The Student Room Group

Am I at risk of getting disappointing AS Level grades?

I've had 2 weeks off for half term and I have done very little to no work during these 2 weeks. I've done most of the homework I was set but I haven't gone over hardly any of the stuff we learnt during the first half term. The first 6 weeks of half term have been draining and I have lost my motivation to work. We are constantly being told to do 5 hours per subject per week of independent study and I am nowhere near that at the moment. Does this mean that I will constantly be playing catch up and when should i really be looking at putting my head down and work everyday?

Scroll to see replies

Well considering it's only been a month into AS there just isn't much to revise/look at constantly.
Don't worry about it, I don't revise for hours per week and am doing fine. :smile:
Reply 2
I only started doing extra notes (other than homework set by teachers) in december holidays. Enjoy this period now (september to december), because the hard work really begins after january.

With that said do not fall behind from homework because it's difficult to catch up.
I did no work until February and got 4 As. Don't stress it
Reply 4
Original post by tcameron
Well considering it's only been a month into AS there just isn't much to revise/look at constantly.
Don't worry about it, I don't revise for hours per week and am doing fine. :smile:

I know but A levels seem such a big step up from GCSE. There's so much more depth to the content and so much more to get your head around.
Reply 5
Original post by TheTechN1304

That definitley makes me feel better, what subjects did you take?
Original post by Azzer11
That definitley makes me feel better, what subjects did you take?

German, Japanese, Economics, Politics
TSR likes to let you believe that without 5 hours of revision every single day, you're going to fail. This is false. There's always time to turn it around, so don't stress if you don't settle into AS straight away, a lot of people don't.
Original post by Azzer11
I know but A levels seem such a big step up from GCSE. There's so much more depth to the content and so much more to get your head around.

I don't think there is nessesarily MORE content in A-levels than GCSE, i think it is just more in DEPTH.
It isn't as big as a step as teachers/people claim I don't think.
I didn't start revising until after the Easter holidays. I would like to say that what I got was decent for my effort. It's obviously better to revise early but you don't want to end up boring yourself with the content by the time the revision really is necessary(near the exams).

I'm doing the same thing as you and I'm in my A2 year :biggrin:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304

you badass, you! :wink:
Original post by thatitootoo
you badass, you! :wink:

you're making me feel guilty now!
Calm down it's fine... You probably only want to be doing independent study after christmas anyway.. and certainly not 5 hours a week per subject that's just too much at this point you would bore yourself to death. you'll be fine even if you only start working after christmas...
I got AAAA at AS though with UMS scores of 99%,97%,86% and 83% and I only really revised a couple of weeks before the exams, cramming is the most effective revision method because how you supposed to remember what you revise now for exams in May/June?So cram all your revision a couple of weeks before and you should be able to remember most of it.A lot the modules don't really need revision its just best to to be on the safe side and to get the highest possible UMS.
Did it like... I'll just say within the month of the exam so it sounds more lmao

Got AAAA and an A*

Lowest was 92% overall which was only because I bombed the practical apparently

Sooooooo point is, work effectively and you'll be fiiine
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Did it like... I'll just say within the month of the exam so it sounds more lmao

Got AAAA and an A*

Lowest was 92% overall which was only because I bombed the practical apparently

Whoa. You're so smart.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, I would recommend max 30 mins to 1 hour per week per subject to go over the work covered. If you are confident you already know it, then there is no need to go over that subject. You need to work a little, but only lighlty until you start revising. Then you need to gradually pick up the pace but revision is a while off yet.

Dont worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
OP, I would recommend max 30 mins to 1 hour per week per subject to go over the work covered. If you are confident you already know it, then there is no need to go over that subject. You need to work a little, but only lighlty until you start revising. Then you need to gradually pick up the pace but revision is a while off yet.

Dont worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is probably the best advice to follow.
Reply 18
Original post by Undisclosed 15

Dont worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good advice, thanks
Original post by loperdoper
TSR likes to let you believe that without 5 hours of revision every single day, you're going to fail. This is false. There's always time to turn it around, so don't stress if you don't settle into AS straight away, a lot of people don't.

I did 7 hours + in May and June of AS cause I was a lazy **** and had to relearn everything.

Quick Reply

Latest