The Student Room Group

Is Being a Vegan/Vegetarian Healthier?

If you eat a vegan or vegetarian diet and get enough protein, then is that still healthier than a normal healthy balanced diet where you get enough fruit/vegetables?

A friend of mine (hipster vegetarian guy) says that animal sources of protein are unhealthier, not sheriff srs though.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Short answer - no

Long answer - 2-3 lots of red meat as a max and it's all good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Angry cucumber
Short answer - no

Long answer - 2-3 lots of red meat as a max and it's all good

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing that's per week?

Is red meat the only thing "less healthy" about a non-veggie diet, then?
Original post by BreakingBadx
I'm guessing that's per week?

Is red meat the only thing "less healthy" about a non-veggie diet, then?

That's the guidelines for a week

It's everything in moderation. Eat plenty of fibre (fruit, veg, pulses etc), protein and you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No, I'm vegan (lifelong vegetarian) and people who are vegan/veggie for healthy reasons are annoying. Often when people go vegan they cut out processed crap so are eating healthier in a way but their diets tend to lack variety and protein. These sorts often don't last long then go around claiming being vegan makes you feel ****.

In reality vegan junk food exists and vegans tend to have different health things to watch but there's no better for health either way. I know a vegan who's competitive in strength sports who had cholesterol issues because he lived on take away. My sister is vegan and properly huge fat, she lives on ice cream, chips, cake and potato. The healthy vegan thing is an unhelpful myth from the perspective of wanting more people to be vegan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm a vegan, and yes, I feel like since I've switched over I have been a lot more healthy.

I lost 15 kg just from changing my diet, and fortunately when you go vegan, you cut out most of the junk food -
Burgers, chocolate, pizza, doughnuts etc.

My diet can include fruits/veggies, pasta( with sauce and an alternative to cheese), humous, falafels, vegan bars (nakd- if you've heard of it), and lots of nuts/ grains.
I get my protein from eating lots of nuts and seed like cashews and almonds and quinoa seeds.
Also godji berries have loads of proteins in them!!!

Of course, I'm not saying vegan lifestyle is healthier OVERALL, but it has been good for me. I'm not even vegan because of it( more about the moral issues)

So I'm not telling people that being a vegan is healthier, just that it has made ME healthier. Because yes, there are unhealthy ways you can be a vegan.
Reply 6
Original post by emy-n
Burgers, chocolate, pizza, doughnuts etc.

I have burgers and chocolate most days, pizza (which vegan cheese) most week and doughnuts (from the coop) a few times a week. I'm not saying you can't be a healthy vegan, by all means you can. But there is nothing inherently more healthy about being vegan and I don't think continuing that myth is healthful because it sets a lot of people up for disappointment in being vegan.
Reply 7
Original post by BKS
I have burgers and chocolate most days, pizza (which vegan cheese) most week and doughnuts (from the coop) a few times a week. I'm not saying you can't be a healthy vegan, by all means you can. But there is nothing inherently more healthy about being vegan and I don't think continuing that myth is healthful because it sets a lot of people up for disappointment in being vegan.

Okay, I'm really confused about how you can eat chocolate and doughnuts???
Unless its that 100% dark chocolate.... But you do realise that doughnuts have milk and egg white in them?

It's not really a myth that it can make you healthier. It's simply that a lot of the things you eat in a vegan diet are mostly raw, rather than all the processed crap you find in normal meals.
And cutting out meat - even dairy - has helped out loads of people. A girl I know stopped eating dairy after being a vegetarian for a few years and she had eczema which simply went away.

Despite this, I don't think anyone goes vegan because of rumours that it's "healthier". That would be kind of stupid seeing as something which works for one person might not work with another (like most diets).

Most (if not all) vegans I know do it because they care about the way animals are treated and don't want to take part in it.
Original post by BreakingBadx
If you eat a vegan or vegetarian diet and get enough protein, then is that still healthier than a normal healthy balanced diet where you get enough fruit/vegetables?

A friend of mine (hipster vegetarian guy) says that animal sources of protein are unhealthier, not sheriff srs though.

Depends. People tend to eat too much meat these days and still claim to have a balanced diet. You shouldn't eat meat every day.
Not getting enough protein is also unhealthy though. But there are plenty of vegetarian protein sources out there.
Not so sure about veganism tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by emy-n
Okay, I'm really confused about how you can eat chocolate and doughnuts???
Unless its that 100% dark chocolate.... But you do realise that doughnuts have milk and egg white in them?

It's not really a myth that it can make you healthier. It's simply that a lot of the things you eat in a vegan diet are mostly raw, rather than all the processed crap you find in normal meals.
And cutting out meat - even dairy - has helped out loads of people. A girl I know stopped eating dairy after being a vegetarian for a few years and she had eczema which simply went away.

Despite this, I don't think anyone goes vegan because of rumours that it's "healthier". That would be kind of stupid seeing as something which works for one person might not work with another (like most diets).

Most (if not all) vegans I know do it because they care about the way animals are treated and don't want to take part in it.

Yes. Do you know there's even dairy free milk chocolate buttons these days? I prefer dark chocolate though, I just had some melted over ice cream (no, not sorbet and I bought it in asda). There's lots of accidentally vegan food out (like the doughnuts, also their apple pies and several brands of mince pies this time of year) as well as stuff made with vegans in mind.

I don't claim to be an expert in many things but I think I am in unhealthy vegan food.
I'm not convinced. Vegetarians and vegans tend to be more health conscious than the average person - they're prepared to make what can be a big lifestyle change, so they must be health conscious. Very few of them smoke or drink excessively, and they often cut out or reduce junk food.

Meat eaters, on the other hand, includes "everyone else" - it includes the slob who sits in front of the TV all day eating beef burgers as well as those who avoid processed meat and who regularly exercise. That's why some studies suggest vegetarians are healthier on average - if you compare a health conscious group to the average of course there'll be a difference. But correlation does not mean causation.

A lot of the people who claim that "going vegetarian really improved my health" could have easily achieved the same health benefits on a meat diet - cutting out high fat and processed meats, for example, and not eating too much meat. It isn't cutting out meat that brings those benefits, it's the balanced diet and plenty of exercise.
Reply 11
Original post by BKS
Yes. Do you know there's even dairy free milk chocolate buttons these days? I prefer dark chocolate though, I just had some melted over ice cream (no, not sorbet and I bought it in asda). There's lots of accidentally vegan food out (like the doughnuts, also their apple pies and several brands of mince pies this time of year) as well as stuff made with vegans in mind.

I don't claim to be an expert in many things but I think I am in unhealthy vegan food.

Thats cool!
Sorry to ask, but if you're not a vegan because of the health side, what made you decide to become one. Just curious :biggrin:
No.

Now, processed meat is bad for you. Eating large amounts of vegetables is very good for you. So a vegetarian diet does have some advantages over an average diet. But you simply do not need to cut out meat to get those benefits of a vegetarian diet.

Fresh meat, eggs and fish are high quality, nutrient-dense sources of protein and many essential vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent part of a healthy diet. Which is, of course, why the vast majority of professional athletes eat meat.
Reply 13
Original post by emy-n
Thats cool!
Sorry to ask, but if you're not a vegan because of the health side, what made you decide to become one. Just curious :biggrin:

Short version, ethics.

I think right and wrong is all about the well being and harm caused (bearing in mind intentionality). So I think the right way to live your life is to do your best to minimise the harm you cause (bearing in mind the human need to survive and have a certain standard of living). The question is then whether that could be extended to non-human animals and I just can't think of a good reason not to. There is no argument that consumption or use of animal products doesn't cause harm and to me the experience of that harm (based on the animals cognitive abilities) isn't relevant. It does me no harm to be vegan, it's not difficult (with a bit of practice) so I can't justify not being vegan.

While that does in practice make me vegan, I don't always identify as vegan in terms of philosophy because I have no problem with freegans or eating road kill and stuff like that. Though I choose not to ever eat animal products because I've never ate meat, I'm allergic to eggs and 8 years of none to practically no dairy as made me very lactose intolerant. But I will do things like wear animal skin if they come from a charity shop.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
It depends. You can eat very healthily either way, but if we're comparing the average meat-eating diet with the average vegetarian diet, I would say the vegetarian diet was the healthier of the two. Having said that, vegetarians are on average more health and nutrition conscious, so that result could be expected. It's very difficult to compare the health of vegetarians and meat-eaters when having to control for so many additional factors that tend to segregate the two groups (propensity to buy organic, amount of exercise, lifestyle, economic class, etc.)

Also to be considered is that most Westerners eat more meat than is necessary or optimally healthy. I think that most health issues are a matter of moderation - abstinence from meat is just more likely to be healthier than over-indulgence in meat and the products containing it.

Personally I'm not vegetarian for health reasons - even if it was less healthy than eating meat I'd be vegetarian, since I don't support the unnecessary killing of animals, which in my view is the principal problem at stake.
'Healthy'-Maybe, especially if you start raking in dem veggies rather than dat cheeky doner kebab amirite

Lean-ONLY if you get in dem smexy alternative proteen sauces (srs)

Otherwise well, let's not beat around the bush...potato diets make you fat, skinny fat at best (inb4 successful cut on no protein potato fast)
A vegetarian diet is not the healthiest diet you can have, the Mediterranean Diet is regarded as being the healthiest in the world and contains plenty of fish and some meat.

However, a plant heavy vegetarian diet (as opposed to chocolate and pizza - technically vegetarian) is by far healthier than the average UK diet which contains far too many calories (not a problem eating leaves), far too much sugar (possible with fructose but who eats 20 apples), too much saturated fat (no vegetable to my knowledge contains trans-fats) and too much salt (not a problem).

So yes, the odds are that that going vegetarian will make you healthier but that's relative to an average UK diet.
There are pros and cons, just like anything else. Yes, when it comes to things like fat intake, being a vegan has its benefits. But meat protein being healthier than that from pulses and such like is wrong, as far as I know.
Original post by XMaramena
There are pros and cons, just like anything else. Yes, when it comes to things like fat intake, being a vegan has its benefits. But meat protein being healthier than that from pulses and such like is wrong, as far as I know.

Many vegetarians do still drink dairy for protein and potentially eggs. With regards to meat protein versus legumes i think the difference is that meat protein contains all amino acids while legumes do not. That's easily rectified though if you have more than one kind of veg and just take care to know what is in what.

Quick Reply

Latest