The Student Room Group

Regretting an A-Level choice . . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loperdoper
D. I was 3 UMS off a C though.

It was tough, took roughly the same amount of work to get an A in Biology.

What did you /are you applying for at uni?
Original post by chem@uni
What did you /are you applying for at uni?

Biology/Genetics.
I am in year 12 and regret taking government and politics and my school won't let me drop it I'm really not getting the subject and so far all I have got is an E in a mock(it was a 5 a 10 and a 25 mark question) and I don't know what to do:frown: I have tried improving and I always listen to everything and do every piece of reading and homework and have even done my own reading and I'm still not getting it:frown:
Original post by Charlblackburn
I am in year 12 and regret taking government and politics and my school won't let me drop it I'm really not getting the subject and so far all I have got is an E in a mock(it was a 5 a 10 and a 25 mark question) and I don't know what to do:frown: I have tried improving and I always listen to everything and do every piece of reading and homework and have even done my own reading and I'm still not getting it:frown:

Well if it is needed for what you want to do in the future then stick with it, if not maybe ask your school if you can swap it instead of just dropping it
Original post by chem@uni
Well if it is needed for what you want to do in the future then stick with it, if not maybe ask your school if you can swap it instead of just dropping it

I don't need it need it but it could help. Also they are not letting us swap or drop and it's really just gunna be a waste of a year if I don't improve:frown:
Original post by Madmatician
Yeah I feel the same about Chemistry. I was unsure about Chem from the start cause I chose it last minute. Originally I was going to do History but I didn't like the topics they do at my sixth form, so it was between Chem and Lit. Lit was in the same block as Further Maths so I chose Chemistry. First few weeks of Chem were good so I thought I'd made the right decision but then it started getting harder and boring and now it's too late to change it. :frown:

I was torn between History and Chemistry as my fourth option after FM,AFM and Physics. I went for History and sort of don't like it but I'm pretty sure it's better than Chemistry so I think I made the right choice even though I'll probably get just a B
Just started AS year, I chose Bio, Chem, English Lit and Geography. I forced myself to take Chemistry because I want to study disease related degrees like BioMed and they require Chemistry. I regret taking Geography and wish I took Psychology because Geography is pretty boring until 2nd year (when I do plate tectonics - which is the reason why I took it when I could study that topic myself rather than sit an A level in it).
Original post by loperdoper
I regretted Physics in maybe about March when it was clear I was never going to get a decent grade. I knew the stuff (sort of), I just couldn't connect the physics to the question to form an answer.

Keep going with it, and see if you can pick up an AS in year 13 to hopefully balance out any not-so-great grade you might get.

Wow, I am literally in the exact same position as you and can picture my self achieving a D for the same reason as you. I really regret picking Physics AS on top of my other 2 sciences and maths A-Levels but I think it's too late to change and that I should stop moaning and just get on with it...
Original post by Idomaths
I was torn between History and Chemistry as my fourth option after FM,AFM and Physics. I went for History and sort of don't like it but I'm pretty sure it's better than Chemistry so I think I made the right choice even though I'll probably get just a B

Wow, Additional Further Maths. What's that like? And what topics do you do in History?

Tbh I wish I did Art instead of Chem. It would've been a lot of work, but at least I would've enjoyed it. :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by Iggy Azalea

Funny enough I regret taking Spanish A Level a lot of the time, since I don't like my teacher and the level of homework is unbelievable. He's from Peru and only practised teaching in private schools in China and Singapore... so basically he's treating me (only me in the class) like some Chinese homework slave.

I feel your stuggle, half of my teachers used to teach in the Far East :frown:
Geology =hell
I really enjoy chemistry and would love to do it at uni. Any tips on how to do well at AS?
Wow, Additional Further Maths. What's that like? And what topics do you do in History?

Tbh I wish I did Art instead of Chem. It would've been a lot of work, but at least I would've enjoyed it. :frown:

AFM is basically all the left over modules after FM (like mechanics 5 and statistics 4).
In history the exam board is edexcel. Unit 1: Russia in Revolution and USA in Asia
Unit 2: Henry VIII
wbu for history?

I have fooled by self in to thinking that I actually enjoy history so I don't get the feeling of regret. :P
Original post by Marcusroye98
I really enjoy chemistry and would love to do it at uni. Any tips on how to do well at AS?

I don't do Chemistry, but I do Physics and the course layout is the same. I would advise you to look at every topic in more depth, look at things that aren't part of the syllabus so u have a broader understanding of the subject. Oh and REVISE!
Original post by PeacefulSniper
Wow, I am literally in the exact same position as you and can picture my self achieving a D for the same reason as you. I really regret picking Physics AS on top of my other 2 sciences and maths A-Levels but I think it's too late to change and that I should stop moaning and just get on with it...

The thing is, I really enjoyed Physics all year. I was just really bad at it.

Are you on OCR? If so, try to not focus so much on Mechanics, and revise hard for the second exam. I managed to get a C in Mechanics, but I completely ran out of time to revise for the second exam, which gave me the low D I ended up with overall.
I don't do Chemistry, but I do Physics and the course layout is the same. I would advise you to look at every topic in more depth, look at things that aren't part of the syllabus so u have a broader understanding of the subject. Oh and REVISE!

Haha thanks!😃
I just write up all my notes up in neat and make Flash cards on the topics we have done so far😝
AFM is basically all the left over modules after FM (like mechanics 5 and statistics 4).
In history the exam board is edexcel. Unit 1: Russia in Revolution and USA in Asia
Unit 2: Henry VIII
wbu for history?

I have fooled by self in to thinking that I actually enjoy history so I don't get the feeling of regret. :P

Wow! Is AFM really hard?? I'm doing S1 and can't stand it, I can't begin to imagine what S4 must be like :eek:

Unit 1 sounds so good. I actually really wanted to study Russia; I find it so interesting. Unit 2 sounds rubbish though lol :tongue: I don't do History because my sixth form do stuff about Henry VIII and the Church and they bore me :tongue:

I'm sure you'll really start enjoying History once you get more into it! It can be hard to get used to at first, like at GCSE I just couldn't do History at first, kept getting Bs and As and then finally started understanding it a couple months before the exam and came out with an A*! :smile:

What exam board do you do for Physics and Further Maths btw?
Wow! Is AFM really hard?? I'm doing S1 and can't stand it, I can't begin to imagine what S4 must be like :eek:

Unit 1 sounds so good. I actually really wanted to study Russia; I find it so interesting. Unit 2 sounds rubbish though lol :tongue: I don't do History because my sixth form do stuff about Henry VIII and the Church and they bore me :tongue:

I'm sure you'll really start enjoying History once you get more into it! It can be hard to get used to at first, like at GCSE I just couldn't do History at first, kept getting Bs and As and then finally started understanding it a couple months before the exam and came out with an A*! :smile:

What exam board do you do for Physics and Further Maths btw?

haha I hope so. I got an A* in every practice paper ever for history year 10 and 11 but came out with an A somehow despite getting full ums on the surgery paper.

Physics: AQA
Maths: Edexcel (like everyone does it on EDexcel) and you cant do AFM on other boards
I've just moved schools [week before the half term] and I've gone from doing Product Design, Biology, History & Geography to bio, chem, hist & photography. They're all completely different courses, so I've pretty much had to catch up on 6 weeks wroth of work over this half term.

If you regret your choice, drop and change asap, or hang on in there until July...
haha I hope so. I got an A* in every practice paper ever for history year 10 and 11 but came out with an A somehow despite getting full ums on the surgery paper.

Physics: AQA
Maths: Edexcel (like everyone does it on EDexcel) and you cant do AFM on other boards

I do AQA Maths and Physics. How are you finding Physics??

Quick Reply

Latest