The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Would you recommend Aberystwyth?

I'm thinking of applying to Aberystwyth however I was wondering what current students think about studying there. My main questions are how isolated is the town? How is the night life? I'm from Manchester, and although I'm not expecting the nightlife to be anything like it is here, do you ever get bored? or run out of stuff to do? what about concerts? I'm assuming there's no stadium, so where would you go to see someone on tour? how are the shops, is there anywhere to buy CDs and stuff like that or will you have to order it online? is it a friendly place to be? How many of the students are from wales? is there any kind of lgbt scene? the last one isn't of great importance, but i wouldn't really want to go 3 years without having 1 date haha :') I know this is a lot but I can't find any of this in the prospectus and I'd rather have honest opinions from students who are there :-) Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey dude, I've been offered a place at Aberystwyth and I was wondering the same. I know a bloke who is in his second year there he absolutely loves it. It's a nice town by the Sea which can have its perks in summer. The night life is good, there's like 3 clubs and over 50 pubs. Due to the small nature of the town you'll always know people because in term time the students make up about 30% of the population of Aberystwyth. I read this in the reviews and on their site. The lectures are apparently rather good and same for the accommodation if you know where to look. I'm legitimately looking at it as one of my options. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
i just started in september and i'm really happy i chose here-heres some answers...
how isolated is the town? - its a pain to get home cos the trains are only every 2 hours but i dont feel particularly isolated...

How is the night life? -one of my friends who likes clubbing sometimes gets a bit fed up sometimes but if you're more into pubs than clubs you'll be fine :smile:
where would you go to see someone on tour? - the nearest place for bands is birmingham to be honest
how are the shops, is there anywhere to buy CDs and stuff like that or will you have to order it online? -theres a game and 'andys records' that i've seen so far
is it a friendly place to be? i started in september and loving it so far-there is quite a community feel just cos it is so small and theres such a large proportion of students
How many of the students are from wales?-apparently its about a third but i havent really noticed-you definetely won't feel in the minority or anything if you're not welsh
is there any kind of lgbt scene? -cant help you on that one sorry though i think theres a lgbt soc

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Shop wise, are there more like independent shops or big chain stores? (asda, tesco, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK as a current finalist student - prepare for answers
Original post by Moyler-a
Shop wise, are there more like independent shops or big chain stores? (asda, tesco, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have a Morrisons in Llanbardan Fawr (small village right next to Aber), 2 small spars, 1 big 24 hour spar, and the recently opened (on TUESDAY!) Tesco extra (yes, the one with that cash machine outside with the dodgy translation!). More convenient is CKs, where everyone goes. Big Spar on Great Darkgate Street is only 24 hour shop.

Original post by jnny
i just started in september and i'm really happy i chose here-heres some answers...
how isolated is the town? - its a pain to get home cos the trains are only every 2 hours but i dont feel particularly isolated...
- actually there are plans in the works to get that to a 1 hour service as of end of 2015, and in the far future (probably 10-15 years off) they are thinking of reopening the line to South Wales.
How is the night life? -one of my friends who likes clubbing sometimes gets a bit fed up sometimes but if you're more into pubs than clubs you'll be fine :smile: - the clubs do have a tendency of playing the same songs. I cannot count how many times Gangnam Style has been played over the years - or the Lonely Island and Akon
where would you go to see someone on tour? - the nearest place for bands is birmingham to be honest - I don't know we do get comedians like Jimmy Carr regularly. But for music, yeah, Birmingham / Manchester are safer bets.
how are the shops, is there anywhere to buy CDs and stuff like that or will you have to order it online? -theres a game and 'andys records' that i've seen so far . There are these places, but for most Amazon is our friend. And Netflix.
is it a friendly place to be? i started in september and loving it so far-there is quite a community feel just cos it is so small and theres such a large proportion of students Yes, and you get to know people very quickly
How many of the students are from wales?-apparently its about a third but i havent really noticed-you definetely won't feel in the minority or anything if you're not welsh more than that, it's about 1/2. 1/2 Welsh, 1/3 elsewhere in the UK and 1/6 international (for the most part from European Union, but we do have our fair share of Americans and people from the far East).
is there any kind of lgbt scene? -cant help you on that one sorry though i think theres a lgbt soc. There is. 2 meetings a week - 1 at night (Thursdays) and 1 in the day (Sundays), and 1 Tuesday night a month there is an LGBT disco night called Scene at the Union

- Just added my answers to yours, sorry.

Hey dude, I've been offered a place at Aberystwyth and I was wondering the same. I know a bloke who is in his second year there he absolutely loves it. It's a nice town by the Sea which can have its perks in summer. The night life is good, there's like 3 clubs and over 50 pubs. Due to the small nature of the town you'll always know people because in term time the students make up about 30% of the population of Aberystwyth. I read this in the reviews and on their site. The lectures are apparently rather good and same for the accommodation if you know where to look. I'm legitimately looking at it as one of my options. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You tend not to see many of the locals in term time. The night life is OK, but it's nothing on the scale of the bigger cities; if you like nightclubs then Aber really is NOT the place for you. We do have 2 nightclubs with cheap entry and cheap enough alcohol, but there really isn't the competition you get in places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Portsmouth etc. Students make up about 50-70% I believe. The accommodation - NEVER go private for second year. ALWAYS apply for uni accommodation. I have not heard many good things at all about the private sector here, and have always been fortunate enough to live on campus. For campus choices I would heavily (and biasedly) say Pentre Jane Morgan before anywhere else. It has such a community feeling and is by far the best campus accommodation. I would advise against Brynderw in town; spent some of my time there in first year, and honestly, I'd be here all night if I was to tell you what I found problematic about it - if you live on the top floor, I sympathise for you as that's where I was. No elevator to take you up with your shopping, nor laundromat facilities in the building - best of luck with that bro!

Original post by JacobB13
I'm thinking of applying to Aberystwyth however I was wondering what current students think about studying there. My main questions are how isolated is the town? How is the night life? I'm from Manchester, and although I'm not expecting the nightlife to be anything like it is here, do you ever get bored? or run out of stuff to do? what about concerts? I'm assuming there's no stadium, so where would you go to see someone on tour? how are the shops, is there anywhere to buy CDs and stuff like that or will you have to order it online? is it a friendly place to be? How many of the students are from wales? is there any kind of lgbt scene? the last one isn't of great importance, but i wouldn't really want to go 3 years without having 1 date haha :') I know this is a lot but I can't find any of this in the prospectus and I'd rather have honest opinions from students who are there :-) Thanks!

First thing's first; what is your subject choice? Second of all you never really notice the isolation ... until you return home ... unless that's isolated, then by comparison Aber will be the equivalent of London. The nearest major town is Shrewsbury, which is 1 hour 50 minutes by train, otherwise Aber is the nearest major settlement for miles - and we're only a population of about 25,000. So yeah, if you're from Manchester, it will be a massive shock to the system, unless you're a regular visitor to the Pennines and/or the Dales, which will give you some sort of accurate image. The nightlife is ok - better for pubs, but not a club place at all. We have 2 cinemas, but only 1 screen in each and the releases are about 6 weeks behind the rest of the UK, BUT half the price of a standard odeon ticket - £4.50, which tbh is pretty good. To see someone on tour, you either need to return home to Manchester or head directly to Birmingham Airport where the NEC is (only direct train from Aber, which takes 3 hours 16 minutes to get to). CDs there is Andy's records, and a small selection in Morrisons, but other than that order online. DVDs are much more Order online. It's friendly but if you fall out with someone, there's no avoiding them really, it is a small town. Everyone knows everyone. There is an LGBT society which often runs events and socials - I've been to the events myself, they're pretty good and cheap to get into, the socials, I can't comment on because I've never been. I would say dating apps could be the best way forward when you get into Aber, if you struggle to find someone after first term, say.

Oh and you never get sunsets like you do in Aber. Everyone has a whole Facebook album full of them. And avoid the seagulls - they WILL take your food! And avoid Liplicking Chicken after a drunken night out ... Everyone gets dominoes or McDonalds anyway, but just making the point ...
Reply 5
You hero, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
There was a young maid of Aberystwyth,
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

It did help! Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jnny

How is the night life? -one of my friends who likes clubbing sometimes gets a bit fed up sometimes but if you're more into pubs than clubs you'll be fine :smile:
where would you go to see someone on tour? - the nearest place for bands is birmingham to be honest
how are the shops, is there anywhere to buy CDs and stuff like that or will you have to order it online? -theres a game and 'andys records' that i've seen so far
is it a friendly place to be? i started in september and loving it so far-there is quite a community feel just cos it is so small and theres such a large proportion of students
How many of the students are from wales?-apparently its about a third but i havent really noticed-you definetely won't feel in the minority or anything if you're not welsh
is there any kind of lgbt scene? -cant help you on that one sorry though i think theres a lgbt soc

Thanks for the info! :smile: I was wondering what do students spend their time doing then? If not going to clubs and that?
Reply 9
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
OK as a current finalist student - prepare for answers

We have a Morrisons in Llanbardan Fawr (small village right next to Aber), 2 small spars, 1 big 24 hour spar, and the recently opened (on TUESDAY!) Tesco extra (yes, the one with that cash machine outside with the dodgy translation!). More convenient is CKs, where everyone goes. Big Spar on Great Darkgate Street is only 24 hour shop.

- Just added my answers to yours, sorry.

You tend not to see many of the locals in term time. The night life is OK, but it's nothing on the scale of the bigger cities; if you like nightclubs then Aber really is NOT the place for you. We do have 2 nightclubs with cheap entry and cheap enough alcohol, but there really isn't the competition you get in places like Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Portsmouth etc. Students make up about 50-70% I believe. The accommodation - NEVER go private for second year. ALWAYS apply for uni accommodation. I have not heard many good things at all about the private sector here, and have always been fortunate enough to live on campus. For campus choices I would heavily (and biasedly) say Pentre Jane Morgan before anywhere else. It has such a community feeling and is by far the best campus accommodation. I would advise against Brynderw in town; spent some of my time there in first year, and honestly, I'd be here all night if I was to tell you what I found problematic about it - if you live on the top floor, I sympathise for you as that's where I was. No elevator to take you up with your shopping, nor laundromat facilities in the building - best of luck with that bro!

First thing's first; what is your subject choice? Second of all you never really notice the isolation ... until you return home ... unless that's isolated, then by comparison Aber will be the equivalent of London. The nearest major town is Shrewsbury, which is 1 hour 50 minutes by train, otherwise Aber is the nearest major settlement for miles - and we're only a population of about 25,000. So yeah, if you're from Manchester, it will be a massive shock to the system, unless you're a regular visitor to the Pennines and/or the Dales, which will give you some sort of accurate image. The nightlife is ok - better for pubs, but not a club place at all. We have 2 cinemas, but only 1 screen in each and the releases are about 6 weeks behind the rest of the UK, BUT half the price of a standard odeon ticket - £4.50, which tbh is pretty good. To see someone on tour, you either need to return home to Manchester or head directly to Birmingham Airport where the NEC is (only direct train from Aber, which takes 3 hours 16 minutes to get to). CDs there is Andy's records, and a small selection in Morrisons, but other than that order online. DVDs are much more Order online. It's friendly but if you fall out with someone, there's no avoiding them really, it is a small town. Everyone knows everyone. There is an LGBT society which often runs events and socials - I've been to the events myself, they're pretty good and cheap to get into, the socials, I can't comment on because I've never been. I would say dating apps could be the best way forward when you get into Aber, if you struggle to find someone after first term, say.

Oh and you never get sunsets like you do in Aber. Everyone has a whole Facebook album full of them. And avoid the seagulls - they WILL take your food! And avoid Liplicking Chicken after a drunken night out ... Everyone gets dominoes or McDonalds anyway, but just making the point ...

Thanks for the info! :smile: I'd probably be studying German/Spanish if I do go :smile: ah so you've found the dating scene okay then? I kinda had this mental image it'd be an only gay in the village scenario like off Little Britain haha :smile:
Reply 10
My mate who goes there says there's a good mix of girls and guys of all orientations, which is awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the info! :smile: I'd probably be studying German/Spanish if I do go :smile: ah so you've found the dating scene okay then? I kinda had this mental image it'd be an only gay in the village scenario like off Little Britain haha :smile:

Ah cool, I'm a French student so I can give you some info on the European Languages department if you want?
I've not really bothered with it if I'm tbh. Aber is such a small town that if things go wrong in relationships - they find a way of becoming known by a fair percentage of people.

My mate who goes there says there's a good mix of girls and guys of all orientations, which is awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I joined in 2011 the international student profile was mainly Northern and Eastern European, with a fair portion of Irish too. However, 2014, it's even more diverse. We have people from China, South Korea, Brunei, the USA, France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Australia and Czech Republic to name some more.
Reply 12
Ah cool, I'm a French student so I can give you some info on the European Languages department if you want?
I've not really bothered with it if I'm tbh. Aber is such a small town that if things go wrong in relationships - they find a way of becoming known by a fair percentage of people.

Yeah that'd be great :smile: how have you found it? Are you in lessons/seminars many hours a week? is the actual teaching any good? :smile: ah, it's that sort of place haha :smile: would you say it was easy to make friends? On visiting other bigger uni's open days it felt really overwhelming and there were so many people you kind of felt lost.
Original post by Camilli

Who went to the mill to get grist with,
Aberystwyth is not the place to study. It has had a sharp decline in the rankings due to the low entry requirements. One course that they have is Physics and Business as a joint honours. How does this even relate to each other?! When I went to the campus, it seems run down and the accommodation is well let's not say...

Although it is not one of my choices to study despite me living close by. This university doesn't seem to be the best and that shows in the statistics and run down campus..
[QUOTE="JacobB13;51290583"]

Yeah that'd be great :smile: how have you found it? Are you in lessons/seminars many hours a week? is the actual teaching any good? :smile: ah, it's that sort of place haha :smile: would you say it was easy to make friends? On visiting other bigger uni's open days it felt really overwhelming and there were so many people you kind of felt lost.

I'm on a split course actually with another department. This semester I am only taking 1/4 of my credits with the French department, but next term I will be doing the other 3/4.

For French it works as follows

Years 1 & 2
Oral - weekly
Listening - weekly
Grammar - weekly
Translation - fortnightly

Year 3 - abroad

Year 4
Oral - Weekly
Listening - Fortnightly
Grammar - weekly
Translation - weekly

Each session is about 50 minutes in length, but its not uncommon to have doubles (1 hour 50)

You also get the chance to do EL modules which basically means you get to do classes with students of other languages with regards to European film linguistics etc. TEFL is a popular choice (you can do that either 2nd or 4th year, I did it in 2nd year as I knew I'd be doing British Council for the year abroad)

The workload works outside of classes works out as 2 hours outside work to 1 hour of classes, and first 2 years you get somewhere in the region of 10-12 hours of classes a week.

You get taught by native speakers, but first year I did have a grammar teacher who was English, but 90% of the time, staff are Francophone.

Four ways to make friends in Aber
1) Course
2) Flat
3) Societies
4) Friends of friends

Aber there are 2 campuses, Llanbardarn (mainly sciences) and Hugh Owen (everyone else). It's not unusual to have exams on Llanbardarn though even if your subject isn't taught there. I've never visited that campus. But it is 30 minutes away by foot or a 5-10 min bus journey from the main campus. Open day, you probably will get lost, but the Hugh Owen is one of the easiest buildings to navigate. Within about a week or so, you'll know your way around it.

Original post by annoy123
Aberystwyth is not the place to study. It has had a sharp decline in the rankings due to the low entry requirements. One course that they have is Physics and Business as a joint honours. How does this even relate to each other?! When I went to the campus, it seems run down and the accommodation is well let's not say...

Although it is not one of my choices to study despite me living close by. This university doesn't seem to be the best and that shows in the statistics and run down campus..

I don't think it's purely down to the grade requirements, but rather the negative press attention the university has received. But your point about Physics and Business is really snobbish if I'm tbh. Go to another British university and you'll find many courses which people will perceive as mismatched. Aber is NOT alone on that. People wouldn't associate my two courses, but they are offered at plenty of universities in the rest of the UK. Campus, we've had scaffholding on for the last 2 years, so it's become the norm for me to see it all the time particularly on the Hugh Owen, however it's an even more common sight in town itself. They are fixing the accommodation with Penglais Farm, and despite the delays (was supposed to open this year, now postponed until next year earliest - I think defo finished by 2016 though). Brynderw, I would not recommend anyone to stay in, if you end up on the town or seafront residences that is the one you don't want. However, despite the floods, the barriers are generally safe and do well to protect from flooding. The events from January 2014 and June 2012 are EXTREMELY rare! In fact the last major storm Aber had endured was before the second world war (the winter of 1938). PJM all the way for accommodation. Rosser is more expensive, but not worth the money for the ensuite - it is extremely compact, and if you're claustrophobic, best of luck!
[QUOTE="gagaslilmonsteruk;51317755"]

I don't think it's purely down to the grade requirements, but rather the negative press attention the university has received. But your point about Physics and Business is really snobbish if I'm tbh. Go to another British university and you'll find many courses which people will perceive as mismatched. Aber is NOT alone on that. People wouldn't associate my two courses, but they are offered at plenty of universities in the rest of the UK. Campus, we've had scaffholding on for the last 2 years, so it's become the norm for me to see it all the time particularly on the Hugh Owen, however it's an even more common sight in town itself. They are fixing the accommodation with Penglais Farm, and despite the delays (was supposed to open this year, now postponed until next year earliest - I think defo finished by 2016 though). Brynderw, I would not recommend anyone to stay in, if you end up on the town or seafront residences that is the one you don't want. However, despite the floods, the barriers are generally safe and do well to protect from flooding. The events from January 2014 and June 2012 are EXTREMELY rare! In fact the last major storm Aber had endured was before the second world war (the winter of 1938). PJM all the way for accommodation. Rosser is more expensive, but not worth the money for the ensuite - it is extremely compact, and if you're claustrophobic, best of luck!

In some way it is negative press attention but they have slipped in the rankings. They've been on a huge decline, maybe other universities have made more investments or they have raised the grade requirements to ensure more and more people are passing.

I don't think I am being snobbish, I see how completely irrelevant they are together. No doubt I will see mismatched courses but I was just stating one of them from Aberystwyth.

One person from my class is going to that University who is struggling to get Passes at Level 3. Now Universities go up to level 6 so how is that person going to complete the work if they are struggling now? That person just needs to get passes and they will be accepted onto the course, now that is low requirements. I'm not being snobbish again, i'm stating the fact that they will fail or struggle and it reflects badly on a University. I wouldn't recommend any student accommodation apart from private, i've seen them and they don't look the best and could do with investment to improve it.

This is my opinion on the University and I see the decline is partially reflected on the grade requirements. If you attended the summer school, you are GUARANTEED an offer - basically paying you to go to the university. I myself won't be applying there due to other Universities that I find better but also more investments.
Original post by Camilli
Who went to the mill to get grist with,

The miller's son Jack
Laid her flat on her back,
Reply 18
Original post by annoy123

If you are basing your opinions on our rankings, then it shows how much you actually know. Step aside and let the actual students tell you what's really going on here.

I would recommend Aber, because despite its failure in the rankings, every single person I've talked to from different departments have never said their experience as a student in Biochem or Interpol has been bad. They all agree the lectures/lecturers are great, you are informed about seminars or work experience opportunities through email. Work is available online so you can catch up if you missed a lecture, or would like further reading. You know what's going on, but it's not rammed down your throat. Your tutors are all going to be brilliant. My tutor is an active researcher in cancer, and my flatmate's tutor does world-class research in her field of marine biology. So you will be taught by lecturers who really know their ****, so there's nothing to worry about there. Obviously I can't speak for Linguistic students seeing as I am a Microbiologist, but there's loads of support for students. You can even take up another language for free if you'd like to add to your list. :biggrin:

Nightlife is great if you like pubs, and the clubs are meh. Definitely depends on who you're out with, because some people are better at making your night more fun than others. I got bored of the nightlife a while back, but I've never been the sort of person who likes going out anyway. But if you're looking for other entertainment like hiking or surfing, there is plenty to offer. I definitely recommend joining a club or society. I'm in the surf club and we do surf lessons every Saturday, special discount for members (shameless advertising there haha). There is an active LGBT scene and they have socials every Wednesday I believe! ^^
Everyone is so friendly. Because it's such a small town, you'll know someone who knows a common friend. But it's not so great if you just had a one night stand you'd rather forget, I can almost guarantee you'll see them everywhere hahaha

The reason why we are so low in the rankings is because of our current management. I won't go into details, but basically our current vice chancellor is cashing in university funds and letting the management team she brought in run things, and they are s h I t e. So we can't afford to do a lot of things because the money we're supposed to be using for refurbishment/clubs/societies is busy being lined into our dear VC's pockets. And because of the decrease in money, we can't better the uni and we lose hard working staff in the process > potential students believe it's not as good as it is > decrease in paying students means things get tough when bills get higher > university struggles to keep their good name and reputation from being completely tarnished > unfair standardised checklists means the uni falls short in a lot of things > fall in rankings.
I find it really unfair that people think rankings are everything. My A levels went tits up simply because studying is not my forte. If a person wants to go to a university that can offer them good education, but their grades are bad, I don't think tha they should automatically be disqualified for higher education. Their commitment to education and perseverance is another thing to look for in a potential student. I am a clearing student, but I wanted to study my subject, and now I work even harder for myself. I just got my semester one exam results back and got straight firsts. You're in charge of your own future, so if you want it bad enough, you have to work for it. Now because Aber is failing miserably in the rankings, the lecturers know this. Therefore, you are offered a lot of work experience to compensate. A person who has a strong CV full of relevant work experience is just as valuable as a person with a good degree, and a lot of employers look for this. I am constantly emailed about relevant work experience, like the opportunity to au pair in another country. You get paid for it, and you also get to builds on your language skills.
Quite honestly, do not believe everything you are told. Come and see it for yourself because Aber is a great uni that deserves a better reputation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Leyyy
If you are basing your opinions on our rankings, then it shows how much you actually know. Step aside and let the actual students tell you what's really going on here.

Quite honestly, do not believe everything you are told. Come and see it for yourself because Aber is a great uni that deserves a better reputation.

You deserve a hi-5 for that. I could not have put it better myself. Are you a first year? I'm a finalist, and whilst I am looking forward to moving onto pastures new in 3 months time, when I look back, even now, I can't believe how much things were different this time 4 years ago before I started and how this uni has changed my life for the better both academically and personally. It's had it's tough points, but i think you get that at ANY uni, but it's been well worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest