The Student Room Group

Is exam solutions really that good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kandykissesxox
Thanks:smile: at the moment, I'm using an edexcel persons book, my maths and exam solutions

These are ok if they work for you at present.

However you might need more resources as you become better and as you get closer to exams.
For instance past papers for some people are not enough (around 20 if you count the recent internationals)
Some students need to find more practice papers or exam question worksheets to top up.

I have come across students that have done over 60 C1 papers by the time they do the exam!
Original post by TeeEm

However you might need more resources as you become better and as you get closer to exams.
For instance past papers for some people are not enough (around 20 if you count the recent internationals)
Some students need to find more practice papers or exam question worksheets to top up.

I have come across students that have done over 60 C1 papers by the time they do the exam!

what would your recommend students to use ( i.e resources) for c3 at the moment?
Original post by Mr M
Many here think it is a panacea. Mind you some people rave about Khan Academy too.

I may have misdetected a sarcastic/ ironic undertone in your comment, but the fact that both sides promote access to free education, which, crucially, you can consume at your own pace, is highly commendable.

Indeed, I am thinking about starting a similar such site for some humanities subjects, who at this point in time do not have the wealth of online educational resources as STEM does.
Original post by TeeEm

I've seen you say this before but it seems totally unnecessary. I've taught plenty of students who have achieved full marks on each module without doing every past paper. I've never met anyone who needed to sit 60 papers in preparation for Core 1!
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
I may have misdetected a sarcastic/ ironic undertone in your comment, but the fact that both sides promote access to free education, which, crucially, you can consume at your own pace, is highly commendable.

Indeed, I am thinking about starting a similar such site for some humanities subjects, who at this point in time do not have the wealth of online educational resources as STEM does.

Both the sites mentioned are good

Some students become over-reliant on them - obsessing on solutions rather than understanding

We in Maths have many many sites that provide answers for students and they certainly can add to their education but, imo, are not the stand alone resource that some people think they are

I don't think the quality of the Khan resource merits the worldwide reputation (and the millions of £) that his site has attracted. I've only looked at a couple of Exam Solutions videos but they seem fine. Good luck with your project.
Original post by Mr M
I've seen you say this before but it seems totally unnecessary. I've taught plenty of students who have achieved full marks on each module without doing every past paper. I've never met anyone who needed to sit 60 papers in preparation for Core 1!

We both know students who believe that just doing lots of past papers will be the answer - little do they realise that they are only of use if they provide prompts for revision
Reply 27
Original post by games211
what would your recommend students to use ( i.e resources) for c3 at the moment?

depends on your productivity.

If you are talking about papers

My students will go through
SOLOMON x12
IYGB x 12-16
ACTUAL around 20

for C4
SOLOMON x12
IYGB x 8
ACTUAL around 20

If you are talking about free-standing questions by topic

I use my own booklets, which I personally believe there are the best around I guess because I know them inside out as they are mine.
Yes.
Original post by Mr M
I don't think the quality of the Khan resource merits the worldwide reputation (and the millions of £) that his site has attracted. I've only looked at a couple of Exam Solutions videos but they seem fine. Good luck with your project.

I think it is more of the fact that it makes it much easier for students in less economically developed countries, and with access to teachers much less qualified and competent than, say, yourself, that gives it the reputation, and the funding from Mr Gates.

Of course, it will never rival a 1 on 1 experience with a teacher, but most students in school rarely get that anyway.

Perhaps, in regards to the school curriculum (there are many misc. vids on there which are interesting in their own right - eg. economics), the true value lies in its use as a consolidation tool.

Thanks for the good luck
Reply 30
Original post by Mr M

I would not totally disagree.
I believe in high volume, rightly or wrongly, because this is how I learned myself.
(I am a rote learner).
After 27 years of teaching I am not prepared to experiment with my teaching techniques!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
depends on your productivity.

If you are talking about papers

My students will go through
SOLOMON x12
IYGB x 12-16
ACTUAL around 20

for C4
SOLOMON x12
IYGB x 8
ACTUAL around 20

If you are talking about free-standing questions by topic

I use my own booklets, which I personally believe there are the best around I guess because I know them inside out as they are mine.

What's the best book to learn from?
Original post by TenOfThem
Both the sites mentioned are good

Some students become over-reliant on them - obsessing on solutions rather than understanding

We in Maths have many many sites that provide answers for students and they certainly can add to their education but, imo, are not the stand alone resource that some people think they are

I don't think anyone claims them as a standalone resource - but they have several virtues which a school environment does not, which I'm sure are obvious.

And I think the guy behind exam solutions does a good job in promoting understanding, especially when helping students visualize algebra graphically. Although I am now at university, the site in its early form manifestly helped me with some more niche topics.
Original post by TeeEm
I believe in high volume, rightly or wrongly, because this is how I learned myself.
(I am a rote learner).
After 27 years of teaching I am not prepared to experiment with my teaching techniques!

Don't your students plateau when they reach double figures? I'm not convinced this is the most effective use of their time (although I approve of you working them hard).
I don't think anyone claims them as a standalone resource -

Sadly, that is not the case
Original post by TeeEm
(I am a rote learner).

Wow - after 30 years of teaching I am regularly experimenting with my teaching technique
Reply 36
Original post by games211
What's the best book to learn from?

I have not used books for almost 20 years.

If I was pushed to recommend it would have to be the classic 4 bostock and Chandler of the late 70s
(blue and brown for pure)
(orange and green for mechanics)

These books are too hard for the current generation of students.
Original post by TeeEm
I have not used books for almost 20 years.

If I was pushed to recommend it would have to be the classic 4 bostock and Chandler of the late 70s
(blue and brown for pure)
(orange and green for mechanics)

These books are too hard for the current generation of students.

So do you teach via worksheets?
Original post by TenOfThem
Sadly, that is not the case

Fair enough, but don't let that colour your view of the site or the implicit assumption in that belief that this site is equivalent to a teacher.
Reply 39
Original post by Mr M
Don't your students plateau when they reach double figures? I'm not convinced this is the most effective use of their time (although I approve of you working them hard).

they do but I feel secure so do they.

Quick Reply