The Student Room Group

How to minimize the maximum?

For example, how to decide what 'a' is, in order to minimize the following:

max1aσi2max | 1-a \sigma_i^2|

where σi\sigma_i is sequence of numbers, or entries of a n-by-1 matrix. Suppose σn\sigma_n and σ1\sigma_1 are the smallest and the largest elements in that matrix.

I don't even know how to start. Can anyone help me?
Original post by Jundong
For example, how to decide what 'a' is, in order to minimize the following:

max1aσi2max | 1-a \sigma_i^2|

where σi\sigma_i is sequence of numbers, or entries of a n-by-1 matrix. Suppose σn\sigma_n and σ1\sigma_1 are the smallest and the largest elements in that matrix.

I don't even know how to start. Can anyone help me?

Under what circumstances will 1aσi2|1-a \sigma_i^2| be large? (Never mind "largest" for the moment.)
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
Under what circumstances will 1aσi2|1-a \sigma_i^2| be large? (Never mind "largest" for the moment.)

Sorry to reply you so late.
When I consider this minimax question (never done that before), I am more worried about the minimum.
I think the limit of the whole thing must be less that 1. In order to do that, I think I need to choose aa to be something like 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1 ^2}, where σ12\sigma_1^2 is the largest element of σi\sigma_i? Then maximum of that thing would be
1aσn2|1-a \sigma_n^2|
where σn\sigma_n is the smallest element. So I need to choose something between 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2} and 1σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_n^2}.

That is what I have got so far.
Original post by Jundong
Sorry to reply you so late.
When I consider this minimax question (never done that before), I am more worried about the minimum.

Quite right: I was just trying to get you to play with the problem a bit. Don't worry about that, then.

I think the limit of the whole thing must be less that 1. In order to do that, I think I need to choose aa to be something like 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1 ^2}, where σ12\sigma_1^2 is the largest element of σi\sigma_i? Then maximum of that thing would be
1aσn2|1-a \sigma_n^2|
where σn\sigma_n is the smallest element. So I need to choose something between 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2} and 1σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_n^2}.

That is what I have got so far.

If you chose a=1σ12a=\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2}, let's suppose σn=1\sigma_n = 1 and σ1=110\sigma_1 = \frac{1}{10}. What, then, is max(1aσi2)\text{max}(|1-a \sigma_i^2|)?
(I think I've understood your working so far, but I might be wrong. Let me know if my question makes no sense in the light of your current working.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Smaug123
Quite right: I was just trying to get you to play with the problem a bit. Don't worry about that, then.

If you chose a=1σ12a=\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2}, let's suppose σn=1\sigma_n = 1 and σ1=110\sigma_1 = \frac{1}{10}. What, then, is max(1aσi2)\text{max}(|1-a \sigma_i^2|)?
(I think I've understood your working so far, but I might be wrong. Let me know if my question makes no sense in the light of your current working.)

Yes, your question makes sense to me. So I need to choose something between 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2} and 1σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_n^2}, right? For example,

1σ12+σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2+\sigma_n^2}
But so far, we only discussed the logical behind the question. How can I come up with an algebraic answer?
Reply 5
And, even I know the correct answer, how can I prove it is the minimax?
Original post by Jundong
Yes, your question makes sense to me. So I need to choose something between 1σ12\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2} and 1σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_n^2}, right? For example,

1σ12+σn2\frac{1}{\sigma_1^2+\sigma_n^2}
But so far, we only discussed the logical behind the question. How can I come up with an algebraic answer?
I don't think you're going to come up with an algebraic answer without talking about the logic of the situation.

(And the logic of the situation should explain to you how to justify your answer).

A heuristic I will offer you: If you have two functions f(x), g(x) and f is decreasing and g is increasing, then if x minimizes max{f(x), g(x)} then f(x) = g(x).
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
I don't think you're going to come up with an algebraic answer without talking about the logic of the situation.

(And the logic of the situation should explain to you how to justify your answer).

A heuristic I will offer you: If you have two functions f(x), g(x) and f is decreasing and g is increasing, then if x minimizes max{f(x), g(x)} then f(x) = g(x).

Thank you!! And Smaug!!

Problem solved!!

Quick Reply

Latest