The Student Room Group

which course? running out of time

Ew 1st November. Would really appreciate replies pretty soon :tongue:

I'm meant to be writing a personal statement and getting excited about Uni atm but I haven't been able to stand by a decision on which course, not even on which subject I prefer out of my a levels aha, writing a statement is feeling impossible.
Acheived ACC at AS chem, phys and maths respectively. I was doing further maths and didn't do enough work basically so I'm still doing further maths atm and plan to resit. But I have a lot of exams this summer (resits: 5/6 modules in maths and 2/3 phys were C/D) still I'd like to keep at least AS further maths. Like physics, this time aound they seem much more interesting. As a result I think, my grades have improved. Now having A/B instead of C/D.

I think grades play a part of my decision here - I really enjoyed AS Chem and i know I'd like to know more about physical chemistry (we did more than we did inorganic/organic) and when it was my best I figured its the best course to do further. It combines physics and maths also, whereas physics for example has less chem, more maths).

I enjoy physics and maths just as much as chem. What my problem is I'm looking for a course that is the best compromise of interests. E.g the fact im trying to do physics and maths somewhere in the future makes me think I dont like chemistry enough, however chem is the best compromise.
Since I dont really have a preference on what id like to do with my degree, I though i might as well consider something like chemical/materials engineering instead. Whats put me off these is liking particle physics and basically most quantum phenomena and atomic scale happenings. Mechanics. Tbh other than electricity physics is the subject I like the most topics in. And other than stats, maths has always been the subject I like most topics in. I do like industrial side of chemistry. Maybe I need to consider a course a little different to the straight subject. I always argue I like the straight subject more though.
im just not certain doing more chemistry will put me off, it looks like a lot of topics in much more detail I hope I dont end up hating it as I genuinely care about learning uses and production, and the properties of chemicals.

Took part in a more mechanical eng. Project last year I enjoyed it overall. I'd do it again but idk if i'm suited for it as a course maybe-I know people dont know til they try though...

Im going round in circles -I just like everything equally probably.

I hope I havent put anyone off reading for life. I didnt intend to write everything on this post it is more importantly for advice on what I can do to choose a course. Any comments though would be awesome.

Apologies if unclear, please ask q.s if reading this leaves you as confused as me. Thinking about it too much and can no longer think about them without hating the thought of them all aha. Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nat_LPS

I'm meant to be writing a personal statement and getting excited about Uni atm but I haven't been able to stand by a decision on which course, not even on which subject I prefer out of my a levels aha, writing a statement is feeling impossible.
Acheived ACC at AS chem, phys and maths respectively. I was doing further maths and didn't do enough work basically so I'm still doing further maths atm and plan to resit. But I have a lot of exams this summer (resits: 5/6 modules in maths and 2/3 phys were C/D) still I'd like to keep at least AS further maths. Like physics, this time aound they seem much more interesting. As a result I think, my grades have improved. Now having A/B instead of C/D.

I think grades play a part of my decision here - I really enjoyed AS Chem and i know I'd like to know more about physical chemistry (we did more than we did inorganic/organic) and when it was my best I figured its the best course to do further. It combines physics and maths also, whereas physics for example has less chem, more maths).

I enjoy physics and maths just as much as chem. What my problem is I'm looking for a course that is the best compromise of interests. E.g the fact im trying to do physics and maths somewhere in the future makes me think I dont like chemistry enough, however chem is the best compromise.
Since I dont really have a preference on what id like to do with my degree, I though i might as well consider something like chemical/materials engineering instead. Whats put me off these is liking particle physics and basically most quantum phenomena and atomic scale happenings. Mechanics. Tbh other than electricity physics is the subject I like the most topics in. And other than stats, maths has always been the subject I like most topics in. I do like industrial side of chemistry. Maybe I need to consider a course a little different to the straight subject. I always argue I like the straight subject more though.
im just not certain doing more chemistry will put me off, it looks like a lot of topics in much more detail I hope I dont end up hating it as I genuinely care about learning uses and production, and the properties of chemicals.

Took part in a more mechanical eng. Project last year I enjoyed it overall. I'd do it again but idk if i'm suited for it as a course maybe-I know people dont know til they try though...

I hope I havent put anyone off reading for life. I didnt intend to write everything on this post it is more importantly for advice on what I can do to choose a course. Any comments though would be awesome.

Apologies if unclear, please ask q.s if reading this leaves you as confused as me. Thinking about it too much and can no longer think about them without hating the thought of them all aha. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like chemistry to me.
hey! have you considered taking a gap year? why not focus on your exams for now and do your absolute best, take a gap year, do volunteering, explore other options and you'll figure out what course you'd like to take on and then apply next year :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nat_LPS

Same situation that I was in. I enjoy basically all the physical sciences along with maths. My grades weren't amazing this year so I couldn't apply for Natural Sciences. The next closest thing is Chemistry, but you need to look at what modules you study.

Basically I chose my uni's according to the optional modules along with the ones in Chemistry, for example UCL offers ones in maths and physics. Thing is you'll be doing maths and physics with it anyway when it comes to quantum chemistry and physical chemistry so it's quite diverse anyway. I picked up AS further maths this year too because I know that it will be useful for these kinds of modules.

I've applied to UCL (Chem with Maths), Bath (with placement), Warwick (got an offer - ABB), Nottingham and Birmingham (Interview)
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Sounds like chemistry to me.

Thanks for the lightning fast and simple reply. Why do I feel its not the right one like atm I only know id enjoy the physical chem bits. Am I just being stupid/lazy about it? Aha. Did you do chemistry?
Original post by Nat_LPS
Thanks for the lightning fast and simple reply. Why do I feel its not the right one like atm I only know id enjoy the physical chem bits. Am I just being stupid/lazy about it? Aha. Did you do chemistry?

I did mech eng.
Reply 6
Original post by TajwarC
Same situation that I was in. I enjoy basically all the physical sciences along with maths. My grades weren't amazing this year so I couldn't apply for Natural Sciences. The next closest thing is Chemistry, but you need to look at what modules you study.

Basically I chose my uni's according to the optional modules along with the ones in Chemistry, for example UCL offers ones in maths and physics. Thing is you'll be doing maths and physics with it anyway when it comes to quantum chemistry and physical chemistry so it's quite diverse anyway. I picked up AS further maths this year too because I know that it will be useful for these kinds of modules.

I've applied to UCL (Chem with Maths), Bath (with placement), Warwick (got an offer - ABB), Nottingham and Birmingham (Interview)

Thanks for a fast reply also :smile: I've looked at a few that offer optional modules, it worked out given the chance I was picking more physics than chem. Maybe because they sounded similar to what I know I liked whereas theres lots of new chem stuff.
I know everyone takes a chance when applying so hopefully I can make the most out of whatever I do, im just horrible with decisions and regret aha :s
Thanks though its great hearing you were still able to actually make a decision :tongue:

That's awesome well done :biggrin: I didnt know they reply with offers/interviews so soon.
Reply 7
Original post by umimstuck
hey! have you considered taking a gap year? why not focus on your exams for now and do your absolute best, take a gap year, do volunteering, explore other options and you'll figure out what course you'd like to take on and then apply next year :smile:

Yeah ive looked into it, I dont think id travel much though. Still I'd like to work a bit and get better grades before going. Id end up working in one place I thought, but id prefer to be able to compare different types of jobs. Idk maybe doing one should be enough to see if I hate/really like one.
Are these good enough reasons though?
Original post by Nat_LPS
Yeah ive looked into it, I dont think id travel much though. Still I'd like to work a bit and get better grades before going. Id end up working in one place I thought, but id prefer to be able to compare different types of jobs. Idk maybe doing one should be enough to see if I hate/really like one.
Are these good enough reasons though?

gap years are not only just for travelling, its about experiencing, experimenting and growing as a person
I think it could defiantly help you out, and yes for sure, then when you're working in that industry you can question whether or not you'd like to do something like this or not, just don't let your gap year go to waste and defiantly check out the skills shows for job events :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Nat_LPS
Thanks for a fast reply also :smile: I've looked at a few that offer optional modules, it worked out given the chance I was picking more physics than chem. Maybe because they sounded similar to what I know I liked whereas theres lots of new chem stuff.
I know everyone takes a chance when applying so hopefully I can make the most out of whatever I do, im just horrible with decisions and regret aha :s
Thanks though its great hearing you were still able to actually make a decision :tongue:

That's awesome well done :biggrin: I didnt know they reply with offers/interviews so soon.

You might want to look into Natural Sciences. You can "trial" all 3 in the first year and then choose which ones you like best to carry on with.

I would have done the same but I can't get an A*AA prediction (most places ask for this). I'm open to taking a gap year and then reapplying however, if I do well this year. If I end up changing my mind then at least I've got an offer from this year (as you can see I'm still pretty indecisive)

Interviews and offers can happen days after the application is sent which was a big incentive for me to get it done quickly. More importantly it means that I can now focus on my studies
Reply 10
Original post by Nat_LPS

Don't do anything use a DUMB**** go on the dole

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by TajwarC
You might want to look into Natural Sciences. You can "trial" all 3 in the first year and then choose which ones you like best to carry on with.

I would have done the same but I can't get an A*AA prediction (most places ask for this). I'm open to taking a gap year and then reapplying however, if I do well this year. If I end up changing my mind then at least I've got an offer from this year (as you can see I'm still pretty indecisive)

Interviews and offers can happen days after the application is sent which was a big incentive for me to get it done quickly. More importantly it means that I can now focus on my studies

Yeah if the grades were a little lower I would aha.
After applying theres something more focussed to work towards so good call.
and yeah theres plenty of options if you change your mind. chemistry remains the more broad subject, switching to another course may not be a complete knightmare after all.
Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending