The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Warwick is like ultimate campus uni, like nottingham but sort of even more so because the closest city is Coventry and that's not exactly a massive city
It's nothing like Manchester uni from what I can remember of manc, that's like all across a main road isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Manchester uni is all across a main road.Love places like that.So I should take Warwick out of my list then?I hate campus unis.What about Bath,KCL,Bristol and UCL?
Original post by Skill Twix
Yes Manchester uni is all across a main road.Love places like that.So I should take Warwick out of my list then?I hate campus unis.What about Bath,KCL,Bristol and UCL?

Warwick and bath are super campus-y like it's a fair distance to each city

Bristol is a beautiful city really nice and not a campus uni ahah

UCL and KCL are both London but UCL is more highly regarded for econ imo

Really I'd say you need to decide between London and Bristol which city you prefer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick and bath are super campus-y like it's a fair distance to each city

Bristol is a beautiful city really nice and not a campus uni ahah

UCL and KCL are both London but UCL is more highly regarded for econ imo

Really I'd say you need to decide between London and Bristol which city you prefer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I have my choices then.For my A* AA universities,I'll apply to either KCL/UCL and Bristol.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_Campus_Unis_in_the_UK
You might want to have a look at this!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Skill Twix
I think I have my choices then.For my A* AA universities,I'll apply to either KCL/UCL and Bristol.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_Campus_Unis_in_the_UK
You might want to have a look at this!

I like how I've applied to 3 on that list and 2 collegiate ahahaha, I'm not ready for the big wide world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aso816
Yeah pretty sure warwick offers summer internship connections with large firms, but i am not sure how competitive is warwick (i mean the ratio of successful application to total applications) My AS results are 4As and 1B with A*3As prediction
Do you think my choices are too risky tho?

I don't think so? Warwick's econ course is 3 years so it's not like Bath where you can do a placement year. However, Warwick is targeted by banks so in that sense yes.

Original post by oreoenthusiast
For those who have applied to Oxbridge: how is everyone preparing for interviews?

The more I think about potentially getting an interview, the more scared I am & the more I can't stop procrastinating!!

Read The Economist and practice your maths and you're good to go. Literally there is no point worrying about it. The 'interview' is more of a conversation and thinking back on it now, i don't know why i was so worried. This isn't an excuse to underprepare though!

Original post by JAthwal1
Hi everyone,

I just wanted people's opinions on whether I am likely to get offers from Bath (twice), Bristol, Nottingham, UCL.
My AS grades are AAAB in Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
A2 predictions are A*A*A in Economics, Maths and FM.

You'll probably get all/all but one with UCL the hardest.
Haven't checked track all week. I know I haven't got an offer. Admissions tutors hate economists!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Haven't checked track all week. I know I haven't got an offer. Admissions tutors hate economists!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've gone for cambridge, the two London ones and Warwick right I remember seeing on the Cambridge thread right? So they're all super competitive with a bit of a wait
What's your fifth choice? You might hear from them soonish :smile:
You've gone for cambridge, the two London ones and Warwick right I remember seeing on the Cambridge thread right? So they're all super competitive with a bit of a wait
What's your fifth choice? You might hear from them soonish :smile:

My fifth choice was Surrey and I got an AAA offer. I wish I could have the replies now as I have no motivation to do school work. I think I have a better chance at Cambridge than at LSE but even so, those chances are tremendously slim for anybody!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
My fifth choice was Surrey and I got an AAA offer. I wish I could have the replies now as I have no motivation to do school work. I think I have a better chance at Cambridge than at LSE but even so, those chances are tremendously slim for anybody!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah at least with Cambridge you know when you'll hear but the other 3 are so unpredictable :rolleyes:
Does anyone have offers for Economics at Warwick? I've got one for Bath but UCL and LSE take ages. Also, for those applying to LSE what are the 4 week and 6 week emails about if you've got that far. Cambridge is just a waiting thing so it's annoying.
I'm just going to revise all my maths and economics that I've done this year and last year and keep on top of extra reading, might try and reread parts of some of the books in my ps
But I think my school might do some prep with me too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's cool :smile: are you going to look at any of your stuff from other subjects? My friend from the year above said in her interview last year they asked her about like, Chemistry or Biology or whatever science she was doing? I can't for the life of me figure out why they would ask that in an economics interview though :/
I guess we all agree that economics is the most important and useful subject to study :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Oh that's cool :smile: are you going to look at any of your stuff from other subjects? My friend from the year above said in her interview last year they asked her about like, Chemistry or Biology or whatever science she was doing? I can't for the life of me figure out why they would ask that in an economics interview though :/

Well I only still do English Lit this year as well and I cant imagine there'd be much to say on that, nor on Chinese which I did last year, unless they were Chinese and then my poor ability would really come out :colondollar:

It's mainly maths I'm going to focus and keeping up to date with The Economist and stuff
Well I only still do English Lit this year as well and I cant imagine there'd be much to say on that, nor on Chinese which I did last year, unless they were Chinese and then my poor ability would really come out :colondollar:

It's mainly maths I'm going to focus and keeping up to date with The Economist and stuff

Okay, thank you! :smile:
Original post by kohakz
Does anyone have offers for Economics at Warwick? I've got one for Bath but UCL and LSE take ages. Also, for those applying to LSE what are the 4 week and 6 week emails about if you've got that far. Cambridge is just a waiting thing so it's annoying.

Hi, just wondering what are your stats? And how long did Bath take to give you an offer?
Thanks
It took about a week.

GCSEs: 11A* + (A in OCR FSMQ - can't get A* in that)
A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics AS
Cambridge Pre-U (equivalent to A level) - French, GPR (irrelevant)

Results: A*AAAD1D1
A* because the way our school does further maths is to do all the maths as and a2 in one year and then all the further maths in the next.
Reply 1036
What is everyone's reasons for studying at Economics at University?

I see loads of applicants achieving solid A/A* in respected science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I'm curious to know why they don't choose a STEM degree such as Engineering,Medicine etc. Just want to know people who excel in science subjects decide to choose economics.
Original post by Fade
What is everyone's reasons for studying at Economics at University?

I see loads of applicants achieving solid A/A* in respected science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I'm curious to know why they don't choose a STEM degree such as Engineering,Medicine etc. Just want to know people who excel in science subjects decide to choose economics.

Economics is a science so it's basically included in STEM anyway. This is especially the case at LSE/UCL where there's absolutely no compulsory essay writing so the entire degree is essentially maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1038
Original post by Bloxorus
Economics is a science so it's basically included in STEM anyway. This is especially the case at LSE/UCL where there's absolutely no compulsory essay writing so the entire degree is essentially maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think loads of people would classify it as a social science, not a rigid natural "science" and thus not include in STEM.

At other universities bar LSE/UCL, there is less mathematical content and more essay writing right?

Still, what attracts people to study economics? I love the subject but for others is it the job prospects and pay after obtaining the degree?
Original post by Fade
I think loads of people would classify it as a social science, not a rigid natural "science" and thus not include in STEM.

At other universities bar LSE/UCL, there is less mathematical content and more essay writing right?

Still, what attracts people to study economics? I love the subject but for others is it the job prospects and pay after obtaining the degree?

As far as I'm aware, everywhere else has compulsory essay writing. Cambridge is still extremely mathematical, but I believe there are compulsory history modules in the first year.

I personally chose to study economics because I enjoyed maths and I also had a strong interest for the subject itself. I think you're right about people studying it for the job prospects and pay. For a career in finance/investment banking, there really isn't a better route in than studying economics at a target university and I think this is a lot of peoples motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest