The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE math?

I'm in year 11 right now, and we're doing our mock exams soon (can't be certain). I'm in the second highest math group because in year 9, I found it all really easy and just spent every lesson on Facebook and got all A's and A*'s without revising.
But then in year 10 I got put in set 2, and set 1 and set 2 classes do IGCSE extended maths as well as Additional Maths.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I was only good at algebra and so started actually studying for tests, but I always get B's and C's, even if I try really hard. Unless it's algebra related, in which case I usually get over 90%.

The lowest grade I've ever gotten is a D when I got 49% in trigonometry. I actually tried really hard.

I'm also really good at mental arithmetic and the non calc papers. It's usually on the calc papers where I screw up.

I don't really know if there's something wrong with my brain which makes it switch off whenever algebra isn't involved.

Anyone else in my situation? What did you do about it? My main areas of concern are trigonometry, geometry, probability, inverse variations and sets.

They expect everyone in our class to do Higher Level Maths in IB, so I'm really worried

Thanks!
Past papers
Practice questions
Past papers
Practice questions
Past papers
Practice questions

If you can't do a question - get your teacher to explain it.

This is how you get an A*
Been there
Done it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chanmartin82
I'm in year 11 right now, and we're doing our mock exams soon (can't be certain). I'm in the second highest math group because in year 9, I found it all really easy and just spent every lesson on Facebook and got all A's and A*'s without revising.
But then in year 10 I got put in set 2, and set 1 and set 2 classes do IGCSE extended maths as well as Additional Maths.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I was only good at algebra and so started actually studying for tests, but I always get B's and C's, even if I try really hard. Unless it's algebra related, in which case I usually get over 90%.

The lowest grade I've ever gotten is a D when I got 49% in trigonometry. I actually tried really hard.

I'm also really good at mental arithmetic and the non calc papers. It's usually on the calc papers where I screw up.

I don't really know if there's something wrong with my brain which makes it switch off whenever algebra isn't involved.

Anyone else in my situation? What did you do about it? My main areas of concern are trigonometry, geometry, probability, inverse variations and sets.

They expect everyone in our class to do Higher Level Maths in IB, so I'm really worried

Thanks!

try harder and practice. What about trig,etc do you not get?
I have problems with remembering the formulae, applying sin, cosine and tangent, and bearings for trig
Original post by chanmartin82
I have problems with remembering the formulae, applying sin, cosine and tangent, and bearings for trig

Practice - A LOT
Reply 5
A good way of remembering it is to use SOH CAH TOA and always write this down when you see a trig question it is a good habit to get into, SOH standing for sine=opposite length over hypotenuse length and so on, CAH standing for cosine=adjacvent length over hypotenuse. i am not sure if you can already label the triangles correctly? if you can this can really help let me know if you want more help or this topic area

Quick Reply

Latest