The Student Room Group

Pick me

Can you guys help me?
I'm going to give several groups of A-Level choices and can you pick the best choice for me? Each group consisting of the 4 A-Levels will be classified under a number:

1 - College options:
A-Level Maths
A-Level Business
A-Level Electronics
*A-Level Sociology

2 - Sixth form options:
A-Level Maths
A-Level Economics/Business
A-Level Sociology
*A-Level Media Studies

3 - College options:
A Level Maths
A-Level Business
A-Level Sociology
*A-Level Media Studies

*4TH SUBJECT BE DROPPED AFTER FIRST YEAR

Firstly, do any of these set of A-Levels look well with each other? I don't want to entirely link each subject, but i'm trying to add diversity into my options; i'm not entirely sure what my ideal career will be in the future, so that's why i thought of adding diversity into my choices.
Original post by Schu98
Can you guys help me?
I'm going to give several groups of A-Level choices and can you pick the best choice for me? Each group consisting of the 4 A-Levels will be classified under a number:

1 - College options:
A-Level Maths
A-Level Business
A-Level Electronics
*A-Level Sociology

2 - Sixth form options:
A-Level Maths
A-Level Economics/Business
A-Level Sociology
*A-Level Media Studies

3 - College options:
A Level Maths
A-Level Business
A-Level Sociology
*A-Level Media Studies

*4TH SUBJECT BE DROPPED AFTER FIRST YEAR

Firstly, do any of these set of A-Levels look well with each other? I don't want to entirely link each subject, but i'm trying to add diversity into my options; i'm not entirely sure what my ideal career will be in the future, so that's why i thought of adding diversity into my choices.

I'd probably go for Option 2, and go for Economics instead of business, reason being that it's more respected by universities if you decide you want to go.Maths and Economics go well together, as well as economics and sociology with them both being social sciences.

Hope I've helped:smile::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
One thing I would say is that you shouldn't go into it think that you know what you're going to drop after AS. You might think it makes sense, but you don't know whether you're going to enjoy all of your courses yet, or what grades you're going to get. If you know the uni you want to go to requires AAA, and you got an A in the subject you want to drop but a C in the one you want to keep, you'd be making things very difficult for yourself..
Reply 3
Any idea for university?

The thing is, if you really want to keep your options open as much as possible, you should pick from the following list:
Maths
Further maths
History
Geography
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English literature
A language
Economics

And avoid media or electronics (they are (almost) never a requirement for any degree as not every school offers it. They'd rather have physics/maths than electronics for engineering degree for example, and maths/physics open more door than electronics). Do economics over business as well.

Edit:
Check this document out
Some popular degrees will normally be open to you without any specificsubject background. Examples include:Accountancy, Anthropology, Archaeology, Business Studies, History of Art,Law, Management Studies, Media Studies, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology,Religious Studies/Theology, Sociology, Surveying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest