The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Also waiting for online tests (European). Based on last year's thread, it looks like they might release another wave around the end of this coming week (last year they released some on 4 Nov), and then the final lot in mid-late November.

Out of curiosity, what made you not consider one of the analytical FS? :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
Out of curiosity, what made you not consider one of the analytical FS? :smile:

I did consider OR or stats, but I thought I'd find the work in the general or European stream more interesting. And most of the maths I do on my degree is the purest of pure (this term I'm studying logic and lots of algebraic topology/geometry stuff), so OR or stats isn't very connected to the maths I like anyway.
I did consider OR or stats, but I thought I'd find the work in the general or European stream more interesting. And most of the maths I do on my degree is the purest of pure (this term I'm studying logic and lots of algebraic topology/geometry stuff), so OR or stats isn't very connected to the maths I like anyway.

So much pure :afraid: I'm one of those applied mathematicians :tongue:.
But fair enough, fingers crossed for you and everyone on here :h:
Original post by Slowbro93
I'm one of those applied mathematicians

But you seemed so nice. :sad:
For those whose streams closed on the 30th September, I have calculated that the last e-tray should take place on the 11th November. So I'm waiting until then before I contact the team on where e-tray result is!
The last time I had a wait for a decision make me this anxious was when I applied to university :eek: just hope I pass :moon: (orac)

But you seemed so nice. :sad:

I am :ahee: just pure maths killed me :zomg:
Does the November 3rd deadline mean that you have to have completed all of the self-assessment/examination processes by that date?!?
Reply 827
Hi All,

I'm one of the successful applicants from last year's Fast Stream application process, now working on my first posting! I used TSR last year while applying and found a lot of helpful advice on here so am pleased to be in a position to reciprocate now!

A couple of us on the FS have co-authored a short guide that gives a detailed look into the FS application process and goes into some detail on each stage, from online tests through to the FSAC and Final Selection Boards; we even talk about next steps after the process. We also cover the competency framework, which underpins how applicants are scored at most of these stages and different ways of approaching the tasks.

This guide is non-profit and all money raised goes directly to the National Literacy Trust. We wrote it as part of our charity fundraising through the Fast Stream. It's important to note that it is not an 'official' guide, but we have been given approval to put the book out making sure that it is our personal views.

Here is the link to the amazon kindle page: Amzn.to/1znVvTe

BTW you don't have to have a kindle to buy and read the book- there are many different way (see the Kindle site)! It's just the most efficient way of us getting the document out there and ensuring that the money goes directly to the charity.

We sought advice from many different fast streamers to try to put in as much collective experience into the book as possible. We all know how hard and long this process can be so writing this book killed two birds with one stone- we were able to help future applicants by sharing our experience, and we could raise money for a charity that we care about.

All our profits from the guide will go directly to the NLT and it only costs £3.84! Your help with this will be extremely highly appreciated and really will contribute substantially towards the alleviation of suffering for children in the UK.
Please do share this with your own friends or anyone you know who may be interested in applying to the Civil Service Fast Stream (and if you are kind enough to make a purchase yourself, please do review as well as it makes all the difference! The book is exclusively available on Amazon Kindle).
Thanks guys!!!

Original post by Deus_Ex_Machina
Does the November 3rd deadline mean that you have to have completed all of the self-assessment/examination processes by that date?!?

No. You just need to be registered.
Original post by sr294
Hi All,

I'm one of the successful applicants from last year's Fast Stream application process, now working on my first posting!

I know you...
Reply 830
Just completed my e-tray...has anyone heard about results yet? Am i right in thinking the pass/fail boundaries haven't been set yet?
Yes the initial pass/fail marks have not been set yet, but will be very soon.
Reply 832
Thanks...i guess its just a waiting game now then. I found the email exercise rather difficult, so not going to be too hopeful :s-smilie:
I was eliminated at the test stage. I just found the Maths so hard, I didn't know any more than about 2 or 3 of the answers, and I just didn't know how to work out the percentages/ratio answers, can anyone advise practise strategies for Maths? Haven't done Maths since my C grade at GCSE. So disappointing :frown: Best of luck to everyone else.
Bbc bitesize
Reply 835
Last day for most applications to be started today.

Hopefully some of us will get etray results this week
Original post by Eboracum
I was eliminated at the test stage. I just found the Maths so hard, I didn't know any more than about 2 or 3 of the answers, and I just didn't know how to work out the percentages/ratio answers, can anyone advise practise strategies for Maths? Haven't done Maths since my C grade at GCSE. So disappointing :frown: Best of luck to everyone else.

http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/arithmetic/percentages/video

I found this video tutorial really useful, its pretty simple but covered all the stuff I'd forgotten from GCSE and had everything in it I found I needed for the numerical tests.
Original post by mandamoo92
http://www.mathtutor.ac.uk/arithmetic/percentages/video

I found this video tutorial really useful, its pretty simple but covered all the stuff I'd forgotten from GCSE and had everything in it I found I needed for the numerical tests.

Thanks, really kind of you. Good luck with your app.
You could hear your e-tray results this week if not, anytime right up to the end of December.
Reply 839
Where did you hear this from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending