The Student Room Group

Uni offers, conditional/unconditional. Is it first come first serve?

I haven't sent of my UCAS application but will do pretty soon. I know people that have sent off their application and received offers. If they do get an offer does that mean that they're guaranteed a place. Say a number of students got offers for the course that I want to apply for is it first come first serve. As I am applying a bit later, will I not get an offer as it's already been taken by someone else who applied before me? I am predicted, A*, A*,A, B.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's equal consideration for everyone until the jan 15 deadline. UCL in particular stated they carefully manage their places so everyone gets equal consideration no matter when they applu and all other universities have to do the same
Reply 2
Original post by TVIO
It's equal consideration for everyone until the jan 15 deadline. UCL in particular stated they carefully manage their places so everyone gets equal consideration no matter when they applu and all other universities have to do the same

So it doesn't neccasirly matter if I apply now or in a week and if the unis don't get it by December. Deliberating on what I want to do is taking much longer than what I expected. So to clarify, If a student I know has already had an unconditional offer and if i apply at a later date, I could get an unconditional offer too if they like my statement? They can't just give out offers to thousands of students though?
Reply 3
Original post by krs122
So it doesn't neccasirly matter if I apply now or in a week and if the unis don't get it by December. Deliberating on what I want to do is taking much longer than what I expected. So to clarify, If a student I know has already had an unconditional offer and if i apply at a later date, I could get an unconditional offer too if they like my statement? They can't just give out offers to thousands of students though?

They've done this for years, so they know how many places to reserve for later in the year. You could definitely get an offer :smile: Though don't count on getting an unconditional (unless you already have your A2s of course) as they're rare and only a few unis give them out
Reply 4
Original post by TVIO
They've done this for years, so they know how many places to reserve for later in the year. You could definitely get an offer :smile: Though don't count on getting an unconditional (unless you already have your A2s of course) as they're rare and only a few unis give them out

Basically, as I have changed what course that I want to do, I've got to delay it till a couple of days after my schools internal ucas deadline. They won't send it till atleast december and therefore I was wondering if I will be hindered by it. I am confident that I can write a good personal statement and the fact that my predicted grades are A*,A*, A, B and I am applying for AAB/ABB uni's I hope to get in and was wondering if I will be at a disadvantage
Reply 5
Original post by krs122
Basically, as I have changed what course that I want to do, I've got to delay it till a couple of days after my schools internal ucas deadline. They won't send it till atleast december and therefore I was wondering if I will be hindered by it. I am confident that I can write a good personal statement and the fact that my predicted grades are A*,A*, A, B and I am applying for AAB/ABB uni's I hope to get in and was wondering if I will be at a disadvantage

With grades like that you'll have no trouble getting offers! Seriously, as long as they get the application before the UCAS deadline in January, you have every chance of getting an offer.
equal consideration is given to all applicants but I would say send it off once you're done with your application but I would say do send it before January :smile: im applying to uni again but last year I sent my application off in December and I got all my offers from all my choices :smile: plus you're predicted great grades :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by umimstuck
equal consideration is given to all applicants but I would say send it off once you're done with your application but I would say do send it before January :smile: im applying to uni again but last year I sent my application off in December and I got all my offers from all my choices :smile: plus you're predicted great grades :biggrin:

Ah good to hear. It's just that people are already getting offers, they do offer lots more offers compared to places? The schools deadline is in a couple of days which I can't meet this means that once I give it to them they won't send it to UCAS till atleast december. I'm slightly worried about that but I still need more time to pick a specific course about what I want to do. I can't decide between 4 sectors
Original post by krs122
Ah good to hear. It's just that people are already getting offers, they do offer lots more offers compared to places? The schools deadline is in a couple of days which I can't meet this means that once I give it to them they won't send it to UCAS till atleast december. I'm slightly worried about that but I still need more time to pick a specific course about what I want to do. I can't decide between 4 sectors

yeah once you hear people getting offers you get worried but don't worry about that, it can also depend on the uni they are applying for, certain unis will give out offers asap, redbrick unis will sometimes wait after Jan 15th.
sometimes they do
don't rush into it, be 100% sure you are happy with whatever you're applying for :smile: wait till December then if you must, you don't wanna rush and regret
but if you get your application sorted before December can your school still not send it off?
but if you're still worried about that, then use your time now until the deadline to finalise your choices :smile:
Reply 9
yeah once you hear people getting offers you get worried but don't worry about that, it can also depend on the uni they are applying for, certain unis will give out offers asap, redbrick unis will sometimes wait after Jan 15th.
sometimes they do
don't rush into it, be 100% sure you are happy with whatever you're applying for :smile: wait till December then if you must, you don't wanna rush and regret
but if you get your application sorted before December can your school still not send it off?
but if you're still worried about that, then use your time now until the deadline to finalise your choices :smile:

I send the application to the school, they check it and put my reference and then send it to UCAS and they're going to put it in the bottom of the pile so it will be atleast december. I can't decide between Business management or economics or accounting and finance.
Original post by krs122
I send the application to the school, they check it and put my reference and then send it to UCAS and they're going to put it in the bottom of the pile so it will be atleast december. I can't decide between Business management or economics or accounting and finance.

oh just keep on pestering them, they'll send it off sooner rather than later :smile:
see which modules you will prefer from them the most but you will figure it out :smile: what unis are you hoping to apply for?
Reply 11
oh just keep on pestering them, they'll send it off sooner rather than later :smile:
see which modules you will prefer from them the most but you will figure it out :smile: what unis are you hoping to apply for?

Not the top tier, but like the tier below that. The ones that have AAA, AAB, ABB. I would aim higher but I failed maths although I am retaking. I'm not completely sure on what to do and I've left it a bit too late. What about you?
Original post by krs122
Not the top tier, but like the tier below that. The ones that have AAA, AAB, ABB. I would aim higher but I failed maths although I am retaking. I'm not completely sure on what to do and I've left it a bit too late. What about you?

ah okay
well you still have time :smile: im still deciding on what course I'd like to do:confused:
Reply 13
ah okay
well you still have time :smile: im still deciding on what course I'd like to do:confused:

same :/ I'm really not sure. I could get into most courses I think with my predicted grades but there's no course or uni that stands out for me. Like there are a lot of courses where I like the modules and course content but I can't choose one over the other.
Original post by krs122
same :/ I'm really not sure. I could get into most courses I think with my predicted grades but there's no course or uni that stands out for me. Like there are a lot of courses where I like the modules and course content but I can't choose one over the other.

don't rush into it, theres always other options :smile: whatever you do make sure you're 100% happy with it
Reply 15
don't rush into it, theres always other options :smile: whatever you do make sure you're 100% happy with it

I still haven't sent it off :/ I can't decide mate
Original post by krs122
I still haven't sent it off :/ I can't decide mate

you still cant decide on the course?
Reply 17
you still cant decide on the course?

nope.
Original post by krs122
nope.

So what will you be doing? Take a gap year?
3 years I attended an open day at Durham. The lecturer there said they had over 1000 applications and only offered 400 posts. They new from experience that this would give them the required amount of entrants I believe it was 180. If there was more than that then that was their problem as once they made an offer they could not withdraw it. This was also said by Bath. Durham then explained the applicants fell into 3 groups. Some were rejected and others were accepted early. The third group was left until after the January deadline before making a decision as they had to give equal consideration to those making applications up to the deadline.
As far as unconditional offers are concerned many unis failed to recruit enough students last year. Partly because some unis like Exeter and Bristol had increased their intake and also the amount passing at aab and above fell. Unis are now offering unconditional offers to ensure their intake doesn't fall this year.
With your predicted grades I don't think you will get a problem unless it is a select course at a select uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending