The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Yeah that's odd. Was it a past paper or one from a practise book? I've found the latter occasionally have errors.
Original post by ventus
Yeah that's odd. Was it a past paper or one from a practise book? I've found the latter occasionally have errors.

The practice book I have also has some mistakes :frown: and some of the questions are not as clear as the actual TSA questions.
Original post by ventus

Original post by anonwinner
The practice book I have also has some mistakes :frown: and some of the questions are not as clear as the actual TSA questions.

I found it on one of the old Thinking Skills AS-Level exams.
Quick question:
I thought it was E, but why is it D?? Is it because it should be at least 4.5 m tall
Original post by Mountainwolf
Quick question:
I thought it was E, but why is it D?? Is it because it should be at least 4.5 m tall

This question has usually confused me. I think the fact that the block of flats is beside the person's home as compared to the bungalow which is 30m beyond the person's garden does play a role. What do you think?
Original post by Mountainwolf
Quick question:

A 1.6m tree covers a 7m tall bungalow that is 30m away.

Another building next to the bungalow is 20m tall, this is roughly 3 times the height of the 7m tall bungalow (7x3=21). So you simply multiply 1.6 by 3, which comes to 4.8. So the answer is D Hornbeam.
Original post by sjulia730
Is anyone on here willing to offer some constructive criticism on my essay? It's one of my first, so I'm not quite sure if what I'm doing is along the right lines or not! Any pointers on grammar/writing style/structure would also be appreciated :smile:

"Could a robot ever think like a human?" - TSA 2012

One could argue that the irrationality which riddles the human thought process is a characteristic unique to human thought. However, there have been attempts at modelling this human irrationality within computer programmes, in order to advance developments in behavioural game theory. The large extent to which the computers emulate this irrationality accurately could be used to argue that robots too can think irrationally, just like humans. There is a flaw in this argument. The modelling of this irrationality in computer programmes is entirely dependant on correction factors: numbers that indicate how often the computer should deviate from the rational 'rules' which have been laid out for it. These correction factors do not convincingly create irrationality; even though they may emulate results similar to those obtained from irrational human thought, the fact that these factors themselves set up rules for how the computer is meant to think entirely contradicts the concept of irrationality.

Furthermore, the human thought process is often influenced by emotions. Therefore, to question whether a robot could ever think like a human is to question whether a robot could ever experience emotion. Following substantial research within psychology into emotion, it has been concluded that emotion is a result of a combination of social constructs and biological changes. Since a robot could never experience either of these, one could conclude that a robot can never experience emotion and consequently never think like a human.

However, some may argue that it is in fact impossible to pinpoint a specific way in which all human beings think. Therefore, the more useful questions to ask when considering whether a robot could every think like a human are those which discuss whether a robot could ever emulate the power of the human brain. Computers have already been developed to emulate the brain power of several brain cells, and due to the large technological advances we are sure to make in the future, it could be extrapolated that one day we will be able to create a computer that is as powerful as a human brain. Therefore, one day robots will be able to think 'like a human' as they will possess control over similar levels of 'brain power' which they can use in any way they choose to create thought, just like a human being does presently.

Thus it could be possible for a robot to think like a human, depending on how we approach the definition of human thought. If our definition relies wholly on the brain power that generates thought, then it is possible that one day a robot will possess the same intellectual capacity as a human and so have access to just as many different possible methods of thought as a human. However, if we define human thought through factors that influence it, such as irrationality and emotion, then we quickly come to the conclusion that robots will never be able to think as humans do, as they cannot be influenced by the same defining factors.

Very nice essay. I suggest to give your own opinion, if you would like it or not...

What is your mother tongue?
Original post by anonwinner
A 1.6m tree covers a 7m tall bungalow that is 30m away.

Another building next to the bungalow is 20m tall, this is roughly 3 times the height of the 7m tall bungalow (7x3=21). So you simply multiply 1.6 by 3, which comes to 4.8. So the answer is D Hornbeam.

That is essentially ratios, isn't it?
Good luck for Wednesday, guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do people find that it gets harder later on in the test?

If so would be it bw best to finish the easy q's first and see how much you can push yourself on the harder ones later on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone else think that the TSA 2013 paper is the hardest of them all?
Is there aa
Is there a way to work out your actual score from your raw marks when you do past papers?
Original post by oluwabob
Is there a way to work out your actual score from your raw marks when you do past papers?

Yh if you go on the oxford testing site then onto past papers they have a score converter for each year. A score of 60 tends to be around 30 out of 50 in the paper but I've seen in some years this can be higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haiderraider
Does anyone else think that the TSA 2013 paper is the hardest of them all?

yes defo
Reply 435
This thread has made me so nervous.My scores have been: 62.9, 65.9, 66.5, 63.9 and 37/50 in the specimen paper. Should I be aiming higher for PPE
Reply 436
Hi

I'm having trouble with question 48 on the 2010 paper.

The question is-

48 The ferry from Harport to Selmer is at sea for 1 hour 15 minutes and at its berth at either
end for 30 minutes. The hovercraft service between the same ports takes only 45 minutes
and is berthed for 15 minutes before returning.
If both leave Harport at 08:00 what is the next time they will both be at the same port
together?
A 09:45
B 12:45
C 14:45
D 15:00
E 18:00

Could someone please explain the method to me?

Appreciate any help given :smile:
Hi guys, I am applying to E n M at Oxford(Merton). I was just wondering what kind of preparation did you guys do so far for the upcoming TSA?
Original post by KHJ1
This thread has made me so nervous.My scores have been: 62.9, 65.9, 66.5, 63.9 and 37/50 in the specimen paper. Should I be aiming higher for PPE

Don't be, you know that is more than enough to get an interview at least. Plus, people only come on here to boast and even when they do that they often exaggerate. Also remember that 1600 people apply for PPE as well, so a few people doing really well is only a drop in the water, a lot of people getting in the 40s and 50s wont say a thing
Original post by economicsrocks
This one is really tricky but I'll try and explain it here:
You basically have to draw out what each route looks like, then follow the path and see if it's the shortest or not. The paths I got were:
C B X A
B C X A
B C A X
C X B A
X A B C

If you follow the route provided, you will see the shortest way around a, b, d, and e is the route shown (it might help if you draw arrows above the letters and follow the route). With C, however, the route goes right, then left, then further left then right again. This is not the shortest route, therefore the answer is C.

Hopefully this made sense, although I don't think I explained it very well! Let me know if you need further clarification :smile:

Sorry I don't quite understand the method above. Could you provide any further clarification. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending