The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2015 Entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MathsNerd1
Hey guys, I'm currently a second year Maths student on the MMath course, so if you have any questions then please feel free to ask me. :smile:

Hi, nice to meet you! I have loads of questions :P

How do you find the city? I only had time to visit the campus and so didn't really see much of Nottingham itself!
Is the teaching good? Do you get a lot of support?
What sort of things do you get outside of lectures? Is there a lot of reading involved?
Where did you rank the uni when you applied? (firm or insurance?)
What grades did you apply with and what was your offer? Do you know if there were people who got into the course with lower grades than advertised on the website? In other words, were there anybody who came in through Clearing or something and you thought "how on earth did they get in?"
Any modules that you particularly like/that are unique to Nottingham?
What do you plan to do after your MMath course? :smile:

Sorry for the question overload! Have a nice day :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Got an unconditional offer for English:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by cucaracha
So I got an email from Notts a few hours ago offering an unconditional if I firm! No update on Track though
Bet you'll hear soon :smile:

Congratulations!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aislingsheehy

Congratulations! When did you receive the email?
Original post by IHTWFR
Congratulations! When did they receive your application?

Thank you! On the 16th, so they took about 2 weeks
Original post by aislingsheehy

Based on just AS grades? Aren't these being scrapped soon for being too easy?

I got an offer of ABB on Monday. I applied on the 14th x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lightningdoritos
Hi, nice to meet you! I have loads of questions :P

1) How do you find the city? I only had time to visit the campus and so didn't really see much of Nottingham itself!
2) Is the teaching good? 3) Do you get a lot of support?
4) What sort of things do you get outside of lectures? 5) Is there a lot of reading involved?
6) Where did you rank the uni when you applied? (firm or insurance?)
7) What grades did you apply with and what was your offer? 8) Do you know if there were people who got into the course with lower grades than advertised on the website? In other words, were there anybody who came in through Clearing or something and you thought "how on earth did they get in?"
9) Any modules that you particularly like/that are unique to Nottingham?
10) What do you plan to do after your MMath course? :smile:

Sorry for the question overload! Have a nice day :smile:

Don't worry about the large amount of questions as I'm happy to answer them :smile: I'll number you questions going in order and give my response that way as I think it will be more logical and easier to understand. So here we go!

1) The city is fantastic and has something to offer to everyone, so if you're like me and prefer different things to do except nightclubbing then there is a vast range of theatres, cinemas, a few museums and other things to please everyone. If you're into the touristy things then you've got the whole robin hood thing going on, there's the oldest pub in Britain there too, plus you could always explore the Nottingham caves. Now if you are into the clubbing scene then the nightlife is very good with plenty of bars and clubs open every night and discounted rates for drink on certain nights depending where you are, so there literally is something for everyone. :smile:

2) I would say that people's opinion will vary on this question, but for myself, I find the teaching to be of very high calibre. There are a few lecturers that speak in such a monotone way that it might put you to sleep, however the content that is being covered is very interesting and there is also some fantastic lecturers about too, some of which you'll get to meet during first year!

3) There is a lot of support offered for first year students, whether this be tailored drop in sessions, which will help to break down the difficult concepts being introduced or PhD helpers that are available during all the problem classes you'll have assigned. If these aren't enough then each lecturer will also have their office hours available, so just pop by and they'll be happy to help you with whatever you're stuck on.

4) What do you mean by this question? Do you mean work or extra things that the university has to offer?

5) That really depends on how keen you are, the lecture notes that you'll be provided with for each module will be more than sufficient to help you pass the exams, however if you're interested in a particular concept and want to see the extensions from that concept then you can find a book in the library and do some extra reading, but this isn't required to pass the modules.

6) For me Nottingham was ranked as my insurance with Warwick being my firm choice, however I'm not bitter about missing the grades for Warwick because Nottingham has so much to offer me and if I went to Warwick I don't think I would have the same opportunities.

7) I applied with AACU in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively and my offer was A*AB where the A* was in Maths and the A in Further Maths.

8) There are a few, however this will vary depending on the strength of the years cohort, so don't rely on getting in with lower grades than required, however I imagine you've got a pretty high chance of getting in if you just slightly missed the offer.

9) Well since Maths is quite a universal subject, it's quite hard for modules to be unique to a particular university, just because everywhere, in the top universities, will cover the same content just in a different way. A few modules I did enjoy in first year were ACF - Analytical and Computational Foundations, CAL - Calculus and MSS - Mathematical Structures. I'm now currently enjoying my Vector Calculus module and next semester there are some modules called Complex Functions and Differential Equations and Fourier Analysis which both sound super exciting!

10) I'm currently looking into a career in Investment Banking, specifically Trading or Structuring.

I hope this answers all the questions and if you have any more then please feel free to ask. :smile:
Original post by IHTWFR
Congratulations! When did you receive the email?

I got it yesterday which was about 18 days after I applied:smile:
Anyone had an offer for law yet?
Don't worry about the large amount of questions as I'm happy to answer them :smile: I'll number you questions going in order and give my response that way as I think it will be more logical and easier to understand. So here we go!

1) The city is fantastic and has something to offer to everyone, so if you're like me and prefer different things to do except nightclubbing then there is a vast range of theatres, cinemas, a few museums and other things to please everyone. If you're into the touristy things then you've got the whole robin hood thing going on, there's the oldest pub in Britain there too, plus you could always explore the Nottingham caves. Now if you are into the clubbing scene then the nightlife is very good with plenty of bars and clubs open every night and discounted rates for drink on certain nights depending where you are, so there literally is something for everyone. :smile:

2) I would say that people's opinion will vary on this question, but for myself, I find the teaching to be of very high calibre. There are a few lecturers that speak in such a monotone way that it might put you to sleep, however the content that is being covered is very interesting and there is also some fantastic lecturers about too, some of which you'll get to meet during first year!

3) There is a lot of support offered for first year students, whether this be tailored drop in sessions, which will help to break down the difficult concepts being introduced or PhD helpers that are available during all the problem classes you'll have assigned. If these aren't enough then each lecturer will also have their office hours available, so just pop by and they'll be happy to help you with whatever you're stuck on.

4) What do you mean by this question? Do you mean work or extra things that the university has to offer?

5) That really depends on how keen you are, the lecture notes that you'll be provided with for each module will be more than sufficient to help you pass the exams, however if you're interested in a particular concept and want to see the extensions from that concept then you can find a book in the library and do some extra reading, but this isn't required to pass the modules.

6) For me Nottingham was ranked as my insurance with Warwick being my firm choice, however I'm not bitter about missing the grades for Warwick because Nottingham has so much to offer me and if I went to Warwick I don't think I would have the same opportunities.

7) I applied with AACU in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively and my offer was A*AB where the A* was in Maths and the A in Further Maths.

8) There are a few, however this will vary depending on the strength of the years cohort, so don't rely on getting in with lower grades than required, however I imagine you've got a pretty high chance of getting in if you just slightly missed the offer.

9) Well since Maths is quite a universal subject, it's quite hard for modules to be unique to a particular university, just because everywhere, in the top universities, will cover the same content just in a different way. A few modules I did enjoy in first year were ACF - Analytical and Computational Foundations, CAL - Calculus and MSS - Mathematical Structures. I'm now currently enjoying my Vector Calculus module and next semester there are some modules called Complex Functions and Differential Equations and Fourier Analysis which both sound super exciting!

10) I'm currently looking into a career in Investment Banking, specifically Trading or Structuring.

I hope this answers all the questions and if you have any more then please feel free to ask. :smile:

Wow thank you so much!

And for question 4 I just meant do you get 'homework' or do you just have to find your own questions to do for practice? :smile:

Also, do you know if Nottingham offer placement years? I think usually it's in second year but apparently Nottingham don't offer any?

Wow well I don't think I'll ever have any unanswered questions now!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow thank you so much!

And for question 4 I just meant do you get 'homework' or do you just have to find your own questions to do for practice? :smile:

Also, do you know if Nottingham offer placement years? I think usually it's in second year but apparently Nottingham don't offer any?

Okay, well you can take my answer two different ways, but I'm not going to hide the fact that there is a lot of work, pretty much all the time. The way I see it is I can constantly evaluate my level and any progress I make, plus it means that the lecturers want you to succeed. What won't be done is getting in trouble for not doing the work, because at the end of the day it's your degree and it's down to you to put the work in to do well. I know from my own experience that you can get away without doing some of the work and still doing well, but that all really depends on how well you understand the concepts when they're being explained. I know a friend of mine that really struggled to grasp some things that came instantly to me, so yeah, it's all dependant on how easily you pick it up, but if you do all the work then you're guaranteed to pass the year. I don't think I've met anyone who didn't pass if they put the work in.

And relating to your second question, for just straight Maths, or any Maths course in general will not have placement years, personally I wouldn't see the appeal in one as you'd be away from the Maths for too long that when you do return then it would be like relearning the whole year again before starting new stuff. What the university does offer is either a full year abroad, which you'd have to apply for through UCAS, or a semester abroad during your course. If you still want to do a placement then you can always apply for a spring week programme during your first year, which if you do well in then you'll be fast tracked into the summer internship the next year on. Plus there are plenty of opportunities to gain experience through volunteering, I am currently tutoring GCSE students, helping out refugees, assisting with the young enterprise scheme, learning Italian via evening classes and hopefully going to Italy over the summer for a 6 week volunteering programme. So the university has a tonne of things for you to do and there's pretty much something for everyone.

Glad I have been able to answer all your questions, but if you think of more then just let me know. :smile:

Original post by Jessb_3125
Wow well I don't think I'll ever have any unanswered questions now!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, but I can imagine you'll think of some soon and if you do then I'm always happy to answer them. :yep:
Okay, well you can take my answer two different ways, but I'm not going to hide the fact that there is a lot of work, pretty much all the time. The way I see it is I can constantly evaluate my level and any progress I make, plus it means that the lecturers want you to succeed. What won't be done is getting in trouble for not doing the work, because at the end of the day it's your degree and it's down to you to put the work in to do well. I know from my own experience that you can get away without doing some of the work and still doing well, but that all really depends on how well you understand the concepts when they're being explained. I know a friend of mine that really struggled to grasp some things that came instantly to me, so yeah, it's all dependant on how easily you pick it up, but if you do all the work then you're guaranteed to pass the year. I don't think I've met anyone who didn't pass if they put the work in.

And relating to your second question, for just straight Maths, or any Maths course in general will not have placement years, personally I wouldn't see the appeal in one as you'd be away from the Maths for too long that when you do return then it would be like relearning the whole year again before starting new stuff. What the university does offer is either a full year abroad, which you'd have to apply for through UCAS, or a semester abroad during your course. If you still want to do a placement then you can always apply for a spring week programme during your first year, which if you do well in then you'll be fast tracked into the summer internship the next year on. Plus there are plenty of opportunities to gain experience through volunteering, I am currently tutoring GCSE students, helping out refugees, assisting with the young enterprise scheme, learning Italian via evening classes and hopefully going to Italy over the summer for a 6 week volunteering programme. So the university has a tonne of things for you to do and there's pretty much something for everyone.

Glad I have been able to answer all your questions, but if you think of more then just let me know. :smile:

Thanks, but I can imagine you'll think of some soon and if you do then I'm always happy to answer them. :yep:

I see, well I don't usually understand things straight away so I'll probably need to work way more than other people :smile:

And that's cool, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I just thought it would be nice to have a bit of work experience and stuff for after uni, oh well I suppose I could always do a summer internship! :P

Anyway, thanks for all the long answers! :smile:
Original post by Devran22
Anyone got an offer from mechanical engineering department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
I see, well I don't usually understand things straight away so I'll probably need to work way more than other people :smile:

And that's cool, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I just thought it would be nice to have a bit of work experience and stuff for after uni, oh well I suppose I could always do a summer internship! :P

Anyway, thanks for all the long answers! :smile:

Well you won't be at a disadvantage if you put in the extra work because normally the ones who go over it quickly miss out all the intricate details, it's what stopped me from getting in the 90's for 2 of my exams, so in this case slow and steady wins the race, but it's always good to be pretty fast in the exam as you're limited by the time you have. :smile:

I see what you mean but that's literally the point of doing summer internships, I'm not sure companies are very willing to have students employed for a whole year and if you went into a job you didn't like then you'd be stuck with that job for the rest of the year. With summer internships it's only 8-10 weeks long, you get exposure to the whole company and any clients they might have, depending on your program and afterwards you could be offered a job, so in my mind it's got all the positive points of the placement year, just without the huge amount of time away from your subject. Just a win win situation if you ask me. :yep:
Reply 236
I just got an AAA offer for Economics! :biggrin:
Reply 237
Original post by AMDD
I just got an AAA offer for Economics! :biggrin:

Congrats! When did you submit your application? And what are your grades etc if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 238
Original post by Nikmali
Congrats! When did you submit your application? And what are your grades etc if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not! I submitted on the 14th so it took around 2 weeks for their reply.
I got 4A* 4A 1B for GCSEs and AAAB for AS A*A*A prediction :smile:
Has anyone had an offer for biology yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending