The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Can someone pls help with questions 20, 44 and 48 of the 2012 paper. Thanks. Much appreciated!
Original post by JaiGuruji
Can someone pls help with questions 20, 44 and 48 of the 2012 paper. Thanks. Much appreciated!

Hi so 20 has to be B because in the stem it says he has put them in decreasing order, and option B also states that it is places in descending order which the others do not.

for 44 you have to be able to visualize the shapes changing. Take A and compare it to all of the others, and if you were to rotate A would you be able to get the shape shown by the other answer choices. This is how I did it and it helped picturing it moving in my mind, and led me to conclude that C was the only shape that could not resemble A.

for 48 we know that Reeta can definitely not win so her votes are then going to be given to the rest of the remaining candidates, but even if all 17 then vote for Wayne he still won't have enough votes to actually win. So the answer has to be only 4 stand a chance.
Q48 2009 is actually to do with the sum of two sides of a triangle is always more than the other side's length. Now with that in mind go have a play with the question, specifically option C..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I meant questions 20, 44 and 48 of 2009. Sorry again. Thanks for the help though!
Original post by Harshil1
That is essentially ratios, isn't it?

Yes
Original post by KHJ1
This thread has made me so nervous.My scores have been: 62.9, 65.9, 66.5, 63.9 and 37/50 in the specimen paper. Should I be aiming higher for PPE

They're good scores bro
Original post by anonwinner
They're good scores bro

how do you know he is a boy?
:cool:
Original post by JaiGuruji
Sorry I meant questions 20, 44 and 48 of 2009. Sorry again. Thanks for the help though!

Q20: I don't know how to explain it since I don't know the law...
But I give it a try: look how A and C are connected. At first start to look how often B turns.
U=2PI*1/2d (I won't consider PI)
U(A)=0.5
U(B)=1
U(C)=2

So let's look at B: its outline is twice A, therefore it is turning half the number =>4
The connection between C and B is over a A again. But this time A2 turns as often as does B. The differece in the outline between A2 and C is 4 times, as a result C turns 1/4 B =>4/4=1 =>A

Q44: Now look at one hexagon and how many triangles are around it:
1 hexagon + 18 triangles.
But now you have to find a pattern that forms on part so that if you combine two of it the triangles do not overlap.
you just need 12 triangles so the answer is C.

Q48: Please try the advices from the other persons who have responded already, keep your eyes open :wink:
Reply 448
Please could someone help me with the 2012 paper Q: 19, 30, 31, 42

thank you:smile:
Are the example TSA papers in the "Think can you think? Cracking the TSA" easier or more difficult than the actual TSA papers?
Original post by MrBowcat
Are the example TSA papers in the "Think can you think? Cracking the TSA" easier or more difficult than the actual TSA papers?

More difficult, by a long shot. I was averaging 47-49 on real past papers, jumped in with the TYCT papers and got 40 and 43. Although I think the questions are actively trying to catch you out, whereas the normal papers aren't so much. Let me know how you find/found the TYCT papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
More difficult, by a long shot. I was averaging 47-49 on real past papers, jumped in with the TYCT papers and got 40 and 43. Although I think the questions are actively trying to catch you out, whereas the normal papers aren't so much. Let me know how you find/found the TYCT papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew!! I just did a TYCT paper and scored my lowest mark yet, got really worried. Thank you!!
Original post by Teddysmith123
Yh if you go on the oxford testing site then onto past papers they have a score converter for each year. A score of 60 tends to be around 30 out of 50 in the paper but I've seen in some years this can be higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the score converter gives a conversion for each question, not for the total raw mark, and I was under the impression that each correct answer receives the same mark regardless of it's difficulty. The website even states that each correct answer receives 1 mark. Or am I wrong and are you meant to work out your total converted marks as a percentage.
Original post by oluwabob
But the score converter gives a conversion for each question, not for the total raw mark, and I was under the impression that each correct answer receives the same mark regardless of it's difficulty. The website even states that each correct answer receives 1 mark. Or am I wrong and are you meant to work out your total converted marks as a percentage.

Not at all, the score converter does not give the marks for each question. What it gives is a converted score for the score out of 50 which you have received after sitting the paper. Each question is still worth one mark prior to conversion.What happens after though, due to the statistical conversion, is that marginal marks after a certain threshold, which would be almost full marks, start making a greater difference on the converted score.

You probably simply misunderstood the converter by thinking that the scores in the right column refered to the scores for each specific questions, which is wrong.
Questions from CIE:

As part of a job interview, Iris has been given a memory test.
She was given one minute to study a picture of a clock whose numbers 1 to 12 were a variety of
colours.
At the end of the minute she was confident of the following:
Four of the numbers were green, three were blue, three were yellow and two were red.
The three blue numbers were 2, 7 and 12.
Except for the two red numbers, no two neighbouring numbers were the same colour.
No pairs of opposite numbers (12 and 6, 1 and 7 etc.) had repeated colour combinations
(so, for instance, two of the green numbers must have been opposite each other, since
green cannot have been opposite blue, red or yellow twice).
Now Iris has been asked to name the colour of each of the twelve numbers on the clock face.
The information that Iris has memorised is sufficient for her to be certain of the colour of how
many of the twelve numbers?
A Three
B Four
C Eight
D Twelve

Every month, when I pay my rent, the landlord gives me a bill for utilities. I know that all fixed
charges are included in my monthly rent, so my extra bill for each utility is calculated by
multiplying the number of units that I have used by the price per unit. I do not know which of gas,
electricity and water I am being charged for. In the last four months I have recorded the number
of units of each that I used and the amount that I was charged by the landlord.

Electricity (units) Gas (units) Water (units) Landlord’s bill ($)
50 71 32 2.77
53 71 34 2.81
50 71 28 2.69
54 74 35 2.92
What am I being charged for?
A Electricity and gas.
B Electricity and water.
C Gas and water.
D Electricity, gas and water.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cbrook
Please could someone help me with the 2012 paper Q: 19, 30, 31, 42

thank you

Q19- in total there is 196 people since the table is cumilative. If you look at the 6g or less row, it gives you how many people consumes at the reccommened or below amount of salt which is 41. 41/196 * 100 roughly equals 20%. 100-20=80%.therefore the answer is D.
Q30-it says that each application creates 12l or 1200ml of diluted liquid. On the first application if you add 1 and 15, it equals 16. 1200÷16=750 meaning 750ml of Greatgrass is used on first applicatation. after 3 hours, another application is made, 1200÷25=480 meaning 480ml of greatgrass is used. Therefore, you add 480 and 750 together making 1230ml meaning b is the answer.
Q31. In total there is 200 pupils. The number of correct predictions for a-c grades is 90 and correct predictions for other grades is 60. 150/200 *100=75% meaning the answer is E
Q42-not too sure about that one. Sorry
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 456
Hi

I'm having trouble with question 48 on the 2010 paper.

The question is-

48 The ferry from Harport to Selmer is at sea for 1 hour 15 minutes and at its berth at either
end for 30 minutes. The hovercraft service between the same ports takes only 45 minutes
and is berthed for 15 minutes before returning.
If both leave Harport at 08:00 what is the next time they will both be at the same port
together?
A 09:45
B 12:45
C 14:45
D 15:00
E 18:00

Could someone please explain the method to me?

Appreciate any help given
Original post by philerus
Not at all, the score converter does not give the marks for each question. What it gives is a converted score for the score out of 50 which you have received after sitting the paper. Each question is still worth one mark prior to conversion.What happens after though, due to the statistical conversion, is that marginal marks after a certain threshold, which would be almost full marks, start making a greater difference on the converted score.

You probably simply misunderstood the converter by thinking that the scores in the right column refered to the scores for each specific questions, which is wrong.

No one is quite sure how they work out the final mark you get in the end though. Take a look at the old threads when people received results, you get scores x/25 (Crit) x/25 (Problem Solving) but your Total mark is not the average of these two. There is some slight weighting, but where is anyone's guess.
[QUOTE="JaiGuruji;51307543"]
Original post by economicsrocks
This one is really tricky but I'll try and explain it here:
You basically have to draw out what each route looks like, then follow the path and see if it's the shortest or not. The paths I got were:
C B X A
B C X A
C B X A
C X B A
X A B C

If you follow the route provided, you will see the shortest way around a, b, d, and e is the route shown (it might help if you draw arrows above the letters and follow the route). With C, however, the route goes right, then left, then further left then right again. This is not the shortest route, therefore the answer is C.

Hopefully this made sense, although I don't think I explained it very well! Let me know if you need further clarification :smile:

Sorry I don't quite understand the method above. Could you provide any further clarification. Thanks! :smile:

Yes of course :smile: Sorry, I'm not that good at explaining things! In each situation, the layout of the towns are different, therefore you have to figure out in what order the towns are laid out.

In part A, the towns are laid out in the order of C B X A. I figured this out by following the order from part A in the question.
In part B, the towns are laid out like this: B C X A
Part C: C B X A
Part D: C X B A
Part E: X A B C

The question asks you to find out which order is not the shortest journey for the lorry to take.

This is the tricky part! Now you have to follow the journeys listed in the question and see which one is not the shortest.

If you follow journey A along the order of the towns I listed above, you will see the shortest way to start from town X, go through all of the towns and go back to town X is XAXBCBX. Therefore, the answer is not A.
If you do this for all of the journeys along all of the town orders I listed above, hopefully you'll see that the journey the lorry takes along C is not a possible journey. Hence, C is the answer. The possible journey requires crossing town B twice, whereas C only crosses town B once (based on the town order for C above).

Hopefully this is a little clearer! Unfortunately, this questions is very hard to explain :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 459
Original post by totoro1997
Q19- in total there is 196 people since the table is cumilative. If you look at the 6g or less row, it gives you how many people consumes at the reccommened or below amount of salt which is 41. 41/196 * 100 roughly equals 20%. 100-20=80%.therefore the answer is D.
Q30-it says that each application creates 12l or 1200ml of diluted liquid. On the first application if you add 1 and 15, it equals 16. 1200÷16=750 meaning 750ml of Greatgrass is used on first applicatation. after 3 hours, another application is made, 1200÷25=480 meaning 480ml of greatgrass is used. Therefore, you add 480 and 750 together making 1230ml meaning b is the answer.
Q31. In total there is 200 pupils. The number of correct predictions for a-c grades is 90 and correct predictions for other grades is 60. 150/200 *100=75% meaning the answer is E
Q42-not too sure about that one. Sorry

Thank you very much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending