The Student Room Group

Life Sciences with a Foundation Year - The University of Manchester

Hi guys,

I am intending on applying for the course 'Life Sciences with A Foundation Year' (C900) and will be applying in January, God willingly. It states in the course details that 'a good standard of GCSE or equivalent in science and mathematics will also be required'. I am unsure with regards to what specific grades would be needed for GCSE and A Levels. I am in my final year of A Levels at Sixth Form, I am studying English Literature, Sociology and Double Business Studies. What grades do you reckon I need in these subjects? I will honestly appreciate any help and assistance you guys can give me.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by B16LBW
Hi guys,

I am intending on applying for the course 'Life Sciences with A Foundation Year' (C900) and will be applying in January, God willingly. It states in the course details that 'a good standard of GCSE or equivalent in science and mathematics will also be required'. I am unsure with regards to what specific grades would be needed for GCSE and A Levels. I am in my final year of A Levels at Sixth Form, I am studying English Literature, Sociology and Double Business Studies. What grades do you reckon I need in these subjects? I will honestly appreciate any help and assistance you guys can give me.

Thanks

If you have already obtained A-levels (or equivalent) in subjects inappropriate for direct admission to one of the Life Sciences degree programmes (ABB or above), a good standard of GCSE or equivalent in science and mathematics will also be required.

Your A-levels i'd wager need to be around the ABB-AAB or equivalent region.

It's difficult to know what they mean by good standard GCSE - but i'd imagine it means ideally a B grade or above in Maths, Core Science, and Additional Science (or Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, if studied). What grades do you have at GCSE? If you have done separate sciences then I imagine the grades for Biology and Chemistry would be more important than Physics, for instance. I don't think they have hard and fast rules though, because applicants apply with quite different backgrounds.
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
Your A-levels i'd wager need to be around the ABB-AAB or equivalent region.

It's difficult to know what they mean by good standard GCSE - but i'd imagine it means ideally a B grade or above in Maths, Core Science, and Additional Science (or Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, if studied). What grades do you have at GCSE? If you have done separate sciences then I imagine the grades for Biology and Chemistry would be more important than Physics, for instance. I don't think they have hard and fast rules though, because applicants apply with quite different backgrounds.

I have a B in Physics, C in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by B16LBW
I have a B in Physics, C in Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I would be inclined to drop them an e-mail and ask what they're looking for then, as that might be quite borderline if they're ideally looking for B+ (i.e. probably what I would personally take 'good standard' to mean - bit more than a (good) pass). It could mean a C is acceptable and/or depending on the rest of the application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending