The Student Room Group

10 signs you may be in a emotionally abusive relantionship

No matter how attractive, old or smart a person is, he or she can be a victim of emotional abuse. Here are some signs of an abusive partner or spouse. - See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=1

Isolates you
Emotionally abusive spouses want you all to themselves. They do not understand that you have a life outside of the relationship - one that includes family and friends. It is healthy and normal for you to hang out with other people as well, so if your partner prevents you from doing so, this may be a sign of an emotionally abusive relationship. - See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=2

Verbally abusive

If someone calls you derogatory names, even if they say they are joking, they mean to hurt you and keep you in line. Abusers sometimes cover themselves by blaming you, saying that you need to lighten up or that you are too sensitive. You are not too sensitive; you are feeling in your gut that this is not the way you should be treated.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=3

Blames Others

If your significant other always blames everything on someone else, namely you, this may be a bad sign. If he or she throws a tantrum or attacks you verbally, he or she will say it was because of you. It is not a sign of a healthy relationship if your partner never takes responsibility and never admits to being at fault.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=4

Alcohol and drug use

Not all abusers use drugs or drink excessive alcohol, but many do. An addiction can lead to erratic and innappropriate behavior. Substance abuse can be a gateway to emotional abuse and an unhealthy relationship.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=5

Instills fear
If you feel fear around your partner or spouse, there is something very wrong. Abusers may try to intimidate you with violence, dominance or power tactics. For example, intentionally putting you in possibly harmful situations, or showing you their gun collection and stating they are not afraid to use them. - See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=6

Punishes you for time away
This goes along with the isolation technique, where abusers want you all to themselves. If you do go somewhere or do something without your partner, or even if he or she goes along but others are also there, an emotional abuser will punish you later. An abuser may shout, insult, threaten or worse, all because you were not exclusively hanging out with him or her. - See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=7

Expects You to Be a Servant

An emotional abuser goes through life feeling entitled to be treated like royalty, and wants you to be a willing servant. He or she expects you to do everything and will not help at all.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=8

Is extremely jealous

A prominent trait of abusers is their jealousy. An abusive partner or spouse is often jealous of you, other people and even your dreams and goals. Their jealousy and rage over intangible things like your aspirations stem from the lack of control they feel over those aspects of your life.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=9

Controls you through emotions

An abuser is a grand manipulator and will sulk, threaten to leave, and emotionally punish you for not following their idea of how things should be. An abuser will try to make you feel guilty any time you exert your will and assert what is right for you. At times the abuser may appear to be apologetic and loving; the abuse begins again when the abuser feels he or she has your forgiveness.
- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/schizophrenia/cf/slideshows/10-signs-you-may-be-in-an-emotionally-abusive-relationship#slide=10
My boyfriend emotionally abuses me :frown: just found out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by afghan warrior
my boyfriend emotionally abuses me :frown: just found out.

posted from tsr mobile

girl then break up with him. Dont walk away. Run
Original post by JACKIEKENNEDY
girl then break up with him. Dont walk away. Run

How fast?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
When she tells you what to wear :facepalm:
When she says Men and Women are equal but never pays when we go out on dates.
Original post by Afghan Warrior

tonight. or when he leaves the house. today honey before he goes from emotional abuse to even physical abuse. stay strong. better update me cuz im worried about you
Reply 6
I know several people in relationships that exhibit many of those traits. What should they do?
tonight. or when he leaves the house. today honey before he goes from emotional abuse to even physical abuse. stay strong. better update me cuz im worried about you

Lol I was joking in my post, thought it was obvious when I said 'just found out'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My ex would always blame me for his actions never take responsibility he always saw his reaction to things as acceptable even though sometimes things were blown completely out of proportion or going over the top. Like if I'd say something not meaning to insult him but it did instead of just calming down he'd actually be fully offended and then call me really horrible derogatory names. However I can't say I didn't do a form of emotional abuse as often I'd try and make him feel guilty if he tried to leave me and things like that. We each have seen the error of our ways we weren't utterly abusive but every single relationship has an essence of manipulation anyway. If we get together again we aren't going to slip into bad habits. What I'm trying to say is emotional abuse can be subjective it depends on how mentally strong a person is
Original post by Tylerd94
My ex would always blame me for his actions never take responsibility he always saw his reaction to things as acceptable even though sometimes things were blown completely out of proportion or going over the top. Like if I'd say something not meaning to insult him but it did instead of just calming down he'd actually be fully offended and then call me really horrible derogatory names. However I can't say I didn't do a form of emotional abuse as often I'd try and make him feel guilty if he tried to leave me and things like that. We each have seen the error of our ways we weren't utterly abusive but every single relationship has an essence of manipulation anyway. If we get together again we aren't going to slip into bad habits. What I'm trying to say is emotional abuse can be subjective it depends on how mentally strong a person is

Er, what? No they don't...
Original post by TurboCretin
Er, what? No they don't...

Yes they do none is 100% open in relationships there are certain things we keep to ourselves in fear of what the other person may think about us. Girls put on make-up to appear more attractive. The buying of gifts to keep someone happy. So much goes into a relationship it's not huge essence of manipulation but you do intice someone to fall in love with you, at first you may never swear in front of your partner but later on that may happen at first you may alwats make the worlds biggest effort but kater you wear a tracksuit so yes relationships have tonnes of manipulation in them if you think abouy it whereas a friendship just happens lol don't trg to make someone be your friend but you try to make someone love you
Yes they do none is 100% open in relationships there are certain things we keep to ourselves in fear of what the other person may think about us. Girls put on make-up to appear more attractive. The buying of gifts to keep someone happy. So much goes into a relationship it's not huge essence of manipulation but you do intice someone to fall in love with you, at first you may never swear in front of your partner but later on that may happen at first you may alwats make the worlds biggest effort but kater you wear a tracksuit so yes relationships have tonnes of manipulation in them if you think abouy it whereas a friendship just happens lol don't trg to make someone be your friend but you try to make someone love you

You keep using that word, I don't think you understand what it means.
No matter how attractive, old or smart a person is, he or she can be a victim of emotional abuse. Here are some signs of an abusive partner or spouse.

So important that people read and spread things like this. Whilst physical abuse is terrible, it's perhaps easier to identify as it's more clear cut. Either he/she is physically hurting you or they aren't. Emotional abuse on the other hand can be so cleverly hidden by the abuser, somebody may not even know they are in an emotionally abusive relationship. We need much more talk around not just physical abuse but around what is not emotionally normal in a relationship and should ring alarm bells.

I only realised I had been in an emotionally abusive relationship around a year after it ended when I met somebody new and they didn't control me with their emotions, withdraw as punishment, expect me to be an extension of them, or constantly put me down. The previous relationship was my first serious relationship and I truly believed all these things were normal.

Key message everybody male or female needs to spread, especially to those getting into their first serious relationships who might have little experience of what is normal or not normal: even if he/she never lays a finger on you, a relationship can still be abusive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
You keep using that word, I don't think you understand what it means.

I'm fully aware as to what the word manipulate means it's to control or influence and with a relationship you are constantly influencing someones opinion on you, not just being friends with someone you are pursuing something more. Look you clearly have never been in a real relationship if you don't know they involve manipulation and lies, however I'm not saying these are manipulation ot lies for the wrong reasons you lie so you can give them a good surprise but love is very selfish you manipulate because you wany someone to love you they weren't going to just do it you had to push for the love yo come out fully and do even more so to make it remain
I'm fully aware as to what the word manipulate means it's to control or influence and with a relationship you are constantly influencing someones opinion on you, not just being friends with someone you are pursuing something more. Look you clearly have never been in a real relationship if you don't know they involve manipulation and lies, however I'm not saying these are manipulation ot lies for the wrong reasons you lie so you can give them a good surprise but love is very selfish you manipulate because you wany someone to love you they weren't going to just do it you had to push for the love yo come out fully and do even more so to make it remain

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB544GB544&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=manipulation%20vs%20influence

Just saying.

I have been in relationships yes, and I know that SOMETIMES they involve manipulation and lies, but the only time I experiences that was when I was in an abusive relationship. I have had healthy relationships that did not involve being manipulated.
Original post by SophieSmall
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB544GB544&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=manipulation%20vs%20influence

Just saying.

I have been in relationships yes, and I know that SOMETIMES they involve manipulation and lies, but the only time I experiences that was when I was in an abusive relationship. I have had healthy relationships that did not involve being manipulated.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/manipulate

"to control or influence a person or situation"

I'm looking at manipulation as not a bad thing I'm not talking about making someone bend to your every whim. But think about it even without someone directly manipulating you. You're manipulated everyday by society you dress up to look good for your man or woman because you know they'd be upset if you stopped making an effort you are manipulated into a certain role within that relationship you had a life without that person and now they have coerced you into taking a leading role within their life. They lie to you because they want to surprise you or not scare or upset you they won't tell you that you look fat even if you know you do and things like that. So don't tell me manipulation and lies aren't a natural part of each and every relationship because it is. None tell's everyone every single detail about themselves I would try to be 100% honest with my partner but there might be something I'm too ashamed of from my past to mention. It's not unhealthy to keep somethings to yourself. Think though if you were goint out somewhere you're partner might think you don't look presentable enough for the day you are meeting their parents or the day you are going to the work do so they say something. Relationships have very slight lies and manipulation without them a relationship would never last and although that is sad to say it's completely true.

Those are not examples of manipulation in anything but the most trivial sense. They all broadly fall into the category of 'making an effort for a person you like'. I don't know about you, but two years in I still dress up well to go out on dates with my girlfriend, and it's not because she's manipulating me into doing it or that I have reason to manipulate her. She knows what I look like in everyday clothing, it's not like I'm deceiving her.

You strike me as a likely troll, but I feel sorry for you if you genuinely hold this view.
Original post by TurboCretin
Those are not examples of manipulation in anything but the most trivial sense. They all broadly fall into the category of 'making an effort for a person you like'. I don't know about you, but two years in I still dress up well to go out on dates with my girlfriend, and it's not because she's manipulating me into doing it or that I have reason to manipulate her. She knows what I look like in everyday clothing, it's not like I'm deceiving her.

You strike me as a likely troll, but I feel sorry for you if you genuinely hold this view.

Well I'm not a troll I just suppose there is manipulation on higher instances. There is no need to feel sorry for me I've never been manipulated and I've never done it either. I just didn't know how to explain myself other than to say manipulation happens in relationships but no I didn't mean in a controlling sense or anything like that and like I said the only lies I think arw alright are when you are trying to surprise your partner so keep secrets. I was just saying do you dress up for you or for her we dress up because we feel we should not always because we want to although I do love looking my best. I didn't know how to word what I was trying to say is all lol but I certainly don't believe manipulation in the truest sense of the word is right in anyway at all
What I've been trying to say is that there are many things you have to do in order to help start a relationship someone may already love you but there arw certain things you have to do in order to maintain that love and Lies well I mean most parents lie to childreb about: Santa, tooth fairy etc.
No matter how big or small lies happen even if they are with good intentions and no matter what manipulation does happen in relationships whethet you call it 'influence' or something else that is still a form of manipulation even if you are influencing good behavior
Reply 19
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Lol I was joking in my post, thought it was obvious when I said 'just found out'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would never emotionally abuse you, you're so precious to me :kiss2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending