The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeavisideDelts
Problem 479 **

A die is thrown until an even number appears. What is the expected value of the sum of all the scores?

Spoiler

Problem 479 **

A die is thrown until an even number appears. What is the expected value of the sum of all the scores?

I reached the same conclusion as Smaug, but used a slightly different method (or at least, imo, a cleaner looking version of his)

Spoiler

I might add, I'm not quite sure why it's a ** question instead of a *.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smaug123

Spoiler

Your response doesn't appear particularly rigorous to me, it, at best, only seems to consider the cases where the first or second roll is even.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Your response doesn't appear particularly rigorous to me, it, at best, only seems to consider the cases where the first or second roll is even. Also, your value for E isn't consistent throughout your work. While the first and last equations will give E=7, the middle one doesn't:
E=2+32+3E66E=12+18+3E3E=30E=107.E = 2 + \frac{3}{2} + \frac{3 E}{6}\Rightarrow 6E=12+18+3E\Rightarrow 3E=30\Rightarrow E=10\not=7.

Last time I checked 6×32=9 \displaystyle 6 \times \dfrac{3}{2} = 9 :tongue:
Original post by ThatPerson
Last time I checked 6×32=9 \displaystyle 6 \times \dfrac{3}{2} = 9 :tongue:

My mistake, read it the other way up :tongue:
Doesn't change that it wouldn't appear to cover all cases.
Your response doesn't appear particularly rigorous to me, it, at best, only seems to consider the cases where the first or second roll is even. Also, your value for E isn't consistent throughout your work. While the first and last equations will give E=7, the middle one doesn't:
E=2+32+3E66E=12+18+3E3E=30E=107.E = 2 + \frac{3}{2} + \frac{3 E}{6}\Rightarrow 6E=12+18+3E\Rightarrow 3E=30\Rightarrow E=10\not=7.

His response is perfectly rigorous. It is using the law of total expectation (you may know it as the tower property of conditional expectation, as that is what I was lectured it as):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_total_expectation

In this case the partitioning events he is conditioning on are the outcome of the first roll, which is all that's necessary. His argument is actually much cleaner (as he instantly produces a simple linear equation without having to define 3 other things) and much more obviously rigorous than your own.
Original post by DJMayes
His response is perfectly rigorous. It is using the law of total expectation (you may know it as the tower property of conditional expectation, as that is what I was lectured it as):

In this case the partitioning events he is conditioning on are the outcome of the first roll, which is all that's necessary. His argument is actually much cleaner (as he instantly produces a simple linear equation without having to define 3 other things) and much more obviously rigorous than your own.

Fair dos, can't really say I paid much attention in stats (when I actually turned up) though so when covered it all went in one ear and out the other
Original post by DJMayes

Thanks :smile: I thought mine was cleaner, personally, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. For one thing, I didn't have to bother summing any series.

ETA: I learnt it as "iterated expectation", but in my mind it's really just taking expectations on both sides of the Law of Total Probability, rather than being a separate theorem in its own right.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks :smile: I thought mine was cleaner, personally, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. For one thing, I didn't have to bother summing any series.

ETA: I learnt it as "iterated expectation", but in my mind it's really just taking expectations on both sides of the Law of Total Probability, rather than being a separate theorem in its own right.

Well, if there is one advantage to mine is that if you haven't done much stats (or didn't pay attention to it) it's a lot easier to follow since they only mildly complicated bit is knowing that i=12i=1\sum\limits_{i=1}^{\infty}2^{-i}=1. And in many respects it's not even that complicated in that it's a well known result (or at least from 0 to infinity) and beyond that it's not exactly hard to understand why. :smile:
Well, if there is one advantage to mine is that if you haven't done much stats (or didn't pay attention to it) it's a lot easier to follow since they only mildly complicated bit is knowing that i=12i=1\sum\limits_{i=1}^{\infty}2^{-i}=1. And in many respects it's not even that complicated in that it's a well known result (or at least from 0 to infinity) and beyond that it's not exactly hard to understand why. :smile:

Oh, of course the sum's an easy one to evaluate :smile: I probably just didn't write out my answer very fully, so it's perhaps less comprehensible. (The key idea in it is really simple, though: if we get 1,3,5 then we proceed just as before, the expectation of the game being unchanged except for having 1,3,5 appended to it, while if we get 2,4,6 we stop with 2,4,6 appended to the current tally.)
Oh, of course the sum's an easy one to evaluate :smile: I probably just didn't write out my answer very fully, so it's perhaps less comprehensible. (The key idea in it is really simple, though: if we get 1,3,5 then we proceed just as before, the expectation of the game being unchanged except for having 1,3,5 appended to it, while if we get 2,4,6 we stop with 2,4,6 appended to the current tally.)

It was rather difficult to follow, all being in one long string didn't help at all, more line breaks and a bit more commentary would definitely have made it easier to follow, and would have highlighted what that you were actually using that law.
It was rather difficult to follow, all being in one long string didn't help at all, more line breaks and a bit more commentary would definitely have made it easier to follow, and would have highlighted what that you were actually using that law.

Fair enough - to be honest, I considered it to be so trivial that it didn't merit explaining. In a similar way, I'd use sequential compactness interchangeably with compactness in a metric space, without bothering to state the (suitably generalised) Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem and its converse. I felt it was one of those instances where spelling out the rigour would aesthetically mar the solution. (I may, of course, have been wrong.)

ETA: That's not to say I didn't like the puzzle! It was fun to solve, and I thought the argument was quite pleasing.
(edited 9 years ago)

Spoiler

Nice, thats the route i took :smile: However, there is the small issue that we have implicitly assumed E is a finite number which we do not necessarily know, though it is intuitively obvious (but so is a lot of mathematics haha).
Nice, thats the route i took :smile: However, there is the small issue that we have implicitly assumed E is a finite number which we do not necessarily know, though it is intuitively obvious (but so is a lot of mathematics haha).

It is finite: the game ends with probability 1/2 at each step, so it ends almost surely :P but yes, good spot.
Problem 480 ** (not much probability theory in A-Level)

Let X1,X2,...,Xn X_1, X_2,...,X_n be i.i.d r.v's with uniform distribution on [1,2] [1,2] .

Determine a unique value, Δ \Delta , such that limnPr(a<(X1X2...Xn)1/n<b)=1\lim_{n\to \infty} Pr(a <(X_1X_2...X_n)^{1/n} < b) = 1 iff a<Δ<b a< \Delta <b
Problem 481*

Show that the series

n1ln(n+1n)\displaystyle\sum _{n\geq1} \ln(\dfrac{n+1}{n})

Is divergent, even though

limnln(n+1n)=0\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln(\dfrac{n+1}{n}) = 0
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arieisit
Problem 481*/**

Show that the series

n1ln(n+1n)\displaystyle\sum _{n\geq1} \ln(\dfrac{n+1}{n})

Is divergent, even though

limnln(n+1n)=0\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \ln(\dfrac{n+1}{n}) = 0

Spoiler

Original post by PAPADAPADOPOLOUS
If we know that pie is irrational.

how do I prove via contradiction that pie ^2 or pie^3 is also irrational?

You cannot deduce that just from pi being irrational (e.g. square root of 2 is irrational but rational when squared). You could use it being transendental though.
Original post by PAPADAPADOPOLOUS
If we know that pie is irrational.

how do I prove via contradiction that pie ^2 or pie^3 is also irrational?

Suppose not: both π2,π3\pi^2, \pi^3 is rational. Then what can you say about π3π2\frac{\pi^3}{\pi^2}?
Reply 2939
Suppose not: both π2,π3\pi^2, \pi^3 is rational. Then what can you say about π3π2\frac{\pi^3}{\pi^2}?

Surely if π2\pi^2 is rational then π3\pi^3 is irrational?

Quick Reply

Latest