you to say hello while he's also looking you up and down, not to mention tone and body language , that he's not 'just being friendly'. Regardless of whether you think it's normal, if that's even the 6th time a guy has approached you it definitely feels like a harassment.

Also this 'street' behaviour gets copied in other inappropriate contexts. I live in London and it does happen a lot and you get guys following you, waiting outside the station/gym so they can try and chat you up or just generally persisting with communication even if you flat out ignore them. Now it's got the point I avoid accidental eye contact because alot of guys also see this as an invitation to harass you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Truths
Video is bad because they muddled the message of sexual harassment, when the line between trying to get someones attention and harassment is pretty clear. They had a simple job and did not execute it properly, now it is even easier to dismiss femanists. Counter productive.

Also the white people were admittedly edited out the video.

The video is a collaboration between Hollaback!, an anti-street harassment organisation, and the marketing agency Rob Bliss Creative. At the end they claim the woman experienced 100 plus incidents of harassment "involving people of all backgrounds." Since that obviously doesn't show up in the video, Bliss addressed it in a post. He wrote, "we got a fair amount of white guys, but for whatever reason, a lot of what they said was in passing, or off camera" or was ruined by a siren or other noise.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/li...the-white-guys

Take that how you want.

Wait, they mean to say that none of what they included was off camera or in passing?! MOST OF IT WAS!

Poorly worded question. While at home with almost every adult I pass we exchange pleasantries, at least acknowledge each other irrespective of whether we know each other (especially the elderly), at uni however it's almost exclusively your friends and acquaintances and sometimes lecturers.
Reply 15
Does anything not cause death threats in this day and age?
I do sort of wonder, what sort of scenario where a male stranger comments anything towards a female would not be classed as harassment if comments like "have a nice day now" are deemed harassing behavior? You get threads on TSR from time to time about how to approach girls in the street, what to say if there's a girl you pass on the way to work you like but don't know what to do, do girls mind guys complimenting them etc. Some girls say any contact from strangers is weird (...right) but most will generally say if it's not done in a pervy way it's a nice compliment it's okay. So...what does a guy have to do? If a guy had stopped her and said to her "hey excuse me I just wanted to say you look really beautiful", I assume that's harassment? Certainly it's more then a guy sitting outside a cafe halfheartedly saying "you have a good day" and making no attempt to obstruct her.

I mean maybe it makes a difference whether the male in question is say Chris Hemsworth, compared to say Richard Kiel?
Seen this on Twitter:

"I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE LEFT ALONE. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TALK TO ME, THAT'S A PRIVILEGE"

Errr, what? Talking to people is a right as well.
Original post by Jono404
Seen this on Twitter:

"I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE LEFT ALONE. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TALK TO ME, THAT'S A PRIVILEGE"

Errr, what? Talking to people is a right as well.

But to these people, talking without permission is rape, and rape is not a right. If it's not a right it's a privilege (tentative), ergo, as rape is not a right it's a privilege and as speech is rape it is a privilege. Logic sounds about right for them.
Original post by joey11223
I do sort of wonder, what sort of scenario where a male stranger comments anything towards a female would not be classed as harassment if comments like "have a nice day now" are deemed harassing behavior? You get threads on TSR from time to time about how to approach girls in the street, what to say if there's a girl you pass on the way to work you like but don't know what to do, do girls mind guys complimenting them etc. Some girls say any contact from strangers is weird (...right) but most will generally say if it's not done in a pervy way it's a nice compliment it's okay. So...what does a guy have to do? If a guy had stopped her and said to her "hey excuse me I just wanted to say you look really beautiful", I assume that's harassment? Certainly it's more then a guy sitting outside a cafe halfheartedly saying "you have a good day" and making no attempt to obstruct her.

I mean maybe it makes a difference whether the male in question is say Chris Hemsworth, compared to say Richard Kiel?

Because these women practically view themselves as royalty and men as the peasants (the rapist peasants who are harassing and oppressing them). Don't speak unless spoken to, don't touch my hand without permission, don't even stare me in the eyes! Thou art not worthy, vile penis monster! (Unless you're Chris Hemsworth, of course).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending