The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
I just got the 8 week email as well for maths and econ! Does LSE use the full 8 weeks to let me know their decision or will they tell me a bit earlier? Also, I'm an international student if that impacts how fast they get back to me.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 421
So I applied to LSE 2 days ago and I got the 2 week email telling me they're reviewing my application today.

I take it the 8 week email is next (assuming I reach that stage). Could anyone tell me what the 8 week email actually says?
Original post by rmisra
So I applied to LSE 2 days ago and I got the 2 week email telling me they're reviewing my application today.

I take it the 8 week email is next (assuming I reach that stage). Could anyone tell me what the 8 week email actually says?

They sent out the 8 week email exactly when I'm one week into my 2 week email. Basically saying that your application is under the consideration of the certain department. They will make academic assessments on your qualifications and personal statement, and will be considering your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort. May take up to 8 weeks.
Reply 423
Original post by saycheese:)
They sent out the 8 week email exactly when I'm one week into my 2 week email. Basically saying that your application is under the consideration of the certain department. They will make academic assessments on your qualifications and personal statement, and will be considering your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort. May take up to 8 weeks.

Okay, thanks :smile:
Is it true LSE only really take international students because of the money?
Original post by emmelinelu

Do you know that UCL Imperial and Edinburgh charge fees higher than LSE?
Original post by Mariusk03
I'm doing the IB and am predicted to get 44 points :smile: I only take Math SL but apparently as long as I'm predicted to get a 7 in the course (which I am) that shouldn't be too big of a disadvantage. Just received an e-mail saying I'll get more information in two weeks time, so I guess that's positive :smile: Is LSE your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive applied to Oxford, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Kings. LSE is my favourite of them all but Oxford would be very good so who knows
Original post by GandalfWhite
I believe it has to do with the kind of students LSE is trying to get into the different courses. For economics, they are looking for Maths, FM and Physics/Chemistry/Economics - basically quantitative subjects with a higher percentage of A* and A then qualitative subjects such as History, Psychology, Sociology. LSE states clearly that they treat Management degree as a social science, unlike Management Science which is more mathematical. LSE clearly states in their admissions statement that they prefer applicants with a good spread of subjects.

You shouldn't think that Management is less academic than Economics. It is just different. Someone with A*A*A* in Maths, FM and Physics may find Management difficult compared to Economics due to the qualitative content. Actually, some apply to change out of Management in fear of the qualitative element. Still, LSE's Management course has more mathematical and economics content than similar degrees in most other universities. So, LSE Management students have to be good in both quantitative and qualitative areas.

Also, Management and Economics are just as competitive as their applicants to places ratios are both about around 14:1. FYI, most current students have much higher grades than AAB.

Yeah I wasn't sure at first as some people seem to think management sounds a bit Btec if you know what i mean but then LSE would only offer top degrees. I just thought AAB to go to LSE seems low in comparison.
If I dont take FM, will I stand a chance to get in LSE economics?
Original post by Millerman
Yeah I wasn't sure at first as some people seem to think management sounds a bit Btec if you know what i mean but then LSE would only offer top degrees. I just thought AAB to go to LSE seems low in comparison.

Those people are behind time. A LSE Mgmt graduate will be better prepared for the real world than an Econs graduate. If you notice LSE is promoting importance of entrepreneurial ... Many successful executives are discovering that business startups are more rewarding. Management is interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary and more relevant ...guess how the real world is like.
My predicted grades are AAA in Maths, History, and Business Studies. I plan on achieving A*AA and then having a gap year next year and doing further maths and economics AS levels in this gap year. I will then apply with (hopefully) A*AA in Maths, History, and Business Studies, A in general studies and A in EPQ with predicted AA in further maths and economics AS levels. Do you think I will have a good chance at getting an offer for Economics at LSE with this? I know business studies is a soft subject, and the lack of further maths/economics AS levels this year has put me at a big disadvantage. So by taking a gap year and doing this do you think I will have a better chance? Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by GandalfWhite
Do you know that UCL Imperial and Edinburgh charge fees higher than LSE?

No, but they may not be as greedy
Reply 432

Ive heard this. A girl on tsr told me her friend got an offer for lse econ with average grades and ps (he was an internantional applicant).:eek: But we will never really know whether lse do take internantionals for that reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr-96
Ive heard this. A girl on tsr told me her friend got an offer for lse econ with average grades and ps (he was an internantional applicant).:eek: But we will never really know whether lse do take internantionals for that reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school actively discourages applying to LSE unless you are an int student. Loads of the above case has happened and lots of the people with top grades from this country don't get in.
Reply 434
My school actively discourages applying to LSE unless you are an int student. Loads of the above case has happened and lots of the people with top grades from this country don't get in.

Really? I feel as though LSE are very unpredictable sometimes. I really don't think i'll get an offer:frown:
Have you heard anything from LSE?:smile:
Original post by sr-96
Really? I feel as though LSE are very unpredictable sometimes. I really don't think i'll get an offer:frown:
Have you heard anything from LSE?:smile:

I filled in the questionnaire last week, but nothing more has come. You?
Reply 436
I filled in the questionnaire last week, but nothing more has come. You?

Same:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mariusk03
May I ask how you know that it has the lowest success rate to receive an offer? :smile: Would be nice if you had some kind of numbers or maybe acceptance rates to share!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get the numbers from the admissions criteria for each course and compare.

Lots of internationals with top grades don't get in either. A friend in Cambridge doing Econs said he and many of his international course mates did not get offers from LSE. Why not? Dunno.
No, but they may not be as greedy

??? What do you mean not as greedy?

Quick Reply

Latest