The Student Room Group

How to volunteer/work part time ( like a saturday job) if you got no GCSE's

Hi, i'm currently studying for my IGCSE's I have volunteered for Aviva/Sainsbury's/British Athletics Competitions as the role of a kit carrier( carrying the athlete's kit) and I recently volunteered at a Arts Festival for service users helping them but i'm wondering about an Actual part time Saturday/Weekend job somewhere... maybe a nursery ? But idk if they would take me because I haven't really got any qualifications and no IGCSE's...

16, Homeschooled.
I think you would need more relevant experience/a qualification to work in a nursery, nursery staff would typically have some sort of NVQ

you could probably get a shop job somewhere that wasn't too fussy or a telesales job or something
Reply 2
Original post by doodle_333
I think you would need more relevant experience/a qualification to work in a nursery, nursery staff would typically have some sort of NVQ

you could probably get a shop job somewhere that wasn't too fussy or a telesales job or something

Oh I had a bestfriend who worked in a Nursery at 15 before completing GCSE's and same with another girl I know
Original post by elmosandy
Oh I had a bestfriend who worked in a Nursery at 15 before completing GCSE's and same with another girl I know

fair enough, I know a couple of people in that sort of job and they were required to either have an NVQ or be in training for one... I also thought you didn't get a NI number until 16 and you can't work without one usually plus you need it to be DBS checked, sounds a bit dodgy to me... did they know someone and did they get paid properly?
I work in a McDonald's, and one of the guys I work with is in his mid-20's with no GCSEs. I know WHSmith takes 13 year-olds, so are naturally prepared to give work to people with no qualifications.

My advice would be to find places that ask you to fill in an application form rather than hand in a CV - without any qualifications or actual work history, you don't really have all that much to fill out a CV with, after all.
Reply 5
fair enough, I know a couple of people in that sort of job and they were required to either have an NVQ or be in training for one... I also thought you didn't get a NI number until 16 and you can't work without one usually plus you need it to be DBS checked, sounds a bit dodgy to me... did they know someone and did they get paid properly?

Probs most people have an NVQ yeah but I think the reason they got the job is because in Year10 they had work exp and their work exp was at a nursery and I think the nursery just allowe them to stay on, they get paid, tbh it actually looked good when they applied for colleges course ( such as Health and Social Care Level3 BTEC). And nah I think I had my NI since Birth?
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
I work in a McDonald's, and one of the guys I work with is in his mid-20's with no GCSEs. I know WHSmith takes 13 year-olds, so are naturally prepared to give work to people with no qualifications.

My advice would be to find places that ask you to fill in an application form rather than hand in a CV - without any qualifications or actual work history, you don't really have all that much to fill out a CV with, after all.

I'll try thanks :smile: x
Reply 7
Probs most people have an NVQ yeah but I think the reason they got the job is because in Year10 they had work exp and their work exp was at a nursery and I think the nursery just allowe them to stay on, they get paid, tbh it actually looked good when they applied for colleges course ( such as Health and Social Care Level3 BTEC). And nah I think I had my NI since Birth?

I didn't get my NI number until I was 15 and others I know got theirs at either 15 or 16; you sure you're not getting it mixed up with something else? You can get jobs without qualifications, however you won't be likely to find one in a nursery (unless you get lucky like your friends). Places like supermarkets, cafes and high street shops are probably your best bet; many shops take on extra staff this time of year for the busy Christmas period so you could try those. If they ask you to hand in a CV put which iGCSEs you are studying and your volunteering (draw on any relevant skills you gained which are transferable e.g. team work); they won't be expecting a 16 year old to have a lot of previous experience so don't worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

okay yeah so they have a connection within the nursery, they were also under 16 so had no minimum wage... I doubt you will get the same job at 16 without that connection, just being honest, it's a nicer job and will therefore be more competitive

no you only get your NI number at 15/16ish
Hi, i'm currently studying for my IGCSE's I have volunteered for Aviva/Sainsbury's/British Athletics Competitions as the role of a kit carrier( carrying the athlete's kit) and I recently volunteered at a Arts Festival for service users helping them but i'm wondering about an Actual part time Saturday/Weekend job somewhere... maybe a nursery ? But idk if they would take me because I haven't really got any qualifications and no IGCSE's...

16, Homeschooled.

I have worked in 2 nurseries.
You definitely cant work in a nursery unless you have, or are working towards some kind of childcare qualifications. You would also have to be at least 16 and have a dbs check.
Plus you said you are looking for a saturday/weekend job- you nurseries are usually closed at weekends.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
okay yeah so they have a connection within the nursery, they were also under 16 so had no minimum wage... I doubt you will get the same job at 16 without that connection, just being honest, it's a nicer job and will therefore be more competitive

no you only get your NI number at 15/16ish

Ok

And ok. I think one of them worked in the Kitchens anyway. Idk they had work exprience for two weeks and the nursery allowed them to just stay on.

Same with another person I met on Hoilday. Their work ex was in a IT company, all of his schoolmates left and he stayed on but he got a D in GCSE ICT loool

16, Hoimeschooled.

Hi, I have worked at a nursery before? You need qualifications unless you start as an apprenticeship like I did
Is that what you want to do?
You can try part time retail jobs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending