The Student Room Group

Can I take a gap year and apply to Oxbridge?

I'm in my last year of school in Scotland, have straight As in all of my exams and am taking a rigorous combination of subjects at the moment. It never occurred to me that I could apply for Oxbridge and have a chance of getting in, but through various things I am now meeting more and more people who are of similar (sometimes lower) academic ability to me and are applying and probably likely to get places. I discussed the possibility of applying with my family and my dad was so dead set against the idea of me going to Oxford or Cambridge because he thought I'd become a snob that I ended up abandoning the idea. However, I feel deep regret that I didn't even give myself the chance of attending either. In some ways it's harder having not applied than it would have been if I was rejected.

Can I take a gap year and reapply? Is this common for students at Oxbridge? For some reason I feel most of them enter straight from school and this may be looked down upon.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most of them for medicine have to take a gap year to get the all rounder persona ready, some time volunteering in a hospital for example and building some knowledge to survive the interviews. As far as I know straight in entries are rare.
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I'm in my last year of school in Scotland, have straight As in all of my exams and am taking a rigorous combination of subjects at the moment. It never occurred to me that I could apply for Oxbridge and have a chance of getting in, but through various things I am now meeting more and more people who are of similar (sometimes lower) academic ability to me and are applying and probably likely to get places. I discussed the possibility of applying with my family and my dad was so dead set against the idea of me going to Oxford or Cambridge because he thought I'd become a snob that I ended up abandoning the idea. However, I feel deep regret that I didn't even give myself the chance of attending either. In some ways it's harder having not applied than it would have been if I was rejected.

Can I take a gap year and reapply? Is this common for students at Oxbridge? For some reason I feel most of them enter straight from school and this may be looked down upon.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject do you want to study? If it's maths, you'll find it very hard to get an offer after a gap year, unless you can prove that you've been making sure throughout the year that you still remember the maths you did. That's the only subject I know about, I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, do take a gap year and make the most of it in terms of relevant experience, and then reapply. Even if you get a rejection, you will know that you at least gave yourself a chance. Do not let your parents' emotional limitations hold you back.
Reply 4

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's common, yes, although the majority of people won't have taken a gap year, it won't put you at a disadvantage at all (except for maths :tongue:)
Thank you for all of your responses!

What about for English Literature or history? Will a gap year put me at a disadvantage for these subjects? I can't imagine many related things I could fill a gap year with bar working in a museum! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for all of your responses!

What about for English Literature or history? Will a gap year put me at a disadvantage for these subjects? I can't imagine many related things I could fill a gap year with bar working in a museum! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be fine.

Well you could spend all that year reading and reading!

Novels, historical texts, poems, everything!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Should be fine.

Well you could spend all that year reading and reading!

Novels, historical texts, poems, everything!

That sounds quite appealing actually :colondollar: But I would want to do something with my time, so maybe teaching English abroad would be a good idea. I'm hesitant just to get a job in a supermarket and spend the full year doing little productive! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds quite appealing actually :colondollar: But I would want to do something with my time, so maybe teaching English abroad would be a good idea. I'm hesitant just to get a job in a supermarket and spend the full year doing little productive! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teaching English abroad would be fantastic.
Is taking a gap year worth the risk of not getting in? I always find it hard to gauge how hard exactly it is to get into Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Most of them for medicine have to take a gap year to get the all rounder persona ready, some time volunteering in a hospital for example and building some knowledge to survive the interviews. As far as I know straight in entries are rare.

What's your evidence for this rather unlikely claim? By far the majority of Oxford medics I know went straight from school to university. The knowledge you need for interviews comes from your A level courses and volunteering can be done in the evening / at weekends / during school holidays.

Thanks in advance.

So do you have a place to study medicine currently? And you want to reject that for Oxford? Medicine is hard to get into at all - even if you were dead set on wanting the Oxford course, i'd think long and hard before turning down such an achievement.

People do have gap years yes and its fine. Just don't waste the year.

Its a bit weird that your father doesn't trust you to not "become a snob", whatever his perception of Oxford is.

As far as I know straight in entries are rare.

The vast majority are straight entries. Of the 3 medics in my house now spanning two year groups we know of 0 who applied twice. Admittedly I can't find any data though - not sure they're necessarily kept.
(edited 9 years ago)

I definitely don't think straight in entries are "rare".
Original post by nexttime
So do you have a place to study medicine currently? And you want to reject that for Oxford? Medicine is hard to get into at all - even if you were dead set on wanting the Oxford course, i'd think long and hard before turning down such an achievement.

I want to apply for English; this account is from about three years ago.

Its a bit weird that your father doesn't trust you to not "become a snob", whatever his perception of Oxford is.

"A bit weird"….helpful
"A bit weird"….helpful

You mentioned it, not me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
You mentioned it, not me.

To give some background to my predicament, yes, but saying "Oh that's a bit weird" isn't exactly constructive; it's not even advice :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending