The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I'm extremely worried about getting through to the 2nd pre-interview round :frown:

44 out of 52, what do we think guys?
Reply 321
Original post by hukdealz
I'm extremely worried about getting through to the 2nd pre-interview round :frown:

I have 43 :frown:

Original post by joolsm
I have 43 :frown:

This year has been an extremely low ukcat year, I think the cut off will be a bit lower than it has been in previous years, I honestly wouldn't worry about your chances because you never know how everyone else did this year. I got 45 and I'm hopeful I'll be over the cut off score, you only need to be better than half the people applying :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by (Patrick)
This year has been an extremely low ukcat year, I think the cut off will be a bit lower than it has been in previous years, I honestly wouldn't worry about your chances because you never know how everyone else did this year. I got 45 and I'm hopeful I'll be over the cut off score, you only need to be better than half the people applying :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

looking through last years stalking page, the lowest UKCAT which got someone an interview was 745. The average UKCAT score is 35 points lower than it was last year, which brings it down to 715.

This equates to 32 out of 36, and assuming you needed full academics, that is 48 out of 52.

I can't see it being anywhere below 47 or 46 at a push
Original post by (Patrick)

Posted from TSR Mobile

actually, take back what I said. I've heard that the number of Nottingham a100 applicants has sharply fallen this year.

has anybody got any stats for numbers of applications?
Reply 325
actually, take back what I said. I've heard that the number of Nottingham a100 applicants has sharply fallen this year.

has anybody got any stats for numbers of applications?

Just over 2400 applicants, down from 2700ish last year, so a sight drop but not dramatic in the way that Leeds is.
Original post by joolsm
Just over 2400 applicants, down from 2700ish last year, so a sight drop but not dramatic in the way that Leeds is.

a 10% drop is surprising, considering medicine on the whole gets more competitive year on year.

The drop in applications to leeds is explainable by the switch to BMAT, do we have any reasons for the drop in applications to Nottingham? Is it because people got lower UKCAT scores than they were expecting, so decided not to apply to a UKCAT heavy university?
looking through last years stalking page, the lowest UKCAT which got someone an interview was 745. The average UKCAT score is 35 points lower than it was last year, which brings it down to 715.

This equates to 32 out of 36, and assuming you needed full academics, that is 48 out of 52.

I think you're overestimating: 715 doesn't necessarily equate to 32 out of 36. It could even equate to 29 depending on the subsections. I think 45 would be a closer guess at the cut off.
Reply 328
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I think you're overestimating: 715 doesn't necessarily equate to 32 out of 36. It could even equate to 29 depending on the subsections. I think 45 would be a closer guess at the cut off.

Plus, average ukcat is down by more than 35, I think it's more like 50?
Original post by joolsm
Plus, average ukcat is down by more than 35, I think it's more like 50?

the average last year was 660, the average the year this year is 625 i.e. difference of 30 points

but if you look at the decile range, the 80th decile score is 677.5 this year, but 727.5- a difference of 50 points

I think the cut off will be 44/45 for round one, but that score won't be sufficient to get through round 2 to get an interview

that's not true! I got an interview with 707.5 last year.
Original post by Nottie

I apologise to all, I just realised that I was looking at Newcastle. The stalking page needs fixing, because when I click on Nottingham, it takes me to newcastle.

The lowest UKCAT was in fact 680, with 8A*s at GCSE. This applicant must have had an exceptional personal statement, however.

Can I ask when your interview was, Nottie. It seems to me that applicants with the highest scores are interviewed first.
Reply 332

I got a UKCAT score of 725- in the top decile of UKCAT takers this cycle...which gave me 30/36 and then I have full academics..so 46/52

Are you saying you think I will be cut off..?
Reply 333
Original post by Nottie

Did they operate a points system for ukcat last year? 2 of my UKCAT sections are 690, which is effectively the same as 601 on the points system - so unfair! I can't find any reference to points in previous years, was wondering if it is new :smile:
Original post by joolsm
Did they operate a points system for ukcat last year? 2 of my UKCAT sections are 690, which is effectively the same as 601 on the points system - so unfair! I can't find any reference to points in previous years, was wondering if it is new :smile:

out of curiosity, what was your overall score and how many points did you get?
Original post by eglande
I got a UKCAT score of 725- in the top decile of UKCAT takers this cycle...which gave me 30/36 and then I have full academics..so 46/52

Are you saying you think I will be cut off..?

if you read my latest comments, I was referring to the wrong data set- a mistake on my behalf so I apologise.

You will definitely get through pre interview stage 1 (i.e. the stage out of 52), however, the quality of your personal statement will ultimately determine whether or not you get an interview.
Reply 336
out of curiosity, what was your overall score and how many points did you get?

My overall score is 2760 (average 690) . I get 29 points for ukcat (3 scores in the 600's, one in the 700's). Potentially I think someone with the same overall ukcat as me could get 2 points more, or one point less.
Anyway, I knew all this when I chose to apply, so no point stressing about it now!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joolsm
My overall score is 2760 (average 690) . I get 29 points for ukcat (3 scores in the 600's, one in the 700's). Potentially I think someone with the same overall ukcat as me could get 2 points more, or one point less.

mine is 680, and I got 29 too (one in the 500s, one in the 800s, and 2 in the 600s).

That's exactly what I don't like about the system, someone who gets the same overall score as you could be in a more advantaged position and it's just down to luck as to what you get in the individual sections- a higher score on the Nottingham scale doesn't actually show a better UKCAT performance.
I apologise to all, I just realised that I was looking at Newcastle. The stalking page needs fixing, because when I click on Nottingham, it takes me to newcastle.

The lowest UKCAT was in fact 680, with 8A*s at GCSE. This applicant must have had an exceptional personal statement, however.

Can I ask when your interview was, Nottie. It seems to me that applicants with the highest scores are interviewed first.

First batch went out just before Christmas last year. I got my invite around the end of January but then got an early offer.

Original post by joolsm

No idea. Tbh I had no idea how Nottingham system worked last year, I just applied cause my mum told me to
Please may someone send me the link for the scoring system this year/ explain how it is done? i would like to calculate my score :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending