The Student Room Group

Were having much warmer winters, should we be happy about Global warming ?

Poll

I want Global warming to

October 2014 was the warmest October on record for centuries, seeing mischief night and Halloween night reaching 22 degree Celsius. It's the 1st of November now and a very mild start at that, forecasters are predicting very warm weather all winter and say we could quite possibly even see a mini heat wave reaching 25 degree Celsius in December over the Christmas period.

I have been seeing people outdoors wearing sandals and flip fops over the last 2 weeks which are usually put aside for summer.

The way I see it, global warming means less harsh winters, = less deaths especially in the elderly , why should we reduce our carbon footprints if global warming is actually kinder to the human population? sure it means polar bears going extinct but human life is more important obviously

Please vote in poll your thoughts
Oh trust me global warming is not good for any country even though it may seem like that now...

And what will happen to all the water that melts in the Artic? Mess with the ocean currents in the Atlantic preventing the warm water coming up from the Mediterranean and that will bring extremely cold winters. Also more floods on the coastline regions will lead to more deaths due to an increase in sea levels and huge threat on water security with a warmer climate.

So many more threats to the UK in particular that can be researched and even though we may not face the worst of global warming it's definitely not going to be a benefit for us.
No. God, no. Cold is brilliant, particularly if it's been a hot summer. Also, why is there no 'Stop and be reduced' option on the poll?
Reply 3
Original post by Kash24411
Oh trust me global warming is not good for any country even though it may seem like that now...

And what will happen to all the water that melts in the Artic? Mess with the ocean currents in the Atlantic preventing the warm water coming up from the Mediterranean and that will bring extremely cold winters. Also more floods on the coastline regions will lead to more deaths due to an increase in sea levels and huge threat on water security with a warmer climate.

So many more threats to the UK in particular that can be researched and even though we may not face the worst of global warming it's definitely not going to be a benefit for us.

I don't really care, so long as we continue with the insanely unseasonable warm weather then bring on global warming.

I'm in favor of all these new factories being built, pump more **** into the sky, that's what I say. bring it on
Reply 4
Original post by Unruly Marmite
No. God, no. Cold is brilliant, particularly if it's been a hot summer. Also, why is there no 'Stop and be reduced' option on the poll?

you can't be serious? we have way gone past the point of no return, the damage is already done, everybody can see that.
Original post by Astra owner
you can't be serious? we have way gone past the point of no return, the damage is already done, everybody can see that.

The poll question is 'I want Global Warming to-' therefore 'Stop and be reduced' is a perfectly reasonable response. There is no part of the poll question that implies that Global Warming cannot be halted.
Warmer temperatures are good, but what about rising sea levels, droughts, and storms, not to mention what would happen in other countries?
Reply 7
Lol, where on earth did you read that we'd be getting 25 degree Celsius in DECEMBER?! Which country are you talking about here, sure it might be another mild winter, but 25C in December is not going to happen, temperatures are not rising THAT much :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Olie
Lol, where on earth did you read that we'd be getting 25 degree Celsius in DECEMBER?! Which country are you talking about here, sure it might be another mild winter, but 25C in December is not going to happen, temperatures are not rising THAT much :rolleyes:

I'm talking about in my Country England. forecasters are predicting perhaps 25 degree Celsius for the Christmas season. and yet, temperatures are rising that high
Reply 9
There is no such thing as forecasting that far in advance, except in the tabloid press.

Last year had a cold, wet, miserable summer. So AGW wasn't a thing last year?

In fact, is there any result or weather pattern that won't be blamed on AGW?
October 2014 was the warmest October on record for centuries, seeing mischief night and Halloween night reaching 22 degree Celsius. It's the 1st of November now and a very mild start at that, forecasters are predicting very warm weather all winter and say we could quite possibly even see a mini heat wave reaching 25 degree Celsius in December over the Christmas period.

I have been seeing people outdoors wearing sandals and flip fops over the last 2 weeks which are usually put aside for summer.

The way I see it, global warming means less harsh winters, = less deaths especially in the elderly , why should we reduce our carbon footprints if global warming is actually kinder to the human population? sure it means polar bears going extinct but human life is more important obviously

1. (Selfish reason), I like snow.
2. There is evidence of climate change being connected to the recent extreme/unusual weather, not just unexpected heat waves.
3. All life is important, not just human life.
4. The extinction of one animal can have a serious effect on the rest of the ecosystem.
5. Climate change affects the whole planet, what's 'good' for the UK isn't necessarily good for other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
1. (Selfish reason), I like snow.
2. There is evidence of climate change connected to the recent extreme/unusual weather, not just unexpected heat waves.
3. All life is important, not just human life.
4. The extinction of one animal can have a serious effect on the rest of the ecosystem.
5. Climate change affects the whole planet, what's 'good' for the UK isn't necessarily good for other countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid it's not that simple as just getting warmer. And just because for a couple years it's been warmer doesn't mean that it's solely due to global warming,
There always were warmer/colder years, sometimes it's not just years, but thousands of years due to changes in earth's orbit around sun or tilt of earth's axis or other things.
This global warming is something else, it's turning earth into a greenhouse where climate will change drastically and that will affect weather far worse than just having warmer winters in UK.

Some of the things that will happen because of this global warming will be expansion of deserts, lack of water in some areas & inability to grow crops, sea level rise causing many islands to be under the sea, melting of polar caps can potentially disrupt gulf stream which would cause Europe to be far colder than it is now.

Some potential affects could be changes in sea level acidity due to excess carbon that would cause mass extinction of some fish which would disrupt whole food chain.

And so on. Of course humankind is not going to go extinct from this, we'll be fine it's just some countries will be affected worse than others and everyone will have to adapt which will cost.
If we're very lucky the overdue Ice Age that some scientists are predicting will hit and we'll have plenty of time to sort out the rising concentrations of greenhouse gases.
Original post by McMicheal
I'm afraid it's not that simple as just getting warmer. And just because for a couple years it's been warmer doesn't mean that it's solely due to global warming,
There always were warmer/colder years, sometimes it's not just years, but thousands of years due to changes in earth's orbit around sun or tilt of earth's axis or other things.
This global warming is something else, it's turning earth into a greenhouse where climate will change drastically and that will affect weather far worse than just having warmer winters in UK.

Some of the things that will happen because of this global warming will be expansion of deserts, lack of water in some areas & inability to grow crops, sea level rise causing many islands to be under the sea, melting of polar caps can potentially disrupt gulf stream which would cause Europe to be far colder than it is now.

Some potential affects could be changes in sea level acidity due to excess carbon that would cause mass extinction of some fish which would disrupt whole food chain.

And so on. Of course humankind is not going to go extinct from this, we'll be fine it's just some countries will be affected worse than others and everyone will have to adapt which will cost.

Totally agree with this, Africa will be the best example of a continent that will be affected the most yet contributes to global warming the least
Totally agree with this, Africa will be the best example of a continent that will be affected the most yet contributes to global warming the least

The whole earth is a dump and mankind is just showing it for what it really is, the earth is just a tip full of resources
The whole earth is a dump and mankind is just showing it for what it really is, the earth is just a tip full of resources

It's because of people like you that it is a tip. It hasn't always been like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbieShamrock
It's because of people like you that it is a tip. It hasn't always been like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe so but what a boring world it would be if it wasn't.

Cue the dirt from my car exhaust
Maybe so but what a boring world it would be if it wasn't.

Cue the dirt from my car exhaust

You really can't think of anything fun to do that doesn't wreck the planet? My teacher used to say that the people who get bored are boring people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That particular theory was debunked 10 years ago now. Do try to keep up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending