The Student Room Group

Virgin Rocket Ship Crash

Scroll to see replies

it would be AMAZING to go into space :biggrin: but personally im against space tourism, we'd end up exploiting it up there since we ain't doing a great job at looking after Earth and conflict could arise so meh its not worth it
Original post by umimstuck
it would be AMAZING to go into space :biggrin: but personally im against space tourism, we'd end up exploiting it up there since we ain't doing a great job at looking after Earth and conflict could arise so meh its not worth it

I imagine it's very hard to **** up space
As for conflict, how is putting the rich into LEO going to start any conflict that wouldn't happen anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I imagine it's very hard to **** up space
As for conflict, how is putting the rich into LEO going to start any conflict that wouldn't happen anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha we humans will **** it up, we'll probably end up throwing our nuclear waste up there, out of sight out of mind
theres going to be that debate on "who owns space" there'll be international competition for a space race, things are bound to get messy not only with the rich but other key players will have a say and it will become a very controversial topic
haha we humans will **** it up, we'll probably end up throwing our nuclear waste up there, out of sight out of mind

And ejecting our nuclear waste into space is ****ing it up, how?

theres going to be that debate on "who owns space" there'll be international competition for a space race, things are bound to get messy not only with the rich but other key players will have a say and it will become a very controversial topic

You do realise we've already been through all this and there are international conventions in place, such things as nobody owning space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not worth the energy used to get the waste up there.

And do you want to risk there being an accident and a giant explosion on launch and waste goes everywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise we've already been through all this and there are international conventions in place, such things as nobody owning space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

seriously?! look at the effects of nuclear waste on the environment right now, similar scenario can happen in space and how will we manage it

well of course that's what they will be saying for now, who knows how its going to pan out in the future
we are already.... in space. that is what the ooniverse is made of.
Original post by Motorbiker
Not worth the energy used to get the waste up there.

And do you want to risk there being an accident and a giant explosion on launch and waste goes everywhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course not, but its a possibility, especially since theres such a demand for nuclear power
Reply 48
Original post by Queen Cersei
Haha you both have a lot more faith in it than me! What if the first voyage turns out to be another titanic?!

Don't worry, they don't have icebergs in space:biggrin:
seriously?! look at the effects of nuclear waste on the environment right now, similar scenario can happen in space and how will we manage it

well of course that's what they will be saying for now, who knows how its going to pan out in the future

Last I checked the "environment" in space is 99.99999% (no idea how many "9"s I need) near vacuum, with a similarly large portion of that 0.000001% being almost certainly lifeless. Tell me exactly what nuclear waste travelling away from us into almost certainly nothingness at astronomical speeds is going to do? What's the worst that could reasonably happen? It hits something? Big deal.

And if you're against space tourism on the basis that it may lead to conflict it's not space tourism that offends you, it's space travel, the only hope our species has of "immortality", although I assume you think that a terrible idea.
of course not, but its a possibility, especially since theres such a demand for nuclear power

It'll not happen. The amount we have is ridiculous and the amount of rockets to take it to space would be stupid.

We'll continue to deal with it on earth like we currently do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah. No country can own the moon but its very up in the air as to whether they can own planets (and if they lay claim to Saturn, what are you going to do to stop them) and private ownership seems permitted. People have already charged NASA rent on Mars and will mine asteroids.
Original post by Rakas21
Ah. No country can own the moon but its very up in the air as to whether they can own planets (and if they lay claim to Saturn, what are you going to do to stop them) and private ownership seems permitted. People have already charged NASA rent on Mars and will mine asteroids.

Have, or have tried to?
RE: Saturn, the same as we do on Earth, not recognise the claim. Or just engage with the issues before the happen, at the moment that sort of thing isn't really much of an issue and we have time to deal with it.
Last I checked the "environment" in space is 99.99999% (no idea how many "9"s I need) near vacuum, with a similarly large portion of that 0.000001% being almost certainly lifeless. Tell me exactly what nuclear waste travelling away from us into almost certainly nothingness at astronomical speeds is going to do? What's the worst that could reasonably happen? It hits something? Big deal.

And if you're against space tourism on the basis that it may lead to conflict it's not space tourism that offends you, it's space travel, the only hope our species has of "immortality", although I assume you think that a terrible idea.

theres practical difficulties especially with the transporting also it will take thousands of years for the radioactivity to naturally decay to safe levels. So what if its lifeless, we'll be messing up the atmosphere and we don't know the impacts of what will happen but it will be severe so it will be a big deal

both space tourism and space travel has its pros and cons but the costs outweigh the benefits
theres practical difficulties especially with the transporting also it will take thousands of years for the radioactivity to naturally decay to safe levels. So what if its lifeless, we'll be messing up the atmosphere and we don't know the impacts of what will happen but it will be severe so it will be a big deal

both space tourism and space travel has its pros and cons but the costs outweigh the benefits

TBH, that made me chuckle.
OK then, so suppose it hits something, there are 2 options: it hits something in the solar system or something out of the solar system.
If it hits something outside the solar system it's just like a small asteroid doing so, no issue, so lets look at inside:
The sun: No logical issue
Mercury: No logical issue, and there is no real atmosphere to damage
Venus: their atmosphere is pretty ****ed already
Mars: atmosphere of near pure CO2
Jupiter: Yeah, rather a lot of atmosphere and is pretty ****ed already
Saturn: Ditto
Neptune: Ditto
Pluto: Ditto
Asteroids and comets: are you afraid of them hitting each other too?

Then of course you've got this thing with all those with atmospheres is that there is rather a lot of it which means that when all the radioactive material in the atmosphere spreads to a constant concentration it's not an issue anyway, and there is nothing that we know of that would suffer due to an initially high concentration.

We know perfectly well what the impact will be, we've thrown more nuclear waste into our own atmosphere than we would be into theirs, and we've had things WAY bigger hit us, and have observed much larger impacts with other bodies, and simulated them etc.
Original post by Motorbiker
It'll not happen. The amount we have is ridiculous and the amount of rockets to take it to space would be stupid.

We'll continue to deal with it on earth like we currently do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for now we will
for now we will

We're more likely to tunnel to the centre of the earth and throw it into the core than sending it into space.

It's very illogical on many many levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Horrific story. Thoughts with the pilots' families.

The impacts rather low.

Struggling to think of a huge disaster involving nuclear waste.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The impacts rather low.

Struggling to think of a huge disaster involving nuclear waste.

Or any nuclear event that had a significant lasting impact except for in the immediate vicinity.

Quick Reply

Latest