The Student Room Group

Guy walks for 3 Hours in NYC gets "sexually Harassed"

[video="youtube;75aX9mlipiY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY[/video]

Does Sexual harassment just happen to women or both sexes? discuss

Scroll to see replies

even though most victims of sexual harassment are women, we cannot ignore and dismiss the male victims.
I'm glad he posted it this, because whilst it's not as common for guys it still happens and everyone was sick of the 'boohoo all men are monsters' rubbish that gets touted out when women do this too. If this is considered a problem, then it's a human problem not a gender one.

This is another more famous one:

The bottom line is complaining and blaming it on one gender like most TSRians did for the other video is actually pretty out of date sexism.
So the bottom line is, new yorkers can't keep their opinions to themselves
Original post by Architecture-er
So the bottom line is, new yorkers can't keep their opinions to themselves

Someone in the thread from the other video made the assertion that New Yorkers were completely insular, rarely interacted with others, and kept to themselves.

Americans telling things like this to English people :rolleyes:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm glad he posted it this, because whilst it's not as common for guys it still happens and everyone was sick of the 'boohoo all men are monsters' rubbish that gets touted out when women do this too. If this is considered a problem, then it's a human problem not a gender one.

The bottom line is complaining and blaming it on one gender like most TSRians did for the other video is actually pretty out of date sexism.

Right I hate this video. The woman aren't staring at his dick, maybe some of them are, but for most their eyes are just going down... As believe it or not, eyes naturally do.

And the woman certainly isn't filming/ taking a pic of his crotch. It's probably the most bull ****e video I have ever seen.

But I do agree with your first paragraph.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TolerantBeing
Right I hate this video. The woman aren't staring at his dick, maybe some of them are, but for most their eyes are just going down... As believe it or not, eyes naturally do.

And the woman certainly isn't filming/ taking a pic of his crotch. It's probably the most bull ****e video I have ever seen.

Most of the videos that deliberately try to provoke antagonism between genders are complete bull ****. :dontknow:

But when as a guy you can't spend 10minutes on here without reading some drivel about all men need to stop being so monstrous, it's only fair that the equally bull **** videos from the other side are brought out.

Human problem. not a gender problem. :yep:
Most of the videos that deliberately try to provoke antagonism between genders are complete bull ****. :dontknow:

But when as a guy you can't spend 10minutes on here without reading some drivel about all men need to stop being so monstrous, it's only fair that the equally bull **** videos from the other side are brought out.

I agree with what you actually said in the post but that video just winds me up.
Original post by Yemiisii
[video="youtube;75aX9mlipiY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY[/video]

I knew it happened to both sexes but wow never seen it in action to a guy or known a guy that it's happened to, personally if they got that attention from girls the guys i know would have a huge ego boost, all i know is i've only ever come across it and other girls i know, maybe boys just keep quiet about it because it's not seen as normal for a guy to be treated like that? But as for getting groped, etc i don't think that happens much to guys but in my experience it defiantly happens regularly with girls, just last week a guy grabbed my butt and on that same day the same thing happened to my friend, shows how common it is for girls and women. It may well happen to guys but because of the society we live in they may not feel comfortable to talk about it, so the issue is not as well known as it should be.
Saying sexual harassment only happens to women is like saying only women can be victims of domestic abuse.

As it happens, females may suffer more regularly, but it's a problem for both sexes which can't be ignored.

Yes, completely agree with you. Though these videos are merely a vague examination of 'harassment' between genders, it seems to me that men are more often depicted as the the sole instigator of sexual harassment, especially by these pseudo feminists who think they are making a change. Rant over

I guess guys don't see it as sexual harassment? I mean if i'm honest every guy i know would love the attention and wouldn't mind because that's how they're wired, they find it a compliment whereas women find it creepy getting stared at by random weirdo's, i've never come across a guy that doesn't like it, but yes in this big world, there must be guys that feel just like girls in that kind of situation.
Original post by Yemiisii

at least half of this sexual harrassment in the video came from men - presumably homosexuals - so does it mean men are most likely to harrass in general
Original post by femalebosszee
I guess guys don't see it as sexual harassment? I mean if i'm honest every guy i know would love the attention and wouldn't mind because that's how they're wired, they find it a compliment whereas women find it creepy getting stared at by random weirdo's, i've never come across a guy that doesn't like it, but yes in this big world, there must be guys that feel just like girls in that kind of situation.

I guess girls don't see it as sexual harassment? I mean if i'm honest every girl i know would love the attention and wouldn't mind because that's how they're wired, they find it a compliment whereas men find it creepy getting stared at by random weirdo's, i've never come across a girl that doesn't like it, but yes in this big world, there must be girls that feel just like guys in that kind of situation.

I'm struggling to keep up with your gender dividing here, as simply changing the word guy->girl in your post turns it into a classic victim blaming thing that would get ripped to shreds by the usual #TSR Feminist crew.

I hear what you're saying though, there's definitely a degree of that. But it's a constructed division, there's no biochemical reason for guys to love the attention and girls to hate it, only a primitive tribal socio evolutionary one.
(edited 9 years ago)
It is a human problem, I agree, and we shouldn't put the blame on one male gender. However, the obvious problem is that a significant amount of women find catcalling at best offensive and at worst frightening and threatening - men are on the whole more likely to feel pleased or complimented if they're 'harassed' in the street like that. In my opinion men are more visual and more likely to express their attraction without thinking, but obviously this doesn't make it ok, especially if they're making women feel unsafe. Either way, the issue needs to be addressed as part of the wider campaign against sexual objectification and in this case encouraging plain decency and tact! A lot of the people in this video need to think twice about the effect it might have to shout at someone attractive on the street like that, whatever their intentions :P
Reply 15
Define sexual harassment.
Cba to watch the video but if it involves women making sexual comments it is NOT a particularly valid analogue of sexual harassment.

The male version of sexual harassment is men shouting comments at you from cars, barging into you on the street, etc. It's about intimidation in both cases. And it is mainly a class issue, i.e. people who get **** on in most of the rest of their life taking out their frustration.

It happens more to women because:
1. Men are not guaranteed easy targets, even a skinny weedy looking guy may be able to hurt you.
2. Women have something the harassers wish they could have, so it is a flashpoint for their frustration. These are not high value men who routinely get to sleep with high value women. Sex is a very strong vehicle for harassment.

It's a huge mistake to see it as a gender issue. It's a class issue. It can be tackled as a gender issue but you will constantly be fighting a guerrilla war against harassers and alienating decent men. It needs to be tackled at the root which involves a class approach and will take generations and involve empathising with harassers, so I don’t hold out much hope.

It's worth noting that "harassment" just means "aggressive pressure and intimidation", which clearly can happen to both sexes, just sex is available as a vehicle for doing it to women.
Be a good looking guy and compliment a woman randomly on the street - confident, assertive and spontaneous.

Be average looking or worse and compliment a woman randomly on the street - creep, harassment and jail.

LOL. This video proves that the only thing women go for is an 8/10 or above male model types.

Thus we should never take women's complaints seriously and must strive to establish an order where men don't need women as they only go for male models.
(edited 9 years ago)
how do i become this guy
Take a look - guy walks around NYC for 10 hrs (very interesting)

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/10/31/walking-nyc-man-funnyordie-response

Quick Reply

Latest