The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh or St Andrews? I'm an international student.

Hi everyone :smile:

I'm struggling to choose between these two atm, both have their pros and cons. Initially Edinburgh was my first choice, but I didn't like the atmosphere at the Open Day.. But the city is beautiful. I LOVE St Andrews, I lived there for three weeks when I stayed in the international summer school, but I've heard that finding accomodation is a nightmare after your first year. I'm quite shy, not a party person - maybe StA is a better place for me? On the other hand I'm not posh, will I fit in?

I'm going to do International Foundation Programme, then I want to do English. I come outside the EU and I do want to find a decent job in UK or Europe after uni, so are rankings important? (they are quite controversial tbh)

Pls share your experience!
There definitely are a lot of posh and party type people at St Andrews, its a big part of the culture. You will definitely be able to find people who don't party, but many events will involve partying or drinking.

I would recommend Edinburgh, its actually better for shy people to study in a larger city I believe because its more anonymous, you will have more to do than just go to house parties, the union.

Why do you like St Andrews? Is it because you like the architecture? St Andrews is quite small, in my opinion its a bit boring, not a place I would want to spend more than 2 years at.

Finding a job wise, there won't be any difference between St Andrews or Edinburgh.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Okorange
There definitely are a lot of posh and party type people at St Andrews, its a big part of the culture. You will definitely be able to find people who don't party, but many events will involve partying or drinking.

I would recommend Edinburgh, its actually better for shy people to study in a larger city I believe because its more anonymous, you will have more to do than just go to house parties, the union.

Why do you like St Andrews? Is it because you like the architecture? St Andrews is quite small, in my opinion its a bit boring, not a place I would want to spend more than 2 years at.

Finding a job wise, there won't be any difference between St Andrews or Edinburgh.

Nope, I don't like St Andrews because of the architecture, actually Edinburgh seems to be far more beautiful. I just love small cities, and I felt at home in StA. I had an opportunity to look at facilities both in Edinburgh and St Andrews, and I liked the latter more.. Edinburgh uni felt a bit overwhelming for me :s-smilie: And I like modules in StA more than I like them in Edinburgh. Basically, my heart is set on StA in terms of atmosphere, union, modules, etc. The only thing that puts me off is the thought I won't fit in.

I'm not against small house parties, but I don't like noisy and big ones. And I have a strong fear that I will be looked down at and won't find any friends.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arinagrantaire
Nope, I don't like St Andrews because of the architecture, actually Edinburgh seems to be far more beautiful. I just love small cities, and I felt at home in StA. I had an opportunity to look at facilities both in Edinburgh and St Andrews, and I liked the latter more.. Edinburgh uni felt a bit overwhelming for me :s-smilie: And I like modules in StA more than I like them in Edinburgh. Basically, my heart is set on StA in terms of atmosphere, union, modules, etc. The only thing that puts me off is the thought I won't fit in.

I'm not against small house parties, but I don't like noisy and big ones. And I have a strong fear that I will be looked down at and won't find any friends.

You'll find friends, but yes I do know people who liked a smaller town, were international students came here and now are not so sure they want to spend 4 years here.

You'll make friends for sure, but a lot of international students will find it difficult to make friends with brits because of cultural barriers. They are usually open, but depending on where you are from it may not be so easy to adapt. Do you consider yourself to be a very open person? You said you were shy, so i'm not sure.

I think with St Andrews, a lot of internationals end up hanging around with other internationals, from their own home country or from other countries.

If you are the type that doesn't mind being at the periphery then St Andrews is good for that because the university's social events are still mainly geared towards the outgoing, drinking type rather than the quiet stay at home, loud noises are uncomfortable type. Likely not different anywhere else, but at least with a larger city you'll find other things to do.

From my experience, the shy and quiet type usually doesn't like St Andrews after a while. How long is your course, 4 years or 5? What country are you from?
(edited 9 years ago)
You'll find friends, but yes I do know people who liked a smaller town, were international students came here and now are not so sure they want to spend 4 years here.

You'll make friends for sure, but a lot of international students will find it difficult to make friends with brits because of cultural barriers. They are usually open, but depending on where you are from it may not be so easy to adapt. Do you consider yourself to be a very open person? You said you were shy, so i'm not sure.

I think with St Andrews, a lot of internationals end up hanging around with other internationals, from their own home country or from other countries.

If you are the type that doesn't mind being at the periphery then St Andrews is good for that because the university's social events are still mainly geared towards the outgoing, drinking type rather than the quiet stay at home, loud noises are uncomfortable type. Likely not different anywhere else, but at least with a larger city you'll find other things to do.

From my experience, the shy and quiet type usually doesn't like St Andrews after a while. How long is your course, 4 years or 5? What country are you from?

I can be quite open after a feel that I'm comfortable with people, but at first I'm shy, yeah. Judging from my international summer school experience, I can adapt fast and be loud and outgoing, but everyone there was really friendly, so.. I don't mind having a drink with my friends, but I definitely don't want to get wasted. Neither do I want drinking to be necessary to adapt.

And I would love to have British friends, because I want to broaden my mind in terms of cultures and all this stuff. And I just like British people! :smile:

My course plus foundation programme will be 5 years long and I am from Russia.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by arinagrantaire
I can be quite open after a feel that I'm comfortable with people, but at first I'm shy, yeah. Judging from my international summer school experience, I can adapt fast, but everyone there was really friendly, so..

And I would love to have British friends, because I want to broaden my mind in terms of cultures and all this stuff. And I just like British people! :smile:

My course plus foundation programme will be 5 years long and I am from Russia.

I see, I think if you are very open to new things and you also like British culture you will be fine with St Andrews. 5 years is still a very long time, but I think its up to you to decide. Worst comes to worse you can leave after the foundation year right and apply to a different university? If that is true, then it might be a good plan.
I see, I think if you are very open to new things and you also like British culture you will be fine with St Andrews. 5 years is still a very long time, but I think its up to you to decide. Worst comes to worse you can leave after the foundation year right and apply to a different university? If that is true, then it might be a good plan.

Yes, I can leave after a year. My interest in British culture is one of the main reasons why I chose to come to UK, so the thing you said is reassuring :smile:
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending