The Student Room Group

Can I appeal capped grades? If so, how long do I have?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, please?

I have had severe mental health problems and weeks before finishing my degree, I dropped out due to certain circumstances that were pretty shocking. I didn't hand in the work for my 3 remaining modules, even though I'd done the majority of the work.

I thought I'd have to fight to get back into Uni to finish off my degree. But before I did, I got a letter saying about dates/ classes for the modules to re-sit them. I wasn't told that my grades would be capped. Perhaps I should have known this information anyway?

I have always got top grades throughout college & uni. I worked my ass off despite my difficulties. But I just couldn't cope any more. So granted, lecturers may have mentioned in the past about capped grades, but I know I didn't really listen to things like late assignments, thinking that I didn't need to know. I understand if you're thinking I'm an idiot.

So I returned to Uni & re-did my 3 modules. Then I got my results & saw that they were all at 40. So I realised that they must have been capped. I got a 2:2.

The Master's Degree that I really want to do requires at least a 2:1. However, Universities will accept a 2:2 if I have relevant experience. I'm beginning to work on that by doing a lot of voluntary work to cover different areas & then I will do relevant paid work. I'm going to build up a portfolio for a couple of years before I apply. I would like to stay in my city to go to Uni, but if I accepted by somewhere further, then of course I will travel or possibly move.

I got my degree last year. I really want to appeal about being capped. I have evidence from doctors & emails from lecturers about what was going on at the time. But can I even apply about being capped? And have I left it way too late?

I know I've left it so long. But I just get so hurt when I think about my grade, knowing I put so much hard work into it. I was a top student for so many years. And I feel like it keeps affecting my career. And I can't even apply for graduate jobs in any field because they tend to ask for at least a 2:1.

And also, I was still not well when I re-sat them. So who's to say they wouldn't have been a crappy mark anyway? :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by janninev866
I got my degree last year. I really want to appeal about being capped. I have evidence from doctors & emails from lecturers about what was going on at the time. But can I even apply about being capped? And have I left it way too late?

I'm sorry yes, it's far too late to appeal.

It does sound like you would have had grounds for mitigating circumstances during your course. The irony is that this was the point at which you were thinking least clearly, so I suspect that kind of thing wasn't the biggest problem in your life.

It's a nuisance about the Masters, but it does sound like you have a strategy. It's also one which I know will work - two of my undergrad colleagues started with 2:2s on PGDip courses and both graduated with a full Masters.
Reply 2
Hi, thank you for your reply. I suppose there was no harm in asking. I've not lost anything by asking.

Yes, you're completely right. At that point in my life, my degree wasn't the most important thing in my life any more. I could barely make it through the day. I had gone from having so much passion to just nothing.

Thank you for giving me hope about the Master's. It's my plan B & I MUST make it work. There is nothing else I could imagine doing with my life. I will keep going! :smile: I must be as positive as possible! :smile: And it could have been worse, I could have ended up with lower than a 2:2 and therefore would have no chances to get onto the Master's. I really feel for people going through that.

Again, thank you!
You've got nothing to lose by appealing.

If you feel they've royally made a mistake that's effecting you tremendously then yes, say something.

I am of the opinion that a 2:2 isn't a barrier to getting on in life but that's just my bias
Reply 4
Original post by laurakate1988
You've got nothing to lose by appealing.

If you feel they've royally made a mistake that's effecting you tremendously then yes, say something.

I am of the opinion that a 2:2 isn't a barrier to getting on in life but that's just my bias

It's very unlikely that there's an appeals mechanism this far past completion. And from what the OP has said, there doesn't appear to have been an error on the part of the uni.

There were grounds for Mitigating Circumstances during the course, but the OP (understandably) didn't submit them and so they were treated in the normal way when they failed to complete their modules. It may have been possible to appeal that decision at the time, but the OP is now more than a year past that point. The uni behaved entirely correctly, given that they were unaware of the OP's circumstances.

It's very unlikely that the OP *wasn't* told that retakes would be capped, as that is standard (at least it is in every uni I've been in contact with). There would have been a case to have the retakes uncapped, but again, the OP didn't submit Mirigating Circumstances and was treated the same as other retaking students.

The uni can only make decisions based on information and evidence which it's given. Sadly in this case, the OP wasn't in a state to supply it or ask for help to go through the Mitigating Circumstances process. This is very unfortunate, but not something that can be remedied in retrospect.

As per my previous post, I share your view that a 2:2 can still take the OP where they need to go. I wouldn'tt recommend taking the notion of an appeal any further, given that it's potentially a return to a highly stressful situation.
I'd appeal on the basis that the energy taken to appeal is probably less than that of continuing to think "what if?"
There's no process of appeal post graduation. Graduation is the acceptance of the outcome of your degree. If you have any qualms at that point you should stop the graduation. There's simply no such process as appealing now, you could just as effectively write a letter to Father Christmas.

Quick Reply

Latest