The Student Room Group

I'm lacking behind on revision *sigh*

I planned this holiday to be full of revision, notes, vigorous reading, books and exam practice. And yes, I have a work ethic.
But I have revised so little this week! It's irritating and annoying.
I'm just not the one who procrastinate, I'm the one - out of my whole class and friends- who studies and works the most.
My concentration levels and motivation levels are extremely poor and I feel so... foolish? Yes, foolish.
I have not been waking up at the correct time for me to begin my revision, have been extremely distracted by technology, and disregards work!
This is not me!
This never happens to me, especially in the holidays, I would work rigorously.
It makes no sense to me.
I'd take vitamin c and energy pills but I do not want to waste them, I'd need them later on during the year.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Especially on concentration levels (it is usually very high).
And yes, I have no examinations after the holidays, all have been complete; they will be due prior to the December holidays, 2 weeks really.

Scroll to see replies

Bump.
inachigeek21
X

you're way too young to be popping dem pills m8

there's really no need to start revising intensely so early, all you're doing is putting yourself at risk of burning out before your real exams

i wrote a short post here about some tips for gcses - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51161615&postcount=2

for you, i would say the most important thing is remembering that most people do not have the atttention spans to work for more than half an hour straight, let alone solidly for hours on end

break your revision up into short intense blocks and take regular 5 minute breaks - you might want to take a look at this

hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank the lord it's not just me. I too had scheduled every day of these holidays ensuring I got all set work done so I had time to get loads of revision done BUT that has not happened, I've not even done the stuff that's compulsory. I can't really advise you, being in the same boat but I'm telling myself that the time can be won back during school time. Don't worry as d-ream once said "it can only get better" of which Brian Cox was a member so it must be true. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
don't bother with pill popping, and there's really no need to start revising intensely so early, all you're doing is putting yourself at risk of burning out before your real exams

i wrote a short post here about some tips for gcses - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51161615&postcount=2

for you, i would say the most important thing is remembering that most people do not have the atttention spans to work for more than half an hour straight, let alone solidly for hours on end

break your revision up into short intense blocks and take regular 5 minute breaks - you might want to take a look at this

hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much; I appreciate it.
So it's a good thing to take a break when it comes down to the holiday?
Original post by inachigeek21
Thank you so much; I appreciate it.
So it's a good thing to take a break when it comes down to the holiday?

yes of course

right now, i would say no more than two hours after school, with weekends off

closer to exam time (imo around easter) you can step it up a bit, but taking breaks is essential as people simply cannot concentrate on one task for that long
Original post by AlphaMolecule
Sorry but this is you.

Try to prove us wrong if you will.

May you elaborate on what you have said?
Try to prove us wrong if you will...?
Holy moly, thank god it's not just me. I was beginning to worry for a second.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So glad that it's not just me! I'm still trying to justify that listening to French music is the same as revising it...
Reply 9
Just like the above posters.
Thank god it's not just me.

I need to revise for Science mocks, Maths mock. Memorize Spanish Draft and complete homework, all for the first two days back.
I planned to do all during half term, but sometimes it's really hard to stick to it, once you have all the work.
Not to mention, most my revision consists of memorizing information, which can really get boring after half an hour, so it involves a lot of breaks in between, to help the information stay in, which often I go to far and end up taking an hour break. Bad I know.

So far, I've only revised a third of Biology, and none for Chemistry, I've written my Spanish draft, and memorized the first paragraph, but I'm a day behind in Spanish work, as I should've memorized Paragraph 2 by today.

I've done no maths revision or any homework. But the homework can be done the night before.

I'm really going to pull my weight for the last few days of Half Term.
Memorize Paragraphs 2 and 3 of Spanish Draft and revise the whole of Biology tomorrow.

Maths revision and homework can wait.

Plus is it me or has the half term gone by quickly?. I can't believe it's Halloween, already.
Feels like an hour ago, when it was Sunday night.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Grade
Just like the above posters.
Thank god it's not just me.

I need to revise for Science mocks, Maths mock. Memorize Spanish Draft and complete homework.
I planned to do all during half term, but sometimes it's really hard to stick to it, once you have all the work.

So far, I've only revised a third of Biology, and none for Chemistry, I've written my Spanish draft, and memorized the first paragraph, but I'm a day behind in Spanish work, as I should've memorized Paragraph 2 by today.

I've done no maths revision or any homework. But the homework can be done the night before.

I'm really going to pull my weight for the last few days of Half Term.
Memorize Paragraphs 2 and 3 of Spanish Draft and revise the whole of Biology.

Maths revision and homework can wait.

Plus is it me or has the half term gone by quickly?. I can't believe it's Halloween, already.

Did you procrastinate?
My exams are over, I just like to study. I have a work ethic.
Reply 11
Did you procrastinate?
My exams are over, I just like to study. I have a work ethic.

Not really.
I don't leave it to the last minute. I do revision everyday, it's just not as much as I plan because certain subjects take up a lot of time, so I end up loosing time for other subjects and then it becomes stressful the next day as I need to catch up.

But when I do start to revise, I find it hard, as I have a lot to memorize within a small period of time, so I can only revise in small amounts, before I loose concentration, so when I take breaks, I end up taking longer breaks (i.e half an hour long breaks).
I also blame hunger. For some reason, I get hungry during revision, especially when memorizing amounts of information, so when I often take breaks, I usually go to eat something which also kills time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Omfg. You're doing GCSE's they are the ****ing easiest exams on the planet. I didn't revise for mine at all, never mind revising in October, well over 6 months away, ffs -__-. Go outside or something.
Reply 13
I planned this holiday to be full of revision, notes, vigorous reading, books and exam practice. And yes, I have a work ethic.
But I have revised so little this week! It's irritating and annoying.
I'm just not the one who procrastinate, I'm the one - out of my whole class and friends- who studies and works the most.
My concentration levels and motivation levels are extremely poor and I feel so... foolish? Yes, foolish.
I have not been waking up at the correct time for me to begin my revision, have been extremely distracted by technology, and disregards work!
This is not me!
This never happens to me, especially in the holidays, I would work rigorously.
It makes no sense to me.
I'd take vitamin c and energy pills but I do not want to waste them, I'd need them later on during the year.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Especially on concentration levels (it is usually very high).
And yes, I have no examinations after the holidays, all have been complete; they will be due prior to the December holidays, 2 weeks really.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! And it's with English.
Inbox me.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
What Geography coursework do you have to do? I have to do about Vuntut Gwitchin, maybe it's the same as you?
Reply 16
I can't wait till Wednesday, when all the mocks are over.
I'm so sick of memorizing. If I never have to read a sentence over and over several times, I'll live.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Guys, relax! I didn't start any GCSE revision until about Easter and I did fine (even by TSR standards - 9A*2A). You'll seriously burn yourself out if you start now, and it takes a long time to recover from this (I did it in Y12...)
Why do you take vitamin c pills,can't you eat more fruit?
Reply 19
Original post by TVIO
Guys, relax! I didn't start any GCSE revision until about Easter and I did fine (even by TSR standards - 9A*2A). You'll seriously burn yourself out if you start now, and it takes a long time to recover from this (I did it in Y12...)

Hahaha.. Lemme join the party too :frown:

I guess it's cause we have our mocks coming up. Did you revise properly for your mocks?

Quick Reply