The Student Room Group

Reputation of Uni of Manchester (Physics/Astrophysics)

How does Manchester's reputation compare with other universities like say Imperial/UCL/Durham?
And how is a physics degree from this universitity perceived by employers in the UK and worldwide (is it a "well-known" uni for physics)?
Reply 1
Brian Cox works there so it must be good. There are also rumours of a radioactive toilet when they used to throw radioactive waste down the loo in the 1900s.
Reply 2
Can anyone give an opinion of the Uni in general as well please?
Reply 3
Entry requirements shot up because of Brian Cox. They like to show off that he works there.
*because of Brian Cox and the Nobel Prize.

They've had some good fortune recently, yeah, but if that attracts better applicants, that'll likely improve the reputation of the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's actually true that people are wanting to study Physics at Manchester because of Brian Cox, I find it hard to believe that the quality of their intake will increase...
Nice, thanks :smile:
Any other comments would be welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Personally I didn't get a good impression when I contacted them in the past. I was looking to transfer with excellent results and they were very abrupt. On the other hand universities like York, Exeter and Imperial were very helpful and more subjective. The transfer didnt happen in the end but they gave me offers apart from Imperial (their course progresses fast and i hadn't covered enough material). They were more willing to give me a chance whereas Manchester wanted A*AA minimum and if you had AAA they would turn you away without second thought which is absolutely ridiculous. As recently as 2009 they were letting people on the course with ABC (search this website). I think their admissions policy is lazy and short sighted. Personally I think Manchester is a good university but there are equally better places. Imperial, UCL and durham are probably better, but then you have unis like York, Sussex and Exeter which are also very good for physics.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/the-brian-cox-effect-boosts-manchester-universitys-1210249
Original post by BP_Tranquility
How does Manchester's reputation compare with other universities like say Imperial/UCL/Durham?
And how is a physics degree from this universitity perceived by employers in the UK and worldwide (is it a "well-known" uni for physics)?

Manchester is excellent for physics. I know people on the course there and I'd be on it myself if I didn't choose Edinburgh (free tuition :tongue: ). From looking thourgh lists of modules and compulsory units, I would also rate Manchester's physics program higher than UCL's.

Quick Reply

Latest