The Student Room Group

HELP! How to memorise Spanish Speaking Draft Quickly?

I have a speaking exam, which is worth 15% of my final grade, on Monday.
I've pretty much done rubbish, in my all controlled assessments in Year 10, so I would like to do better in Year 11.

I have five paragraphs to remember.
So far, I've memorized two.
I need to memorize the other three tomorrow.
The only thing, is how do I memorize the paragraphs quickly? It takes me like three hours for for each paragraph, and it really does annoy me as it gets so boring.
I basically just read small sections over and over, till I remember it. I keep doing it, until I finish the paragraph.
Are there any other ways to memorize paragraphs quickly which don't involve writing?

Also, how do I prevent my self from getting bored from memorizing, so I don't procrastinate?

Help, will be appreciated. Thank you very much. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Try doing what I did for French and German.

Learn a paragraph, record yourself saying it. (without looking at words)
Play it back, when you're satisfied, move on.
Learn the second paragraph and then record from the start to the end of the second paragraph.
Repeat with all paragraphs.
In the end you should (hopefully) be able to recite it from start to finish.
Maybe use some prompt words if it is too hard but try to get rid of them by the end.
Reply 2
Original post by JamesJones777
Try doing what I did for French and German.

Learn a paragraph, record yourself saying it. (without looking at words)
Play it back, when you're satisfied, move on.
Learn the second paragraph and then record from the start to the end of the second paragraph.
Repeat with all paragraphs.
In the end you should (hopefully) be able to recite it from start to finish.
Maybe use some prompt words if it is too hard but try to get rid of them by the end.

How did you learn the paragraph?
Did you read and read?
In small sections?
How long did it take?
Original post by Grade
I have a speaking exam, which is worth 15% of my final grade, on Monday.
I've pretty much done rubbish, in my all controlled assessments in Year 10, so I would like to do better in Year 11.

I have five paragraphs to remember.
So far, I've memorized two.
I need to memorize the other three tomorrow.
The only thing, is how do I memorize the paragraphs quickly? It takes me like three hours for for each paragraph, and it really does annoy me as it gets so boring.
I basically just read small sections over and over, till I remember it. I keep doing it, until I finish the paragraph.
Are there any other ways to memorize paragraphs quickly which don't involve writing?

Also, how do I prevent my self from getting bored from memorizing, so I don't procrastinate?

Help, will be appreciated. Thank you very much. :smile:

Do you know what everything in your draft actually means? One of the top reasons people have difficulty memorising foreign text is when they don't actually know what some of it means. It's like the difference between me asking you right now to memorise the sentence "I like cats" or the sentence "sgysyds trtafa dwfjdfk ggas". You're going to find it much easier to memorise "I like cats" because you know what it means.

Something helpful can be to write the English meanings of your sentences above the Spanish on your draft and make sure whenever you're practising the Spanish, you know what it means. Then when you draw a blank you won't think "oh crap what comes next?" but "oh it's the part about where I'm going on holiday next year now" (or whatever your topic is). It's all about making little associations here and there to help you remember what comes next.
Trust me on this, make it into a song. So much easier to learn, it's how I learned for my French.
Reply 5
Original post by moutonfou
Do you know what everything in your draft actually means? One of the top reasons people have difficulty memorising foreign text is when they don't actually know what some of it means. It's like the difference between me asking you right now to memorise the sentence "I like cats" or the sentence "sgysyds trtafa dwfjdfk ggas". You're going to find it much easier to memorise "I like cats" because you know what it means.

Something helpful can be to write the English meanings of your sentences above the Spanish on your draft and make sure whenever you're practising the Spanish, you know what it means. Then when you draw a blank you won't think "oh crap what comes next?" but "oh it's the part about where I'm going on holiday next year now" (or whatever your topic is). It's all about making little associations here and there to help you remember what comes next.

You make a good point, which is why I know what it means in English.
But that still doesn't help, as you need to know how to say it in Spanish, and you tend to forget little things.
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
Trust me on this, make it into a song. So much easier to learn, it's how I learned for my French.

Like memorizing it in a certain tune?
Original post by Grade
Like memorizing it in a certain tune?

Yeah it can really help, I mean think of it like this you learn song ,lyrics really easy right? But you don't remember poems. You have to add like a tune or a beat and it works like magic.
Reply 8
I find that it helps if I read the paragraphs out loud, starting from the beginning each time I memorise a new sentence, especially for a speaking assessment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
memorisenow.com is really awesome. You type in the paragraph you want to learn, read it out. Press the button, it removes a few words, read it out again. So on and so forth until it's removed everything and you're just speaking it out! Good luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending